viewing thumbnails kills explorer

In XP home, when I view thumbnails the explorer window instantly goes
away- instantly just vanishes. I cannot view any thumbnails. All
updates and services packs installed... any reports that SP2 could
cause this? It's a new issue that may have surfaced after that
update...
6 answers Last reply
More about viewing thumbnails kills explorer

    No not really a result of SP2. More likely a result of B(rowser) H(elper)
    O(bjects). Your shell (Explorer) is crashing.

    --
    George Hester
    _________________________________
    "looped" <none@available.com> wrote in message
    > In XP home, when I view thumbnails the explorer window instantly goes
    > away- instantly just vanishes. I cannot view any thumbnails. All
    > updates and services packs installed... any reports that SP2 could
    > cause this? It's a new issue that may have surfaced after that
    > update...

    On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 13:42:43 -0400, "George Hester"
    <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >No not really a result of SP2. More likely a result of B(rowser) H(elper)
    >O(bjects). Your shell (Explorer) is crashing.

    sounds correct - do you know of a fix?

    looped <none@available.com> writes:
    >On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 13:42:43 -0400, "George Hester"
    ><hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>No not really a result of SP2. More likely a result of B(rowser) H(elper)
    >>O(bjects). Your shell (Explorer) is crashing.

    >sounds correct - do you know of a fix?

    It seems like this problem only began being reported by hundreds
    and thousands of people after SP2 hit the streets. SP2 changed
    something about this and it has never been admitted or documented.

    There is a free little viewer shellexview that will list off many
    of the things going on behind the scenes with Windows Explorer.
    It will also let you disable these, one at a time, and you can
    then see whether the problem goes away or not.

    Don't be surprised to find 75 of these even if you have an almost
    bare machine. If you have been adding little things to the system
    it is possible to have hundreds of these things. Disabling them
    one at a time is a slow task. You can turn off all of them at
    once but that will make surprising parts of Windows Explorer stop
    operating as you might expect it to.

    It is possible that you can turn some or even all of these off and
    the problem won't go away. I fought that for months. It is also
    likely that problems like this give no clue about what the real
    problem is or put any event in the event log, even when Windows
    Explorer is repeatedly crashing, something which I believe is
    intentional.

    There is BHO Demon. Get version 1.0.0.3. Stay away from the installer
    version just get the bare zip.

    http://www.spywareinfo.com/downloads/bhod/

    If this doesn't find anything (remember it finds good ones too) we have to
    look at something else. That would be does there seem to be anything that
    you do which casues the shell to crash? There is an issue in IE (related to
    Windows Explorer) where xml files can cause this. Maybe switch to View |
    Details mode in Windows Explorer.

    --
    George Hester
    _________________________________

    On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 18:41:01 -0500, Don Taylor <dont@agora.rdrop.com>
    wrote:

    >looped <none@available.com> writes:
    >>On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 13:42:43 -0400, "George Hester"
    >><hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>>No not really a result of SP2. More likely a result of B(rowser) H(elper)
    >>>O(bjects). Your shell (Explorer) is crashing.
    >
    >>sounds correct - do you know of a fix?
    >
    >It seems like this problem only began being reported by hundreds
    >and thousands of people after SP2 hit the streets. SP2 changed
    >something about this and it has never been admitted or documented.
    >
    >There is a free little viewer shellexview that will list off many
    >of the things going on behind the scenes with Windows Explorer.
    >It will also let you disable these, one at a time, and you can
    >then see whether the problem goes away or not.
    >
    >Don't be surprised to find 75 of these even if you have an almost
    >bare machine. If you have been adding little things to the system
    >it is possible to have hundreds of these things. Disabling them
    >one at a time is a slow task. You can turn off all of them at
    >once but that will make surprising parts of Windows Explorer stop
    >operating as you might expect it to.
    >
    >It is possible that you can turn some or even all of these off and
    >the problem won't go away. I fought that for months. It is also
    >likely that problems like this give no clue about what the real
    >problem is or put any event in the event log, even when Windows
    >Explorer is repeatedly crashing, something which I believe is
    >intentional.

    shellexview enabled me to fix the issue - thanks

    On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 21:05:05 -0400, "George Hester"
    <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >There is BHO Demon. Get version 1.0.0.3. Stay away from the installer
    >version just get the bare zip.
    >
    >http://www.spywareinfo.com/downloads/bhod/
    >
    >If this doesn't find anything (remember it finds good ones too) we have to
    >look at something else. That would be does there seem to be anything that
    >you do which casues the shell to crash? There is an issue in IE (related to
    >Windows Explorer) where xml files can cause this. Maybe switch to View |
    >Details mode in Windows Explorer.

    I used shellexview to disable lots of stuff and the problem is fixed.

Windows XP Microsoft Explorer