Help with an error message

This is an erroe message that I get when I try to install any software
whenever I click on the setup file.
How do I fix this problem??
Error
---------------------------
Setup was unable to create the directory
"C:\DOCUME~1\DEFAULT\LOCALS~1\Temp\is-VP8F5.tmp".

Error 82: The directory or file cannot be created.
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------
4 answers Last reply
More about help error message

    Hi,

    Resolving problems with the Windows installer:
    http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Installation

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "encinodog" <encinodog@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > This is an erroe message that I get when I try to install any software
    > whenever I click on the setup file.
    > How do I fix this problem??
    > Error
    > ---------------------------
    > Setup was unable to create the directory
    > "C:\DOCUME~1\DEFAULT\LOCALS~1\Temp\is-VP8F5.tmp".
    >

    > Error 82: The directory or file cannot be created.
    > ---------------------------
    > OK
    > ---------------------------

    Hi Rick,
    Thanks for the info but I've updated the window installer and I've tried to
    do what you said with the run command but what files do I delete from the
    temp folders?

    I have 3 files in there; Cookies History Temp Internet Files
    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Resolving problems with the Windows installer:
    > http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Installation
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "encinodog" <encinodog@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > This is an erroe message that I get when I try to install any software
    > > whenever I click on the setup file.
    > > How do I fix this problem??
    > > Error
    > > ---------------------------
    > > Setup was unable to create the directory
    > > "C:\DOCUME~1\DEFAULT\LOCALS~1\Temp\is-VP8F5.tmp".
    > >

    > > Error 82: The directory or file cannot be created.
    > > ---------------------------
    > > OK
    > > ---------------------------

    Hi,

    Click start/run, type %userprofile%\local settings\temp and click ok. Then
    click edit/select all, then hit the delete key.

    --

    > Hi Rick,
    > Thanks for the info but I've updated the window installer and I've tried
    > do what you said with the run command but what files do I delete from the
    > temp folders?
    >
    > I have 3 files in there; Cookies History Temp Internet Files
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Resolving problems with the Windows installer:
    >> http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Installation
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "encinodog" <encinodog@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > This is an erroe message that I get when I try to install any software
    >> > whenever I click on the setup file.
    >> > How do I fix this problem??
    >> > Error
    >> > ---------------------------
    >> > Setup was unable to create the directory
    >> > "C:\DOCUME~1\DEFAULT\LOCALS~1\Temp\is-VP8F5.tmp".
    >> >

    >> > Error 82: The directory or file cannot be created.
    >> > ---------------------------
    >> > OK
    >> > ---------------------------

    Thanks for the help, it worked and everything seems fine.

    "encinodog" wrote:

    > This is an erroe message that I get when I try to install any software
    > whenever I click on the setup file.
    > How do I fix this problem??
    > Error
    > Setup was unable to create the directory
    > "C:\DOCUME~1\DEFAULT\LOCALS~1\Temp\is-VP8F5.tmp".
    >

    > Error 82: The directory or file cannot be created.
    > OK

Microsoft Error Message Windows XP