cd-rw disk drive (please help!)

Had one of these before, but after our computer went wrong awhile ago, we had
someone to fix the computer, who informed us that the cd-rw disk drive had
gone? We have purchased a new one which specifies that it is specially
designed for xp. however, once fitted and the computer started, a message
read that it was incompatable. the instructions which came with the driver
were very brief.
they say set the driver as master or slave (i have no idea how to do this).
they go on to say set the jumper(?) to a slave device if your cd-rw writer
connects to a primary IDE port (?) or if a secondary IDE port then set to
master. I wonder if this is some reason why it does not appear to work, as
the startup message informing us that it is not compatable mentions something
about set in master drive? i have no idea how to change these drives! help!
1 answer Last reply
More about disk drive please help

    Katie you have obviously taken a look inside your pc. Now,as you know there
    is a ribbon connector that runs from a connector on your CD down to a
    connector on your motherboard. Look first at the motherboard. Does the
    motherboard have two of these connectors attached to it? They are usually
    side by side with another smaller one (for a floppy drive) to the left or
    right of them. These are known as the IDE connections.
    The next thing to look for is do you have anything else connected to the
    cables? Obviously you have your hard drive (you shouldn't connect the CD to
    the slave connector of the hard drive. The CD is better on its own IDE
    connection). If you are attaching the CD to the Hard drive (this is the
    Primary IDE port) ribbon cable then you would need to make the CD the slave
    drive because the hard drive must be the master.
    If you look at the back of the CD you will see a long connector and a power
    connector. You will also see a samll set of pins, one set of which will be
    covered with a plastic cover. These are the jumper settings. the details of
    master, slave, cable select etc will be in the cd manual. All you need do is
    get a pair of tweezers and gently remove the plastic cover from the one set
    of pins and slide it over the correct set of pins, i.e., slave or cable
    select 9see the CD manual).
    Another possibility is that you have the cable round the wrong way. Most
    modern pc's prevent this by having a groove to indicate the right and wrong
    way of inserting the cable. Usually the cable has a pink line all along the
    first (pin one) wire.

    --
    John Barnett MVP
    Associate Expert

    The information in this post is supplied "as is". No warranty of any kind,
    either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the accuracy,
    reliability or content of this post. The Author shall not be liable for any
    direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the use
    of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this post..

    "katiefox" <katiefox@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Had one of these before, but after our computer went wrong awhile ago, we
    > had
    > someone to fix the computer, who informed us that the cd-rw disk drive had
    > gone? We have purchased a new one which specifies that it is specially
    > designed for xp. however, once fitted and the computer started, a message
    > read that it was incompatable. the instructions which came with the driver
    > were very brief.
    > they say set the driver as master or slave (i have no idea how to do
    > this).
    > they go on to say set the jumper(?) to a slave device if your cd-rw writer
    > connects to a primary IDE port (?) or if a secondary IDE port then set to
    > master. I wonder if this is some reason why it does not appear to work, as
    > the startup message informing us that it is not compatable mentions
    > something
    > about set in master drive? i have no idea how to change these drives!
    > help!

Computers CD-Rom Disk Drive Windows XP