Papa: Machines set to .25-.50???

I thought machines in tournaments or Expos are set to 00.00 Is that
not the case? Was thinking about taking my two sons..but I may as well
take them to the local arcade.

most shows are, but the PAPA one isn't, BUT they also do not charge
admission.

This will also cut down on the # of people that sit there and just keep
restarting after their game is over.... on the flip side, they will
want to play off all the credits they win

Dave,

Agreed the selection is awesome..I just thought the machines were all
set to free play. Look like they are not according Papa..Machines not
used in competition are available for practice play any time the
facility is open during the tournament. These machines are set to
25-cent or 50-cent play. No coin drop is required on tournament
machines during qualifying entries and final rounds. Tournament
machines are not available for practice play at any time

I was just curious..:

Thats true. Do you think the machines are set to hard, medium,
probably not easy> I would say all 3 ball games too.

>From what little I can recall from last year, all 90's games were $.50
each and were set to reasonable lvls. Replay was probably about the
same as if you found it on location...acheivable if you have a good
game.

I didn't notice it on practice games but the tilt setting on games used
in the tournament seemed to be a bit excessive in some cases.

Guys..I don't want you all to think I'm cheap..lol..But those with
children know..it would be an all day thing, reaching in to whatever it
is to hold the quarters and have everone play. I was also looking
forward to possible a father son tournament.. he is 6 and pretty darn
good. I would love to see him in action..Anybody taking smaller
children?

you probably should take him to one of the other shows then (allentown
or York) I realize it may be a haul for you, but those shows are pay
one price all inside are free. Papa is actually the only show I've
heard of that does not have it free. Allentown I believe has a
father-son tournement.

zman

Papa is actually the only show I've
> heard of that does not have it free.

PAPA is not a show .. it's a pinball competition!! Besides that,
probably the largest pinball arcade on earth. It's only open 4 days a
year to the public. That alone makes it worthwhile and to see the best
players in the world in action.

Varyies from venue to venue. At my parties I've charged regular game prices,
had two parties where everything was free, and now charge a fee at the door
and everything games, pizza, popcorn, pop, tournament is free once inside.

These shows cost money to put on, revenue has to come from somewhere,
otherwise you won't have shows to go to. LTG :)

"extech" <rjv2@berkshire.rr.com> wrote in message
> I thought machines in tournaments or Expos are set to 00.00 Is that
> not the case? Was thinking about taking my two sons..but I may as well
> take them to the local arcade.

No way would I think you were cheap. It's up to you to decide where your
entertainment money gets spent and you'd like the most for your money, which
includes your children's having a great time. You can't have something for
everyone, and the responses to your post may help guide you if a pinball
show is right for you or not. Just wanted to be sure people know there is
another side to the shows, think of the ones no longer in existance, gone
because too much work or not enough profit. LTG :)

> Guys..I don't want you all to think I'm cheap..lol..But those with
> children know..it would be an all day thing, reaching in to whatever it
> is to hold the quarters and have everone play. I was also looking
> forward to possible a father son tournament.. he is 6 and pretty darn
> good. I would love to see him in action..Anybody taking smaller
> children?

so how do you get to use it other times of the year? Membership? I
don't live close enough for it to matter, just curious :)

I don't mind paying $0.25 or $0.50 per game. I find myself
consistently playing better when my money is on the line :)

Since there's no admission fee, this is fair. If you look at the
prices for recent free-play shows, $10 (PAGG) to $20+ (CaEx), this is
around 40 games' worth. At 5 minutes per game, that's over 3 hours of
solid play, not counting replays, resting time, and good games that
last longer than 5 minutes. And I'm not even going to mention Expo's
usurious admission fee :)

And, another advantage of coin-play machines: no looky-loos crowding up
the hot machine that you have been standing in line to play, only to
maddeningly hit the start button for another game, just as their first
game was about to end....

Are the PAPA coin-play machines set up to give replays and/or extra
balls? If so, then the deal gets better.

Unfortunately I will miss the show this year, otherwise I'd go, and
pack lots of rolls of quarters! I hope PAPA has lots of changers for
the crowd to use :)

Josh

Where on earth are you going to find such a fine selection of pinball
machines on location or in an arcade?

I really don't know if they are set on free play or what but, it would be
worth the 25 cents per game in my opinion.

Dave

Dave Martin wrote:
> I really don't know if they are set on free play or what but, it would be
> worth the 25 cents per game in my opinion.

Only the tournament games are on free play, but of course
entry fees on the tournament are higher than the equivalent
coin drop.

Practice bank games are 25c or 50c, depending on their era.
The money brought in from this is nearly half the revenue
the show earns. There is no admission fee, and we do like to
meet our expenses (think specifically of the $33,000 prizes).

Kevin

Krellan wrote:
> Are the PAPA coin-play machines set up to give replays and/or extra
> balls? If so, then the deal gets better.

In general, yes.

> Unfortunately I will miss the show this year, otherwise I'd go, and
> pack lots of rolls of quarters! I hope PAPA has lots of changers for
> the crowd to use :)

We sure do :)

Kevin