Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Crysis is overclocking my HD & freezing?

Last response: in Windows 7
November 24, 2012 8:45:11 AM

Toshiba Satelite i7 3D Q series.

Crysis & Crysis Warhead tend to overclock my hard drive to the point of freezing both screen & HD. It works on HP Presario 700 fair. Tried everything but, it seems that it wants to use the HD to process and not the pagefile, and that, I can't even find in the files. Everything else runs normal. Checked using Performance program. I know Directx10 is a pain but, my diagnosis using DXDiag says that it uses DX11 & I have a large pagefile?

Hid the fxc files for the program so as it could not use them but, again, it still suffers the same fate?

I'm at a dead loss! Looked at forums, and tried a few things.
Anyone out there got any clues?
a b K Overclocking
a b $ Windows 7
November 24, 2012 8:50:31 AM

The page file is on the harddrive. It is not overclocking your harddrive. There is no such thing.

Your gpu or CPU can't handle the game, or you have low memory. Its probably the entire system. Crysis is not easy to run. What are your system specs
m
l
November 24, 2012 9:08:47 AM

Intel Core i7 - 2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz (Uses 8 cores actually)?
6 GB Mem
64Bit,
Nvidia 3D, Stereoscopic
1366 x 768
JMicron Controllers
It's got everything including the kitchen sink!

Anything I've missed?
m
l
Related resources
November 24, 2012 9:21:33 AM

the actual GPU model number - Nvidia 3D, Stereoscopic doesn't help much
m
l
a b K Overclocking
a b $ Windows 7
November 24, 2012 9:28:56 AM

The CPU is probably fine. Although laptops and crysis aren't generally the best idea. Plenty of memory, it shouldn't touch your page file. Although you could turn it off.

That leaves the question of the GPU. Id expect anything paired with that CPU to be high end though. Maybe not with that res though...

You might be overheating as well, and causing the CPU or gpu to slow down to prevent damage. so need to check your temps and clocks while playing
m
l
November 24, 2012 9:31:20 AM

I have a product no.? PSAY3A-02Q001 Notebook?
m
l
November 24, 2012 9:39:38 AM

solar1992 said:
the actual GPU model number - Nvidia 3D, Stereoscopic doesn't help much

I have a product no.? PSAY3A-02Q001 Notebook?

Is that what you need?
m
l
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
a b $ Windows 7
November 24, 2012 9:45:59 AM

this it?
http://www.mytoshiba.com.au/products/computers/satellit...

NVIDIA® GeForce GT 540M (3D Vision) 1GB (3828MB Total: 1024MB dedicated memory + 2804MB shared memory)

that would be a problem w/crysis . . . . it is a very demanding game.
according to this:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-540M.417...

you might want to try increasing the max memory to
Quote:
Max. Amount of Memory 1536 MB

(edit: doing that, if possible, would be through the BIOS)

you have 6 gbs so that may help. and if you look at the benchmarks lower on the page; what settings are you playing? going high or ultra will get you single digits for fps.

as mentioned before, have you checked the temps?
m
l
November 24, 2012 9:47:39 AM

I run the program on low on everything including shutting down non-essentials using the task manager. Even turning everything in the Nvidia either off or to its lowest.

It runs fair on the HP Presiario Laptop and it's only middle of the range with no enhancements. It only stutters.

Sorry for the delays, I'm trying to find all the info as well as getting used to this site!
m
l
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
a b $ Windows 7
November 24, 2012 9:51:59 AM

Lt Priboi said:
I run the program on low on everything including shutting down non-essentials using the task manager. Even turning everything in the Nvidia either off or to its lowest.

It runs fair on the HP Presiario Laptop and it's only middle of the range with no enhancements. It only stutters.

Sorry for the delays, I'm trying to find all the info as well as getting used to this site!

how are you doing that?
that may be affecting the gpu's performance. i would suggest leaving any of that @ default setting for better gpu performance.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
a b $ Windows 7
November 24, 2012 10:33:49 AM

*I don't understand what your problem is.
Are you saying:
- Performance is very poor?
- Your computer is freezing completely or just stuttering?
- Your hard drive is making noises?

If your SCREEN is freezing then it sounds like you have a hardware issue. It could be:

a) bad RAM, or incorrect timings (run MEMTEST for at least 30 minutes; can use the built-in memory diagnostic tool for Windows)

b) BIOS issue (check for updated BIOS)

c) Hard Drive is dying (would have to CLONE your drive to a different HDD or SDD if so)

Summary:
I'll try to help, but you need to be a little bit more clear as to the problem. I'm not sure if English is your primary language but I had great difficulty understanding what you were trying to say.
m
l
November 24, 2012 11:16:05 AM

Ok, I do apologize for my absence. My Internet sucks. I'm 150kms north
of Adelaide in the country. Communications suck.

HP Presario Laptop No.1 got it long time ago still works well.
Toshiba Satelite Laptop No.2. got it last xmas.

Crysis works well on No.1 but play stutters.

Crysis works well on No.2 for 10 mins then you can see the light on the hard drive starting to go berserk until the light stays on and everything frerezes. Have to press off button and reboot, whereas the light goes flickering for quite a while before it settles down and performs normally.

If I catch it at the right time, I wait untll it settles then carry on until the next sign.
Else I quit and reload the game to experience it all over again.

I usually play my favourite S.T.A.L.K.E.R.'s with no problems that I can't handle.

Thank's guys I appreciate your input.

Lt Priboi
m
l

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
a b $ Windows 7
November 24, 2012 4:31:10 PM

You do have all the patches right? I seem to remember it having some large memory leaks.

Also directx 10 mode was horribly buggy. Your HP is probably running it in directx 9 if it's older. Try directx 9 mode on the Toshiba. I even had to use.directx 9 for some sections on a powerful desktop because 10 was just broken.

Right.click shortcut, properties, add -dx9 to the target path. Should look like this. Just with your game folder path.

"C:.....\Crysis\Bin32\Crysis.exe -dx9"
November 25, 2012 9:07:28 AM

It' 20:56 Central Australian Daylight Saving time.
Been up all night til early this morning.
Thank you for your reply, got it through my email alert.
Yes, I will try those suggestions, also went to that site and it had good suggestions also.
I was trying to work out how to get the program to work through DX9, your the only one to come up with the answer. Thanks heaps.
I managed to download a program called Aida64. It worked well. It gave me an amazing amount of information. In checking the errors, I noticed that it read that the game was creating a paging operation, causing an error.
Yes, I did try the patches but, it still did the same.
I read through a whole heap of related info on the forum, (reason for the long stint),
which helped me find the above program. I tried out a few suggestions from the answers posted, and got my machine working as it should, (as the result of the game), and decided to put Crysis to bed for a while. But, I have kept all the info for when I try it again soon. I will be better prepared.
Again, thank you very much and I will not forget your kind assistance.
We've all come up with bazzar problems and your answers are invaluable.
Cheers, Lt Priboi.
PS, That program rated my machine in the top 6 of the best.
m
l
November 25, 2012 9:22:21 AM

Best answer selected by Lt Priboi.
m
l
!