Dell DVD drive is not reading burned DVDs

bruno

I got a DVD that a friend burned but my drive does not read it. Lots
of error, all consistent. It's the first time I've tried reading such
a disc

The drive is identified as "HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8162B" and came on a
Dell 4600 last November. Who makes this thing? Is there any known
driver update that may allow it to read burned DVDs? I have no problem
with production DVDs.

Thanks,
Bruno

Is the burned DVD in a format your machine can read? And what is on the
DVD? Some copy protection does this.

--
Steve Williams

"Bruno" <myName@myISP.net> wrote in message
> I got a DVD that a friend burned but my drive does not read it. Lots
> of error, all consistent. It's the first time I've tried reading such
> a disc
>
> The drive is identified as "HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8162B" and came on a
> Dell 4600 last November. Who makes this thing? Is there any known
> driver update that may allow it to read burned DVDs? I have no problem
> with production DVDs.
>
> Thanks,
> Bruno

The organic entity known as Bruno communicated the following:

> The drive is identified as "HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8162B" and came on a
> Dell 4600 last November. Who makes this thing?

LG Electronics

--
Hans

Bohica

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2001

"LaVacheQuiRit" <i.dont.want.spam@xs4all.invalid> wrote in message
> The organic entity known as Bruno communicated the following:
>
> > The drive is identified as "HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8162B" and came on a
> > Dell 4600 last November. Who makes this thing?
>
> LG Electronics

Yep, You can bet your Lucky GoldStar! :)

bruno

"Steve W." <me@homer.org> wrote:

>Is the burned DVD in a format your machine can read? And what is on the
>DVD? Some copy protection does this.

Yes, it's in a format that the machine can (should) read. Actually, it
is able to show the main directory and copy some of the folders or
files. But it does take about 20 seconds to show the contents after
inserting the DVD, whereas a production DVD shows very quickly.