TECH:Proper EM Playfield Cleaning Sequence?

Hi Guys.
I've read about many different ways to clean a playfield, and I just
wanted you opinions as I start my next project.

I've got a 76 Surf Champ that has a lot of ball swirl marks, colors
are very dull, and just looks plain dirty. It needs only a very minor
touchup near a pop bumper. Based on what I've read, here is what I
was planning to do:

1. Remove all PF part.
2. Vacuum off all loose dirt.
3. Remove dirt and grim with Simple Green on a paper towel.
4. Strip old wax with Naptha.
5. Clean with Magic Eraser and 70% isopropyl alcohol.
6. Novus 2 entire PF.
7. Wax with Carnuba as final step.

How does this sound? Any suggestions? I've read that Millwax might be
good for Step 3 instead of Simple Green.

Also, how do you handle the wood surfaces, like under the flippers
that are scratched up from the flippers being set too low. Also, the
wood side rails? Should they be treated in a different fashion?

Thanks again for your help!

Mike

your sequence sounds good, insert the touch up between step 5 and 6.

The wood surfaces that are scratched either need touchup or nothing
(leave em alone, just wax as normal). The side rails should be removed
in step #1, and I clean and wax them out of the machine. I don't put
them back until after waxing the field (that way you get no wax in the
corner)

>1. Remove all PF part.

don't forget all switches and targets- this makes the later steps easy.

>2. Vacuum off all loose dirt.

I prefer a paint brush.

>3. Remove dirt and grim with Simple Green on a paper towel.

Be careful here, but you are on the right track

>4. Strip old wax with Naptha.

That will help, but be careful again.

>5. Clean with Magic Eraser and 70% isopropyl alcohol.

That is what I do. Be careful on rubbing through the paint. The yellows
will be easy to wear down.

>. Novus 2 entire PF.

Do this several times with a 4" buffer if you have one.

>7. Wax with Carnuba as final step.

That is pretty much what I do.

Kirb

BillB

sounds good to me, when are you coming over to do mine?

--
billb http://www.themeatrix.com/
Every man has his price except the honest man. You get him for

"NJ Mike" <mikeb58@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Guys.
> I've read about many different ways to clean a playfield, and I just
> wanted you opinions as I start my next project.
>
> I've got a 76 Surf Champ that has a lot of ball swirl marks, colors
> are very dull, and just looks plain dirty. It needs only a very minor
> touchup near a pop bumper. Based on what I've read, here is what I
> was planning to do:
>
> 1. Remove all PF part.
> 2. Vacuum off all loose dirt.
> 3. Remove dirt and grim with Simple Green on a paper towel.
> 4. Strip old wax with Naptha.
> 5. Clean with Magic Eraser and 70% isopropyl alcohol.
> 6. Novus 2 entire PF.
> 7. Wax with Carnuba as final step.
>
> How does this sound? Any suggestions? I've read that Millwax might be
> good for Step 3 instead of Simple Green.
>
> Also, how do you handle the wood surfaces, like under the flippers
> that are scratched up from the flippers being set too low. Also, the
> wood side rails? Should they be treated in a different fashion?
>
> Thanks again for your help!
>
> Mike

I think the Magic Eraser should be used with 91% alcohol instead of
70%. Mark (CARGPB5)

BillG

Distinguished
May 31, 2004

You might want to try Millswax after Simple Green. I like it on older
playfields as it has petroluem distallates the seem the rejuvenate the
older playfield finish/paint. This would give you a better idea of
just how much needs to be done with the Magic Eraser.

billg

I find 91% a little harsh and tends to soften the paint more quickly.
Maybe it's just me though. 70% works just dandy with little to no color
lifting.

--
Cliffy - CARGPB2
A passion for pinball!