Msconfig - startup

GP

Distinguished
May 22, 2004

This is very interesting - thought everyone would like to know. I have a
Dell Computer - and was questioning Dell about the startup screen for
Msconfig. They told me to delete everything except - All Antivirus programs
- this is not what I have told to do from other resources.
Thanks for any input.

GP wrote:
> This is very interesting - thought everyone would like to know. I have a
> Dell Computer - and was questioning Dell about the startup screen for
> Msconfig. They told me to delete everything except - All Antivirus programs
> - this is not what I have told to do from other resources.
> Thanks for any input.

Don't call Dell anymore, except for hardware issues.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

"GP" <GP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This is very interesting - thought everyone would like to know. I have a
> Dell Computer - and was questioning Dell about the startup screen for
> Msconfig. They told me to delete everything except - All Antivirus
> programs
> - this is not what I have told to do from other resources.
> Thanks for any input.

It might be a useful tip as a diagnostic measure, but as far as I'm
concerned, what you want starting with your computer is a decision only you
can make, because you know what you use your computer for, so you know what
you want starting automatically, and what you'd prefer to hunt down and
start manually.

For instance, you might want things like your firewall, your mail client,
your anti-spyware software, or other things like that to launch
automatically. Some people want their messenger/chat client on
automatically, or photo or scanner software, or other programs to launch
right away because they use them all the time.

Another thing is that msconfig is really meant as a diagnostic/testing tool.
If you really want to keep things from running at startup, there are better
places to do so.

In news:D4A015F1-1E3D-407F-BCBB-559342120940@microsoft.com,
GP <GP@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> This is very interesting - thought everyone would like to know.
> have a Dell Computer - and was questioning Dell about the
> startup
> screen for Msconfig. They told me to delete everything
> except - All
> Antivirus programs - this is not what I have told to do from
> other
> resources.

From Dell's perspective, the less you have running on your
computer the easier it will be for them to fix a problem if you
call them with one.

Your own perspective may well be, and often is, entirely
different. You should want to have autostarting those programs
whatever programs are useful to you and are worth whatever impact
on performance they may have. Nobody--not Dell, not me, not
anyone else here--can make the determination for you of what
those programs may be. You have to decide for yourself.

Here's my standard blurb on this subject:

On each program you don't want to start automatically, check its
Options to see if it has the choice not to start (make sure you
actually choose the option not to run it, not just a "don't show
icon" option). Many can easily and best be stopped that way. If
that doesn't work, run MSCONFIG from the Start | Run line, and on
the Startup tab, uncheck the programs you don't want to start
automatically.

However, if I were you, I wouldn't do this just for the purpose
of running the minimum number of programs. Despite what many
people tell you, you should be concerned, not with how *many* of
these programs you run, but *which*. Some of them can hurt
performance severely, but others have no effect on performance.

Don't just stop programs from running willy-nilly. What you
should do is determine what each program is, what its value is to
you, and what the cost in performance is of its running all the
time. You can get more information about these at
http://castlecops.com/StartupList.html. If you can't find it
there, try google searches and ask about specifics here.

Once you have that information, you can make an intelligent
informed decision about what you want to keep and what you want
to get rid of.

Please reply to the newsgroup

GP

Entries in start-up appear because you have installed a program that puts
them there.. many have a facility to remove the start-up entry in their
preferences or options.. MSCONFIG should be seen as a diagnostic tool, not a
fix..

One also has to remember that not all entries consume huge amounts or
resources.. I have nine running presently.. they are more useful to me than
the small amount of memory that might be recovered if they were not there..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"GP" <GP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This is very interesting - thought everyone would like to know. I have a
> Dell Computer - and was questioning Dell about the startup screen for
> Msconfig. They told me to delete everything except - All Antivirus
> programs
> - this is not what I have told to do from other resources.
> Thanks for any input.

GP

Distinguished
May 22, 2004

Thanks for the fast reply - have not done this yet - as I was given several
websites to check if any items are necessary in startup.
they are -
www.answersthatwork.com/tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm
www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm
castlecops.com/startuplist.html
www.sysinfo..org/startuplist.php

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> GP
>
> Entries in start-up appear because you have installed a program that puts
> them there.. many have a facility to remove the start-up entry in their
> preferences or options.. MSCONFIG should be seen as a diagnostic tool, not a
> fix..
>
> One also has to remember that not all entries consume huge amounts or
> resources.. I have nine running presently.. they are more useful to me than
> the small amount of memory that might be recovered if they were not there..
>

> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>

> "GP" <GP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > This is very interesting - thought everyone would like to know. I have a
> > Dell Computer - and was questioning Dell about the startup screen for
> > Msconfig. They told me to delete everything except - All Antivirus
> > programs
> > - this is not what I have told to do from other resources.
> > Thanks for any input.

GP

You must surely know if they are needed without having to look at a
website.. for example, Kodak Easyshare places an item in the start-up
group.. some like it and some do not.. there is no definitive list of 'items
not to have in start-up'..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

> Thanks for the fast reply - have not done this yet - as I was given
> several
> websites to check if any items are necessary in startup.
> they are -
> www.answersthatwork.com/tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm
> www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm
> castlecops.com/startuplist.html
> www.sysinfo..org/startuplist.php
>
> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> GP
>>
>> Entries in start-up appear because you have installed a program that puts
>> them there.. many have a facility to remove the start-up entry in their
>> preferences or options.. MSCONFIG should be seen as a diagnostic tool,
>> not a
>> fix..
>>
>> One also has to remember that not all entries consume huge amounts or
>> resources.. I have nine running presently.. they are more useful to me
>> than
>> the small amount of memory that might be recovered if they were not
>> there..
>>

>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "GP" <GP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > This is very interesting - thought everyone would like to know. I have
>> > Dell Computer - and was questioning Dell about the startup screen for
>> > Msconfig. They told me to delete everything except - All Antivirus
>> > programs
>> > - this is not what I have told to do from other resources.
>> > Thanks for any input.

vk

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2004

Msconfig??But only the Winxp and Win2003 just has such order.
The Win2000 is to have no this to orderany,
So can open a registration form:
I recommend "Security expert" with everyone.
use "Security expert" wills make you very convenient completion these
works.
Website: http://securityexpert.cnns.net
Download try out it :
http://securityexpert.cnns.net/download/securityexpert.exe

GP

Distinguished
May 22, 2004

Thanks - what dell told me to do was disable entries and allow antivirus etc
- today they gave me a list of several things to do after disabling -

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> GP
>
> Entries in start-up appear because you have installed a program that puts
> them there.. many have a facility to remove the start-up entry in their
> preferences or options.. MSCONFIG should be seen as a diagnostic tool, not a
> fix..
>
> One also has to remember that not all entries consume huge amounts or
> resources.. I have nine running presently.. they are more useful to me than
> the small amount of memory that might be recovered if they were not there..
>

> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>

> "GP" <GP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > This is very interesting - thought everyone would like to know. I have a
> > Dell Computer - and was questioning Dell about the startup screen for
> > Msconfig. They told me to delete everything except - All Antivirus
> > programs
> > - this is not what I have told to do from other resources.
> > Thanks for any input.

VK

Quit with the advert for your own stuff.. the rule in newsgroups is NO
COMMERCIAL ADVERTISING..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

<vk@cnns.net> wrote in message
> Msconfig??But only the Winxp and Win2003 just has such order.
> The Win2000 is to have no this to orderany,
> So can open a registration form:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
> I recommend "Security expert" with everyone.
> use "Security expert" wills make you very convenient completion these
> works.
> Website: http://securityexpert.cnns.net
> Download try out it :
> http://securityexpert.cnns.net/download/securityexpert.exe

Yes, download an exe file from an unknown spammer who uses
news servers to advertise.

some support

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in
message news:%23Cfsth5tFHA.2076@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
| VK
|
| Quit with the advert for your own stuff.. the rule in
newsgroups is NO
| COMMERCIAL ADVERTISING..
|
| --
| Mike Hall
| MVP - Windows Shell/User
|

| <vk@cnns.net> wrote in message

| > Msconfig??But only the Winxp and Win2003 just has such
order.
| > The Win2000 is to have no this to orderany,
| > So can open a registration form:

| > I recommend "Security expert" with everyone.
| > use "Security expert" wills make you very convenient
completion these
| > works.
| > Website: http://securityexpert.cnns.net
| > Download try out it :

http://securityexpert.cnns.net/download/securityexpert.exe

pcbutts new identity?

> Yes, download an exe file from an unknown spammer who uses
> news servers to advertise.

> some support
> http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
>

> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in
> message news:%23Cfsth5tFHA.2076@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> | VK
> |
> | Quit with the advert for your own stuff.. the rule in
> newsgroups is NO
> | COMMERCIAL ADVERTISING..
> |
> | --
> | Mike Hall
> | MVP - Windows Shell/User
> |

> | <vk@cnns.net> wrote in message

> | > Msconfig??But only the Winxp and Win2003 just has such
> order.
> | > The Win2000 is to have no this to orderany,
> | > So can open a registration form:
> | >
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
> | >
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
> | > I recommend "Security expert" with everyone.
> | > use "Security expert" wills make you very convenient
> completion these
> | > works.
> | > Website: http://securityexpert.cnns.net
> | > Download try out it :
> | >
> http://securityexpert.cnns.net/download/securityexpert.exe

Hi GP - I'm not clear on just what problem you're trying to deal with.
However, FWIW, Here, from my Blog, Defending Your Machine, addy in my
Signature below, is the procedure for performing a "Clean Boot" which is my
recommended approach to running programs to deal with malware. It may be
useful to you:

#########IMPORTANT#########

Show hidden files and run all of the following removal tools from Safe mode
or a "Clean Boot" when possible, logged on as an Administrator. BEFORE
running these tools, be sure to clear all Temp files and your Temporary
Internet Files (TIF) (including offline content.) Reboot and test if the
malware is fixed after using each tool.

HOW TO Enable Hidden Files
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2002092715262339

Clean Boot - General Win2k/XP procedure, but see below for links for other
OS's (This for Win2k w/msconfig - you can obtain msconfig for Win2k here:
http://www.3feetunder.com/files/win2K_msconfig_setup.exe ):

1. StartRun enter msconfig.

2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then clear the 'Process
System.ini File', 'Process Win.ini File', and 'Load Startup Items' check
boxes. Leave the 'boot.ini' boxes however they are currently set.

3. In the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" checkbox,
and then click the "Disable All" button. If you use a third party firewall
then re-check (enable) it. For example, if you use Zone Alarm, re-check the
True Vector Internet Monitor service (and you may also want to re-check
(enable) the zlclient on the Startup tab.) Equivalent services exist for
other third party firewalls. An alternative to this for XP users is to
enable at this time the XP native firewall (Internet Connection Firewall -
ICF). Be sure to turn it back off when you re-enable your non-MS services
and Startup tab programs and restore your normal msconfig configuration
after cleaning your machine.

4. Click OK and then reboot.

For additional information about how to clean boot your operating system,
click the following article links to view the articles in the Microsoft
Knowledge Base:

310353 How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353
281770 How to Perform Clean-Boot Troubleshooting for Windows 2000
267288 How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows Millennium Edition
192926 How to Perform Clean-Boot Troubleshooting for Windows 98
243039 How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows 95
#########IMPORTANT#########

--
Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:

> Thanks - what dell told me to do was disable entries and allow
> antivirus etc - today they gave me a list of several things to do
> after disabling -
>
> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> GP
>>
>> Entries in start-up appear because you have installed a program that
>> puts them there.. many have a facility to remove the start-up entry
>> in their preferences or options.. MSCONFIG should be seen as a
>> diagnostic tool, not a fix..
>>
>> One also has to remember that not all entries consume huge amounts or
>> resources.. I have nine running presently.. they are more useful to
>> me than the small amount of memory that might be recovered if they
>> were not there..
>>

>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "GP" <GP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> This is very interesting - thought everyone would like to know. I
>>> have a Dell Computer - and was questioning Dell about the startup
>>> screen for Msconfig. They told me to delete everything except -
>>> All Antivirus programs
>>> - this is not what I have told to do from other resources.
>>> Thanks for any input.

GP

Why did they tell you to do that, and what problems are you having that you
feel the need to cut items from start-up?.. XP manages memory such that
start-up items are not the issue that they were in Win 9x.. if you XP
computer is running slowly, start-up items are not the first place to look
for an answer.. while they undoubtedly do have an effect on resources, it is
often very small depending upon what is starting up..

Perhaps you might like to expand on any problems that you have presently..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"GP" <GP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks - what dell told me to do was disable entries and allow antivirus
> etc
> - today they gave me a list of several things to do after disabling -
>
> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> GP
>>
>> Entries in start-up appear because you have installed a program that puts
>> them there.. many have a facility to remove the start-up entry in their
>> preferences or options.. MSCONFIG should be seen as a diagnostic tool,
>> not a
>> fix..
>>
>> One also has to remember that not all entries consume huge amounts or
>> resources.. I have nine running presently.. they are more useful to me
>> than
>> the small amount of memory that might be recovered if they were not
>> there..
>>

>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "GP" <GP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > This is very interesting - thought everyone would like to know. I have
>> > Dell Computer - and was questioning Dell about the startup screen for
>> > Msconfig. They told me to delete everything except - All Antivirus
>> > programs
>> > - this is not what I have told to do from other resources.
>> > Thanks for any input.

TRENDING THREADS