Diamond CPUs (not a joke)

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
This is an interesting one... These guys can grow big diamonds. Diamonds have exceptional thermal conductivity... So, it is theoretically possible to use diamonds to create diamond CPUs that will endure operation at much higher temperatures than current CPUs will.

The link:<A HREF="http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.09/diamond.html?pg=1&topic=&topic_set=" target="_new">The New Diamond Age</A>!!

<i>So, Intel: See? Prescott should have been made out of diamond wafers!</i>
Today's speedy microprocessors run hot - at upwards of 200 degrees Fahrenheit. In fact, they can't go much faster without failing. Diamond microchips, on the other hand, could handle much higher temperatures, allowing them to run at speeds that would liquefy ordinary silicon. But manufacturers have been loath even to consider using the precious material, because it has never been possible to produce large diamond wafers affordably.
<i><font color=red>You never change the existing reality by fighting it. Instead, create a new model that makes the old one obsolete</font color=red> - Buckminster Fuller </i>

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Yeah, this one is hot!!

But I've got a cool one here: <A HREF="http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/02/11/HNeden_1.html" target="_new">Via's CPU line</A> now has 1Ghz processors dissipating some 7W. This is less than 10 times what a typical Intel/AMD CPU dissipates (much less than prescott, heh)... Now <b><font color=blue>that's cool!</b></font color=blue>

Unfortunately, though, it's so cool that its performance levels will probably make you think the whole damned processor is frozen... (or at least, it'll not perform well...)

<i><font color=red>You never change the existing reality by fighting it. Instead, create a new model that makes the old one obsolete</font color=red> - Buckminster Fuller </i>

AnnihilatorX

Distinguished
May 14, 2003
Though diamond can handle excessive temperature of 3500 degrees, making it is a poor conductor of heat, and electricity. It has also no semiconducting properties.

Whisper

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2003
But I've got a cool one here: Via's CPU line now has 1Ghz processors dissipating some 7W. This is less than 10 times what a typical Intel/AMD CPU dissipates (much less than prescott, heh)... Now that's cool!
Intel's Pentium-M at 1.1 GHz also only dissipates 12 Watt. Ok that's nearly double but it has a 1 MB cache compared to the VIA's 64 kB cache. Still a nice achievement that's very useful for really small laptops of course, and the Pentium-M low-voltage probably costs a lot more.

Whisper

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2003
Though diamond can handle excessive temperature of 3500 degrees, making it is a poor conductor of heat, and electricity. It has also no semiconducting properties.
I've heard the opposite: <A HREF="http://www.eetimes.com/at/hpm/news/OEG20030822S0005" target="_new">NTT verifies diamond semiconductor operation at 81 GHz</A>.

coylter

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003
in 5 years:

-No you should not overclock that Amd 45000+ At more than 34ghz , because you will go over 430C.
-But Amd say that their chip support 400C
-Yea but you will shorten the life of your cpu
-Hoh i see.....heuu should i put a fan on my stock heatsink then?

Athlon 2700xp+ (oc: 3200xp+ with 200fsb) , Radeon 9800pro (oc: 410/370) , 512mb pc3200 (3-3-3-2), Asus A7N8X-X

CaptainNemo

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
all very interesting - I'm just glad that the DeBeers pseudobusiness is on the verge of extinction.

If a tree falls on coop, but noone is there to hear it - do less people rejoice?

Whisper

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2003
uhh, hardly any metal melts at such a "low" temp..
Well, I looked it up and aluminium melts at 660 degrees. But it already starts to become easily deformable at 470 degrees. Either way it's not healthy to have such metal at high temperatures for a very long time. You're literally burning it and it slowly sublimates.

Which reminds me... what would they do with the interconnections? If it's aluminium or copper it definitely won't withstand these temperatures for long. These 'wires' are so tiny that any heavy temperature fluctuation could just vaporize, break or deform them.

Hmm, nanotubes...

They can add positively or negatively charge boron to the diamond as it's being made... that was the key.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

cdpage

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2001
perhaps it will not ever reach such tempuratures to worry about it

at what temp would you think the interconnets could tollerate safely, a few hundred anyhow...what ever style of heat disapator is used it would likely be able to keep it all cool enough.

that is a rather funny out look on the future THGC conversations.

<b><A HREF="http://www.1112.net/lastpage.html" target="_new">Finally...the LAST PAGE</A></b>
ASUS P4S8X-P4 2.4B - 2x512M DDR333 - ATI 9500Pro - WD80G HD(8M) - SAMSUNG SV0844D 8G HD - LG 16X DVD - Yamaha F1 CDRW

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
i think at 430c your desk would combust. and your case would be too hot to touch, let alone put a plastic media into it. i dont think 430c is what they had in mind, i bet they were thinking more along the lines of 100c, thats still pretty damn hot.

wpdclan.com cs game server - 69.12.5.119:27015
now featuring (optional) cheating death!

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002

diamond is pure carbon

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Diamond is a semiconductor, and an EXCELLENT conductor of heat (much better than even copper).

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

Whisper

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2003
i think at 430c your desk would combust. and your case would be too hot to touch, let alone put a plastic media into it. i dont think 430c is what they had in mind, i bet they were thinking more along the lines of 100c, thats still pretty damn hot.
These chips would probably only be a few square millimeter in size. It's like having a cigarette lighter in your case, nothing to really worry about if you can keep the other components shielded. Even if it's bigger than that, much still depends on the cooling method, and it might even work passively with a small heatsink. Free convection improves linearly with temperature difference. So the hotter the chip is allowed to be, the more effective it becomes at actually loosing its heat.

A bit similar, my girlfriend will be experimenting with sonoluminescence this semester. She will produce temperatures close to a million degrees in water. That's no problem at all since it's focussed on just a minuscule gas bubble, and the surrounding water won't even boil!

So, whenever we talk about temperatures it's very important to mention at what scale it happens. Actually it's more useful to talk about the amount of Watts dissipated.

Causeican

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2003
At higher temperature diamonds behavioural properties become like those of silicon, cant remember what the exact temperatures are, (and too lazy to go back and look it up).

"" Society is to blame ""

cdpage

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2001
thats what i figured...it'd be so small heat build up would not be a problem for other eliments inside the case.

So the hotter the chip is allowed to be, the more effective it becomes at actually loosing its heat.
i didn't realy think about it that way before but that makes sence too...sorta like driving a car 100Km/h (60mph) and taking you foot off the gas you will slow down 50Km/h(30mph)to 50km/h(30mph)in say 10 seconds, but if you were doing 150km/h(90mph)it would only take 5 seconds to drop down to 100km/h(60mph)

the faster or hotter something is the steapper the curve is back to nutral

<b><A HREF="http://www.1112.net/lastpage.html" target="_new">Finally...the LAST PAGE</A></b>
ASUS P4S8X-P4 2.4B - 2x512M DDR333 - ATI 9500Pro - WD80G HD(8M) - SAMSUNG SV0844D 8G HD - LG 16X DVD - Yamaha F1 CDRW

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've read about that before. But that's not the only way to make diamonds, in fact it's probably not the most practicle for making wafers!

A LONG time ago someone figured out how to make a diamond film on a plastic lense. This idea is probably already in use for making scratch resistant sun glasses at the high end of that business.

The problem is, the film is only microscopicly thin. Not good for making stones, but PERFECT for making wafers (just build up several layers of the diamond film on a substrate).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

cdpage

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2001
ooo wow realy? thats seems more promising

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
O no!! One of my good friends works with sonoluminescence and u just had to mention it hehe. Where she working at (please don't say RPI...)
They using water? I thought it'd be more like acetone....
Anyway, best of luck to her getting her experiment underway, that shite gets annoyingly touchy so u have to be real precise for it to work...

The one and only "Monstrous BULLgarian!"