XP Pro OEM install

Hi
I have a valid COA label attached to my PC and have formatted my hard drive.
During the install process when windows asks for the product key it displays
that my product key is invalid.

After investgation I see that there are more than one version of OEM xp pro
disc available I suspect that I may be using the wrong version oem disc.

The label reads

Windows XP Professional 1 - 2 CPU OEM Product
Part No E85-01702

I have tried an install from an OEM XP Pro SP1 Hologramed disc Part No
X08-33951 and a Dell reinstallation CD P/N 6W896 and all report the same
invalid key error.

Any help appreciated.
5 answers Last reply
More about install

    "Doug Walker" <dougwalker@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I have a valid COA label attached to my PC and have formatted my hard
    > drive.
    > During the install process when windows asks for the product key it
    > displays
    > that my product key is invalid.
    >
    > After investgation I see that there are more than one version of OEM xp
    > pro
    > disc available I suspect that I may be using the wrong version oem disc.
    >
    > The label reads
    >
    > Windows XP Professional 1 - 2 CPU OEM Product
    > Part No E85-01702
    >
    > I have tried an install from an OEM XP Pro SP1 Hologramed disc Part No
    > X08-33951 and a Dell reinstallation CD P/N 6W896 and all report the same
    > invalid key error.
    >
    > Any help appreciated.

    Google is your friend:

    http://www.google.com/search?q=Part+No+E85-01702&hl=en&lr=&start=30&sa=N

    It looks like it is a generic OEM product with SP1. The Dell CD won't work.
    The other one you tried is an upgrade CD so it won't work either. You need a
    generic OEM CD. Google the part numbers.

    Kerry

    If the COA is for an OEM XP Home it won't work with XP Pro.
    Neither will a MS PK work with a Dell oem Windows CD. Make
    and model determines what COA was attached originally,
    changes to motherboard may prevent use of oem software such
    as Dell.

    You need to find the media that was associated with that
    COA.

    some support

    "Doug Walker" <dougwalker@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    | Hi
    | I have a valid COA label attached to my PC and have
    formatted my hard drive.
    | During the install process when windows asks for the
    product key it displays
    | that my product key is invalid.
    |
    | After investgation I see that there are more than one
    version of OEM xp pro
    | disc available I suspect that I may be using the wrong
    version oem disc.

    | The label reads
    |
    | Windows XP Professional 1 - 2 CPU OEM Product
    | Part No E85-01702
    |
    | I have tried an install from an OEM XP Pro SP1 Hologramed
    disc Part No
    | X08-33951 and a Dell reinstallation CD P/N 6W896 and all
    report the same
    | invalid key error.
    |
    | Any help appreciated.

  3. well im installing win xp oem & i need product key because some one made this one for me
  4. If you don't have one, you have to purchase it from Microsoft. That's one way they try to stop pirating.
  5. you can try to contact Dell and request the original disk for the COA that you have

OEM Windows XP