Scott

Yesterday, a neighbour while trying to send mail using yahoo, was
presented with a screen that had funny characters in a box and was
asked to type the characters into a blank line before the mail would
be sent. These characters are similar to what you see for secure sign
ups at some sites, but I have never heard of it for sending email.
I know this isn't xp issue but perhaps someone here can point me in
the right direction

It's an anti-spam strategy implemented by Yahoo.

Spambots can't "read" and respond to the dialog
you describe, and therefore can't (well, can't send
as much) spam to the recipient.

You're fine.

"Scott" <diabloe76@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Yesterday, a neighbour while trying to send mail using yahoo, was
> presented with a screen that had funny characters in a box and was
> asked to type the characters into a blank line before the mail would
> be sent. These characters are similar to what you see for secure sign
> ups at some sites, but I have never heard of it for sending email.
> I know this isn't xp issue but perhaps someone here can point me in
> the right direction

hotmail does it to me from time to time
--
xp-pro,sp2,ff1.0.6,40gb,380mb
vig mobo,900gz,

"V Green" wrote:

> It's an anti-spam strategy implemented by Yahoo.
>
> Spambots can't "read" and respond to the dialog
> you describe, and therefore can't (well, can't send
> as much) spam to the recipient.
>
> You're fine.
>

> "Scott" <diabloe76@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Yesterday, a neighbour while trying to send mail using yahoo, was
> > presented with a screen that had funny characters in a box and was
> > asked to type the characters into a blank line before the mail would
> > be sent. These characters are similar to what you see for secure sign
> > ups at some sites, but I have never heard of it for sending email.
> > I know this isn't xp issue but perhaps someone here can point me in
> > the right direction

Scott

Thanks for the response was concerned it was spyware..