I'm trying to perform a full backup using NTBACKUP, and placing the backup on
an external hard drive. The backup won't run, and I get an error message
that says "The files for the recovery diskette could not be created. The
operation was aborted." I can't come up with any reason why this is
happening. Any ideas, suggestions?

Sandy Human Rights wrote:
> I'm trying to perform a full backup using NTBACKUP, and placing the backup on
> an external hard drive. The backup won't run, and I get an error message
> that says "The files for the recovery diskette could not be created. The
> operation was aborted." I can't come up with any reason why this is
> happening. Any ideas, suggestions?

What's the format of the external drive? FAT? NTFS?

Do you have write privilege to it?

Jim

"Sandy Human Rights" <Sandy Human Rights@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:DF805DCA-0299-4FBC-B620-3F980686EFBF@microsoft.com...
> I'm trying to perform a full backup using NTBACKUP, and placing the backup
> on
> an external hard drive. The backup won't run, and I get an error message
> that says "The files for the recovery diskette could not be created. The
> operation was aborted." I can't come up with any reason why this is
> happening. Any ideas, suggestions?

You are using the ASR function in backup. It creates the file, and then
expects you to furnish a floppy disk for it to put some recovery info on.
Perhaps you don't have a floppy, in which case you can't use this function.
That you don't have a floppy would explain your message.
Perhaps you have a floppy but did not insert a blank disk in the drive.
Ntbackup still cannot finish the task.

Jim

Sandy Human Rights wrote:
> I considered the absence of a floppy as a possible problem before I asked
> this question, and inserted one, trying again but getting the same result.
> or NTFS format, but I do have writing authority. This is a new Maxtor 80 GB
> external drive, just installed, but there is essentially zero documentation
> with it. More of a plug&play situation than anything else. But I'm getting

I assume you've installed it properly and formatted it?

Open My Computer, right click on the drive, Properties.

Is the file system RAW or NTFS?

> open (and how DO I tell whether the format is FAT or NTFA?). Thanks!

See above.

jonah

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2004

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 12:14:01 -0700, Sandy Human Rights <Sandy Human
Rights@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I'm trying to perform a full backup using NTBACKUP, and placing the backup on
>an external hard drive. The backup won't run, and I get an error message
>that says "The files for the recovery diskette could not be created. The
>operation was aborted." I can't come up with any reason why this is
>happening. Any ideas, suggestions?

Sandy,

NT Backup is not exactly user friendly, there are a million things
have to be correct to run a backup and even then you can end up with a
useless backup that cannot be restored unless you know exactly what
you are doing.

My advice is forget NT Backup and get yourself a copy of Norton Ghost
or Acronis True Image and write a drive image to your external HDD.
Acronis in particular is nigh on bullet proof and very easy to use.
Save yourself the grief.

Jonah

jonah wrote:
> NT Backup is not exactly user friendly, there are a million things
> have to be correct to run a backup and even then you can end up with a
> useless backup that cannot be restored unless you know exactly what
> you are doing.

Useless in what way?

Because of user error during the setup/backup (not checking System State
or the right directories, for example?), or because of a bug in Backup?