AMD cpus are for super geeks, DON'T buy them!!!

Firestorm

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2002
If you go around talking to normal ppl (aka most of the population who don't spend thier time looking at computer) and tell them about AMD CPU, you sure look like geek. Tired a couple of times myself, and most of either say what is AMD CPU or doesn't have clue at all. Also most common ppl out thier still think ghz = speed! So they end up thinking you are some wriedo nerd talking a specialized slower clocked CPU made for geek! Also most ppl actualy heard of intel from all those comp ads "featuring intel CPUs". So unless you want to look like nerd, go with the flow of 80% of the CPU market and get an intel CPU! IF DON'T BELIEVE ME ABOUT WHAT I SAID, GO AROUND AND ASK A BUNCH OF COMMON PPL YOUSELF!!! The result should be the same :)

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Funny how AMD makes the best processors right now...that's all I care about: [-peep-] popular opinion when I can get sh!t done faster (well, I'd take Intel over AMD for what I actually do, but the majority of people would benefit from an AMD CPU--even if they know little about them).

Stupid troll=firestorm

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.

Firestorm

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2002
Lots of ppl care about public opinion! Here is an extreme example: If you are guy, you would go around wearing a skirt and tank top in public because you will laughed at. I am sure at some level you do care what the public thinks, no matter what you say :p

Also trolling is lots of fun :) You should try it sometimes! It the only reason to read these baords these days.

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
You forgot a big difference: wearing a skirt and tank top is publicly obvious...owning a superior AMD CPU is not. If I know the group of people I'm with knows about AMD CPUs, I might talk about them...if they don't, I don't say sh!t.

Oh yeah, another flaw in your logic: there is little advantage to wearing a skirt and tank top other than better ventilation and I'd imagine easier urinating. At least owning an AMD CPU has bigtime noticable advantages...it's not pointless and little-known. The current disadvantages to owning an AMD are few and far between...wearing a skirt has non-public opinion related disadvantages such as: uncomfortable, leg-crossing, and typically too few pockets.

You are right, I do care about what the public thinks...just not about which CPU I use. If Joe-schmo company released a kick-ass CPU at a good price, I'd get it, even if nobody else had heard of them. Besides, it can just make me look smarter to those people when I explain to them why my CPU is better than theirs.

Firestorm

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2002
hmm guess there are flaws in my argument, but don't worry I am working on very good argument about something AMD can't beat intel in anytime soon.

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Clockspeed at less than 1.5V? Scotty will hit 3.5ish GHz at 1.45ish vcore from what I've seen. That's a pointless argument though...seeing as it means little.

just think of it like this...the money you save on using less voltage to the CPU means that you can spend more money on cooling it :p

<font color=blue> Did you know that 89.72% of all quoted statistics are false? </font color=blue>

lisabob2

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think if you go around talking to "normal" people about any computer hardware, you are going to look like a "geek"
Besides if it wasn't for good Amd CPUs, we would be paying outrageous prices for Intel CPUs.
The closer Amd gets to 50% of market share the better for eveybody.
Bob

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You're sooooo lost. MHz DOES equal speed. A P4 2.8C is faster than a P4 2.4C. An Athlon XP 2200MHz is faster than one at 2000MHz.

Oh, sure, now you want to compare apples to PC's, er, pears to peaches, er, whatever. Yes, an XP at 2200MHz is nearly as powerfull as a P4 at 2800MHz, and an XP at 2000MHz is nearly as powerfull as a P4 at 2400MHz. Those are why I picked those speeds.

WTF are you on, the same people who DON'T understand that are perfectly willing to accept an XP3200+ as a 3.2GHz performance level processor.

The REAL reason AMD is for geeks is history, AMD processors have historically been supported by the worst chipsets in the industry, geeks know how to apply patches, move cards around, flash BIOS, etc., newbs don't.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
So ... according to what you are saying, about 15 months ago when I wanted to buy a graphics card, I should go for a Geforce FX 5800 instead of my current Radeon 9500 Pro because none of my friends had heard about ATI?

Honestly, I am sorry for you. Apparently, you don't care how you spend your money but I do. So thanks for the advice but no thanks!

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Intel are the best for what HP dell want to do.For them the performance is not important.There plan is to move the living room to you PC.P4 is good for that.Next stop is voice office, P5 will be for that ''P5 star treek technologie at home'' that really help your experience with your computer not some unknow benchmark that none care.Moving all your electronic toward the PC movie music voice phone webcam printing all of that from the brand new Dell 899 for 999$ including webcam printer microphone speaker and Win 3000 bug with a single software windows media player recorder sender blender and tip how to get a closer shave.

What sell is computer experience what is more impressif a old computer that have 3 screen playing some flight simulator or a benchmark.

Just to show dad

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well I see some turth to it but I also see False. One thing you need to do is ask them if they have a computer.

Alot of older people from 50 and up dont even have a computer for they are still in 1970 Age with Record and Tape decks. And now just started buying DVD Players.

Now take people who has a computer and on website yes they heard Amd computers.

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003
Alot of older people from 50 and up dont even have a computer for they are still in 1970 Age with Record and Tape decks. And now just started buying DVD Players.
Where I live (the Netherlands) there is more folk of 65 and up getting into computers than the age group 50-65. 65 is the current retirement age here. If you look at PC penetration in households it is pretty much leveling out because the 50-65 group have (had) kids around that have made sure that PC's are in the household now.

So...I think your statement was valid about 5 years ago (apart from the DVD statement :smile: that picked up later), at least for the Netherlands. Where do u live, AtolSammeek?

Being a gaming enthusiast myself I am wondering how the gamer population is built up nowadays. I remember growing up with the first generations home computers (my father got a Tandy TRS modelI when I was around 12? the memory is getting rusty). We had a silly pong machine for playing on TV but I've started playing on home computers and later PC's and never left that platform ever since (I admit to owning two apples along the way but I count those as being PC's as well). Consoles just never appealed to me (maybe an age thing).

BigMac

<A HREF="http://www.p3int.com/product_center_NWO_The_Story.asp" target="_new">New World Order</A>

endyen

Splendid
Most older people are carefull where they spend thier money, and are not afraid to say they dont know much about computers. Mostly it is young people who are afraid of not being cool who dont know sup. The C.R. departments are a different story. They mostly know software, and would be happier if people didn't want to change hardware at all. They will stick to intel through thick and thicker.

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
>There plan is to move the living room to you PC.

I'll be damn.. intel is going to move my living room ??

>Next stop is voice office, P5 will be for that

LOL.. people have been prediciting this for ages, but it just aint happening. Two reasons:
1) image a crowded office where everyone is yelling at their computer 'CUT', 'UNDO' while talking on the phone etc,.. forget it. Not gonna happen
2) problem is definately not cpu speed. A VIA C3 would be up to the job, if anything its software. But even the software is there already, and works rather well, but no one cares, no one want it.

>Moving all your electronic toward the PC movie music voice
>phone webcam printing

None of this requires more than a C3. If you want real time HDTV encoding, it would take a faster cpu, but if you believe this is going to drive the industry, you are delusional. A C3 class cpu with a specialazed HDTV encoder chip would be both cheaper and cooler.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
For the things you are proposing: indeed.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
>There plan is to move the living room to you PC.

I'll be damn.. intel is going to move my living room ??

It weird how you can put a human form to a corporation.

LOL.. people have been prediciting this for ages, but it just aint happening. Two reasons:
1) image a crowded office where everyone is yelling at their computer 'CUT', 'UNDO' while talking on the phone etc,.. forget it. Not gonna happen
2) problem is definately not cpu speed. A VIA C3 would be up to the job, if anything its software. But even the software is there already, and works rather well, but no one cares, no one want it.

>Moving all your electronic toward the PC movie music voice
>phone webcam printing

None of this requires more than a C3. If you want real time HDTV encoding, it would take a faster cpu, but if you believe this is going to drive the industry, you are delusional. A C3 class cpu with a specialazed HDTV encoder chip would be both cheaper and cooler.

For your knowlege intel sold more that X86.Typical from a AMD fan the world dont stop after X86.You got some defensif conclusion even if voice "anything" never come out a new trend will be need soon and that were intel will play it card, that mean more that a chip.

IBM have say otherwise on voice.

Just to show dad

trooper11

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2004
Everybody seems gripped on bringing computers into the living and the whole house for that matter. From Intel to Microsoft, they are trying to put a more consumer electronics feel to it. Personally, I dont care if Intel wants to move into this area, they can have it. Amd will never branch out like that, they just dont have the capitol. They do great wiht what they have, and even do branch out in the form of flash memory and some chipset work. I think the thing that intel has to get over is that bigger isnt better when it comes to the small form factor of CE devices. Certainly right now an AMD processor would be better suited due to the power and heat compared to a prescott especially. And like has been said, you dont need much power to drive a good CE device like a tivo or such thing. Something like the VIA C3 or evne the Pentium M would be a better choice with a comperable video chipset. CE marketing is alot different form pcs, intel cant push something about gigahertz, but more about features, which the cpu has little to do with. The cpu will play a lesser role in this segment of the market then in the pc market. Intel is alot like Microsoft in that they are trying to pretty much hav ea hand every where lol.

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
>For your knowlege intel sold more that X86.Typical from a
>AMD fan the world dont stop after X86.

Excuse me ? *you* where the one stating intel would target its "Pentium 5" at this market. And that is still very much a x86 cpu AFAIK. And I tell you it has no place in a living room appliance.

>You got some defensif conclusion even if voice "anything"
>never come out

But it is out ! It has been out for years ! I have voice recognition in my GSM phone, in my car to control the GPS.. I have played with voice recognition software many years ago when I had a state of the art Pentium 133, and XP even has a text-to-speech engine built in. Do you know ANYONE that uses it ? Do you know anyone using the voice recognition on their cell phones ? I use it like once a year.

Its not new, it doesnt require anything we don't have yet (definately not a 5 GHz x86 cpu), and it will never catch on big time.

>a new trend will be need soon

LOL.. yeah, you think you can create trends like that ? Think again...

>and that were intel will play it card, that mean more that
>a chip.

Sure, they can have the entire voice reconition market, but it won't help keeping there fabs busy, it won't impact X-scale and it definately won't give a future Pentium 5 any advantage.

>IBM have say otherwise on voice.

IBM can say whatever they like. They have a few products in this market, and besides specific niches (like dictation software in medical applications) no one buys it; I don't think it generates them more than 0.1% of their revenue. Likely even a lot less. It won't change either.

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
My Brother in-law thinks it is normal to spend 6 hours to simply download 4 pictures off his Digital camera and then put some text on them then email them to his friend in Florida.

His computer is so slow I wont even work on it anymore, things that take me a few minor minutes to do on my computers take a day on his computer.

[-peep-] don't decide you want to reboot his computer it will take half an hour to boot as apposed to the 30 to 60 seconds my computers take.

I have offered to build him a new computer for some time now he wont even listen to me about it the guy makes 200 grand a year as a water Engineer and cant stand computers he sits in front of banks of them like a NASA console every damn day.

He knows exactly what components are but like many people they simply do not like computers and could care less.

If we are Geeks for enjoying computers so be it but I prefer to think of my self as the type of guy that has many talents and interests.

The fact that I have done most things possible in life by age 40 lets me enjoy working in a bit of solitude on my computer it is a great way to express your self in varied ways and wrap up ones day with some good retrospectives and consolidations.

Hail to GeekDome it is a great way to avoid Heart attacks due to stress as long as yo Quite smokeing and dont eat in front of the P.C

My wife dumped an 8 Oz glass of CokeCola into my keyboard once and that was the end of trying to get her to not mess up the desktop.

Barton 3200+ 400MHz
A7N8X Deluxe
Liquid 12 Celsius
2x512 Crucial DDR 400 PC3200
GeForce FX5900
Two Maxtor 40Gig 8MB cach 7200rpm
SONY RW 52x/24x/52x
SONY DVD 16x/40x