Flash 2nd Generation Flipper Upgrade - AWESOME!

Last weekend I upgraded the flippers in my Williams "Flash" from the
wimpy EM-style to modern 2nd generation (pre-Fliptronics) mechanisms.
The results were nothing short of awesome!

It was actually pretty easy.. it only took me about 90 minutes per
flipper to upgrade it.

I started with a complete flipper mechanism from Penn-Ray. Yeah, I
could have bought the individual parts, but at ~$25/mechanism, it wasn't
worth messing with. I then bought the long Firepower-style coils (SFL-
19-400/30-750DC) and Williams "W" flipper bats from Action Pinball.
Since the EOS switches are high voltage and are normally closed, I
bought new tungsten EOS switches and installed them reversed to be
normally closed.

I started by assembling the entire mechanism. The Firepower coils fit
like a glove in the 2nd generation mechs. The new EOS switches fit
perfectly as well. One hiccup was trying to fit the double-stacked EOS
switch on the right flipper. Apparently Flash uses the EOS to trigger
the upper flipper, thus avoiding firing two at once. This was solved by
disassembling the switch stack and putting one set on one side of the
switch bracket and the other set on the outside. It fit perfectly (with
a very small bend of the switch).

To make the new mechs fit underneath the playfield, I ended up making a
couple of minor changes. First, I had to hacksaw off the three bolts
for the old bushings. I suppose I could have removed them, but then I
would have had holes in my playfield where they were.

Second, I had to twist the mechs to an odd orientation to avoid wiring
harnesses and GI. I did have to move where a GI lamp for the outlane
was anchored - but I was able to keep all lamps in place. I also had to
move a harness a couple of inches on both sides.

So, how did it work? Like I said, awesome! Lightning-fast flipper
action (would you expect any other kind on Flash?) and enough power to
'shoot the orbit' on a well-placed shot. Before, only a perfect shot
from the right flipper would get it back up to the top. The left
flipper would barely get it to the upper flipper. It's also not too
strong - I'm not worried about bashing out posts or breaking drop
targets.

Total cost? About $60 and I've got some coils to reuse in another
project.

In summary - if you own a Flash - DO THIS!! It's a brand-new game!

Thanks to Mike at Penn-Ray and Ray at Action Pinball for helping me work
through this before I started.

-Mark.

Nice! Someone put this in the faq :) Always great to hear of successful
swaps like this.

--
Cliffy - CARGPB2
A passion for pinball!

Thanks, Cliffy.. just trying to give something back to the community for
all the help I've received thus far!

-Mark.

In article <nJmdnUy7NLXudGXfRVn-uA@comcast.com>, crinear@comcast.net
says...