promise controller card

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

I have a PIII 800 system with 2- 20G hard drives, dvdrom and cdrw drive, the
Fedora motherboard. I would like to add an internal zip drive.
I installed a promise card and connected the hard drives to it leaving the
primary on the mbd for the zip drive.
I haven't been able to get the system to boot when hd's are connected to the
controller card, get message to incert boot disk.
In the bios there isn't an option to boot to a controller card. Am I out of
luck or is there a way to do this?

Thanks for any help

Don

Yes. Put the hard drives back on the motherboard's primary IDE controller.
Then connect the ZIP to the Promise card.

Or put the bootable 20GB drive on the primary IDE as master along with the ZIP
as the slave. Then put the second hard drive on the Promise. This latter
approach is potentially risk though, if the Promise uses a different logical to
physical mapping for disk addresses... Ben Myers

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 01:04:36 -0500, "Don" <donr503@sio.midco.net> wrote:

>I have a PIII 800 system with 2- 20G hard drives, dvdrom and cdrw drive, the
>Fedora motherboard. I would like to add an internal zip drive.
>I installed a promise card and connected the hard drives to it leaving the
>primary on the mbd for the zip drive.
>I haven't been able to get the system to boot when hd's are connected to the
>controller card, get message to incert boot disk.
>In the bios there isn't an option to boot to a controller card. Am I out of
>luck or is there a way to do this?
>
>Thanks for any help
>
>Don

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

Thanks Ben, working good so far. I thought you could only put hard drives
on the promise card.