windows xp upgrade

Mofoho

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2002
Hi, i was going to buy windows XP professional, but i'm not sure whether to get the full version or the upgrade version, i have windows 2000 pro, NT 4 and 98 so i definately can upgrade if i want to, BUT is it possible to install the upgrade version onto a blank harddisk or does it need to upgrade a pre installed version of windows??

also does anyone know when the next version of windows is going to be released? (XP second edition?)

thanks for your help

i have posted here before but i forgot my password and thgc wouldnt send me a reminder!!

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
I'd go for the full version anyway. Not sure about xp, but on previous versions, if you attempted to install an upgrade onto a blank drive, it would ask for the cd of the "old" o/s to confirm that you had it. The prices here for an upgrade or full are about the same, not sure where you are tho lol

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

jimmyswimm

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
Pretty much every retail upgrade product microsoft makes has the full install available, just have to do the qualifying previous version cd check. Used to work for the people that told you that. Only thing I'm not 100% sure about is older versions and world wide fulfillment versions (bulk license versions). Anyway I agree with CALV if it's not to big of a dent in the wallet just go for a full install version either the OEM version or full retail. My preference would be OEM version. It's cheaper and you can buy pretty much ANY piece of hardware, hell pretty much you can buy a bag of case screws and be set. Up to you though hope this helps.

<b><font color=blue>The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. :lol: :wink: