Unwanted program loads at startup

How do I get rid of a program that for some reason loads each time I
turn on the computer or reboot? I dont want to get rid of the program
but just not have it load up until I want to use it,

Windows XP Home

Missy Brown

Open up the Run dialog box, run MSCONFIG, and un-check the program you do not
want to run. Then save and reboot. If you want to run the program
subsequently, you can probably find it somewhere in the list of programs you can
launch normally.

Altogether too many software packages these days seem to think of themselves as
the most important in the world (or maybe the marketing types influenced the
software design), and they insert themselves into the system startup when
installed. The net result is a lot of potentially unwanted programs being
launched at system startup, occupying valuable system RAM, and slowing down
overall system performance. You'd think the turkeys who design this stuff would
at least give you the option to be run when the system starts up. But,
Noooooooo! At least Mozilla, Spybot, Filezilla and most of the other freeware
is designed sensibly! ... Ben Myers

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 16:06:57 GMT, Maria Brown <mbrown2@rgv.rr.com> wrote:

>How do I get rid of a program that for some reason loads each time I
>turn on the computer or reboot? I dont want to get rid of the program
>but just not have it load up until I want to use it,
>
>Windows XP Home
>
>Missy Brown

Tried this and I still have the same thing happening!

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 16:22:33 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
(Ben Myers) wrote:

>Open up the Run dialog box, run MSCONFIG, and un-check the program you do not
>want to run. Then save and reboot. If you want to run the program
>subsequently, you can probably find it somewhere in the list of programs you can
>launch normally.
>
>Altogether too many software packages these days seem to think of themselves as
>the most important in the world (or maybe the marketing types influenced the
>software design), and they insert themselves into the system startup when
>installed. The net result is a lot of potentially unwanted programs being
>launched at system startup, occupying valuable system RAM, and slowing down
>overall system performance. You'd think the turkeys who design this stuff would
>at least give you the option to be run when the system starts up. But,
>Noooooooo! At least Mozilla, Spybot, Filezilla and most of the other freeware
>is designed sensibly! ... Ben Myers
>
>On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 16:06:57 GMT, Maria Brown <mbrown2@rgv.rr.com> wrote:
>

>>How do I get rid of a program that for some reason loads each time I
>>turn on the computer or reboot? I dont want to get rid of the program
>>but just not have it load up until I want to use it,
>>
>>Windows XP Home
>>
>>Missy Brown

What program is it?
Are you up to date on Windows updates, antivirus and firewall software, and
have you scanned the system for spyware (www.lavasoftusa.com)?

"Maria Brown" <mbrown2@rgv.rr.com> wrote in message
> Tried this and I still have the same thing happening!
>

> On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 16:22:33 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
> (Ben Myers) wrote:
>
> >Open up the Run dialog box, run MSCONFIG, and un-check the program you do
not
> >want to run. Then save and reboot. If you want to run the program
> >subsequently, you can probably find it somewhere in the list of programs
you can
> >launch normally.
> >
> >Altogether too many software packages these days seem to think of
themselves as
> >the most important in the world (or maybe the marketing types influenced
the
> >software design), and they insert themselves into the system startup when
> >installed. The net result is a lot of potentially unwanted programs
being
> >launched at system startup, occupying valuable system RAM, and slowing
down
> >overall system performance. You'd think the turkeys who design this
stuff would
> >at least give you the option to be run when the system starts up. But,
> >Noooooooo! At least Mozilla, Spybot, Filezilla and most of the other
freeware
> >is designed sensibly! ... Ben Myers
> >
> >On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 16:06:57 GMT, Maria Brown <mbrown2@rgv.rr.com> wrote:
> >

> >>How do I get rid of a program that for some reason loads each time I
> >>turn on the computer or reboot? I dont want to get rid of the program
> >>but just not have it load up until I want to use it,
> >>
> >>Windows XP Home
> >>
> >>Missy Brown

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

> Open up the Run dialog box, run MSCONFIG, and un-check the
program you do not
> want to run. Then save and reboot. If you want to run the
program
> subsequently, you can probably find it somewhere in the list of
programs you can
> launch normally.

Wow, this is new to me. Do I need any of the things in here to
load automatically? I don't know what most of them are. Here is
what comes up in my 600 series laptop, running under XP:

Startup Item:

Ati2mdxx

SynTPLpr

SynTPEnh

GWMDMpi

GWHotKey

directCD

Navapw32

IPMon32 SBC Yahoo

CFD BroadJump

qttask QuickTime

dumprep 0 -k system

WkDetect Microsoft Works

ypager Yahoo messenger

I assume the two SynTP items are for the touchpad, why are there
two? Do I need both?
Ati2mdxx seems to be for system tray access to ATI video card, but
the video card does not appear in my system tray.
From what I see on the internet, CFD seems to be essentially
spyware from my ISP. Is this true? (Ad-Aware and Spy-bot don't
pick it up).
I don't use hotkeys. What is the other gateway thingy: GWMDMpi?
"dumprep 0 -k", something about memory dumps...?
Aside from NAV and perhaps one of the SynTP items, do I need any
of the others to run at startup?

Thanks,

Steve

Maria,

If the program persists in running, then it is most likely spyware, ad-ware,
malware, worm, or other pain in the butt software that you really do not want
running. Ever.

First, download Spybot 1.3 and all of its updates. Run the updated Spybot,
removing everything that it finds.

Next, download and run Ad-Aware and all of its updates. Same thing. Run
Ad-Aware and delete everything it finds.

Now reboot. If the varmint is still there, post info indicating what it is.
There are also some one-off virus removal tools which remove a single virus.

If the varmint is gone, go to the Windows Update site and install every critical
patch and security fix available.

Finally, if the varmint is a virus, you need to install and pay for a regular
subscription for anti-virus software. Norton, McAfee, Trend are three of the
popular ones... Ben Myers

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 18:29:56 GMT, Maria Brown <mbrown2@rgv.rr.com> wrote:

>Tried this and I still have the same thing happening!
>

>On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 16:22:33 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
>(Ben Myers) wrote:
>
>>Open up the Run dialog box, run MSCONFIG, and un-check the program you do not
>>want to run. Then save and reboot. If you want to run the program
>>subsequently, you can probably find it somewhere in the list of programs you can
>>launch normally.
>>
>>Altogether too many software packages these days seem to think of themselves as
>>the most important in the world (or maybe the marketing types influenced the
>>software design), and they insert themselves into the system startup when
>>installed. The net result is a lot of potentially unwanted programs being
>>launched at system startup, occupying valuable system RAM, and slowing down
>>overall system performance. You'd think the turkeys who design this stuff would
>>at least give you the option to be run when the system starts up. But,
>>Noooooooo! At least Mozilla, Spybot, Filezilla and most of the other freeware
>>is designed sensibly! ... Ben Myers
>>
>>On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 16:06:57 GMT, Maria Brown <mbrown2@rgv.rr.com> wrote:
>>

>>>How do I get rid of a program that for some reason loads each time I
>>>turn on the computer or reboot? I dont want to get rid of the program
>>>but just not have it load up until I want to use it,
>>>
>>>Windows XP Home
>>>
>>>Missy Brown

Yes, CFD is a sort of spyware. You can remove it.
Direct CD is Roxio's CD burning software.
I don't know what in WKDetect is. Why Micro$oft would stick something in
startup for Works is beyond me. If you do not use Works, you can remove it.

Otherwise, if you don't know what a program does, leave it. Far better than
wasting time experimenting.

MSCONFIG first came available with Windows 98 and Windows ME. It is not there
in the earlier NT family of Windows, but is available with XP... Ben Myers

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 18:37:50 GMT, "Steve" <crunkNO@SPAMmath.sjsu.edu> wrote:

>> Open up the Run dialog box, run MSCONFIG, and un-check the
>program you do not
>> want to run. Then save and reboot. If you want to run the
>program
>> subsequently, you can probably find it somewhere in the list of
>programs you can
>> launch normally.
>
>Wow, this is new to me. Do I need any of the things in here to
>load automatically? I don't know what most of them are. Here is
>what comes up in my 600 series laptop, running under XP:
>
>Startup Item:
>
>Ati2mdxx
>
>SynTPLpr
>
>SynTPEnh
>
>GWMDMpi
>
>GWHotKey
>
>directCD
>
>Navapw32
>
>IPMon32 SBC Yahoo
>
>CFD BroadJump
>
>qttask QuickTime
>
>dumprep 0 -k system
>
>WkDetect Microsoft Works
>
>ypager Yahoo messenger
>
>I assume the two SynTP items are for the touchpad, why are there
>two? Do I need both?
>Ati2mdxx seems to be for system tray access to ATI video card, but
>the video card does not appear in my system tray.
>From what I see on the internet, CFD seems to be essentially
>spyware from my ISP. Is this true? (Ad-Aware and Spy-bot don't
>pick it up).
>I don't use hotkeys. What is the other gateway thingy: GWMDMpi?
>"dumprep 0 -k", something about memory dumps...?
>Aside from NAV and perhaps one of the SynTP items, do I need any
>of the others to run at startup?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Steve

I found this neat little piece of software a few months back and highly
recommend it. Just download and install the Startup Control Panel. It adds
an applet in the Control Panel called "Startup". From here it is easy to
disable any program from starting. Works with all Windows operation systems

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

> How do I get rid of a program that for some reason loads each time I
> turn on the computer or reboot? I dont want to get rid of the program
> but just not have it load up until I want to use it,
>
> Windows XP Home
>
> Missy Brown

This program is especially useful for versions of Windows which do not have
MSCONFIG: Windows NT 4.0, Windows 95, Windows 2000. It offers more detail than
MSCONFIG, too... Ben Myers

"Steve Murphree" <smurphr1@midsouth.rr.com> wrote in message
> I found this neat little piece of software a few months back and highly
> recommend it. Just download and install the Startup Control Panel. It
adds
> an applet in the Control Panel called "Startup". From here it is easy to
> disable any program from starting. Works with all Windows operation
systems

> http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
>

> "Maria Brown" <mbrown2@rgv.rr.com> wrote in message
> >

> > How do I get rid of a program that for some reason loads each time I
> > turn on the computer or reboot? I dont want to get rid of the program
> > but just not have it load up until I want to use it,
> >
> > Windows XP Home
> >
> > Missy Brown
>
> Thanks Steve for this!!

Finallly fixed it. opened program and went into options. It was
set to load at startup. Just unchecked and now everything is a ok.

Instead of messing around with the msconfig file I have found "PC
Magazine's" Startup Cop very beneficial.

"Maria Brown" <mbrown2@rgv.rr.com> wrote in message

> How do I get rid of a program that for some reason loads each time I
> turn on the computer or reboot? I dont want to get rid of the program
> but just not have it load up until I want to use it,
>
> Windows XP Home
>
> Missy Brown

Startup Cop more or less duplicates msconfig and does the job a little bit
better. Startup Cop and similar programs are the only choice where msconfig is
not available, namely Win 95, Win NT, Win 2000. BTW, the Win 98 msconfig runs
OK on a Win 95 system.

Problem with Startup Cop now is that you have to be a paid subscriber to one of
the Ziff-Davis magazines or eZines to access the PC Magazine download area. Or
do you know another place where it can be downloaded? ... Ben Myers