Sign in with
Your question

Prescott 2.8Ghz @ 4Ghz on Air, Again

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
February 14, 2004 6:46:49 PM

This might be old news, but... <A HREF="http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=477" target="_new">These news</A> say that Prescotts can be clocked at 4Ghz on air. Apparently, ES samples review sites received may clock worse than actual retail Prescotts. These guys is not at all the first ones to say that prescott can be OCed to 4Ghz on air. From 2.8Ghz, this is a 43% overclock - not bad, eh?

Hopefully, with the improvements the D0 stepping brings along, Prescott might turn out to be a good choice for an OCer... It would be much better, though, if the damned thing had some sort of 64-bit support like x86-64... Come on, Intel, hurry up! :eek:  Debug the damned thing quicker...

<i><font color=red>You never change the existing reality by fighting it. Instead, create a new model that makes the old one obsolete</font color=red> - Buckminster Fuller </i>

More about : prescott 8ghz 4ghz air

February 14, 2004 7:04:30 PM

I think its way too chaotic right now to know what will be really available to retail buyers of prescott to know how it will overclock. You hear reports it can be done and others that it cannot, its still too early to get a good grasp on the situation.
February 14, 2004 9:52:07 PM

The current record holder there for bartons is 3600+.
Related resources
February 15, 2004 3:03:44 AM

64 will not help yet. Not enough software.
February 15, 2004 3:06:03 AM

The DO stepping will help. The other day I posted on 3.6 OC on 2.8E with air. Wont be to long before 4.0 ghz cpu.
February 15, 2004 6:43:18 AM

lol

rooting for INTEL to the bitter end

better start hammer shopping son
February 15, 2004 7:56:36 AM

Which part of Antartica?

A fine day!
February 15, 2004 2:45:20 PM

It's the Japanese super conductor experiments. They use a chamber with <.5 degrees kelvin. That's cool.
February 15, 2004 2:50:56 PM

I really want to see someone benchmarking it under full load, cause I'm curious if and when clockthrotteling kicks in. Xbit labs showed a northwood started throtteling at 70°C. Prescott at stock speed reaches those temps, so overclocked ones would definately. I suspect throtteling kicks in later on Prescott, but when? its not much use having a 4 GHz overclock if throtteling gives you 3.2 GHz performance...

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =
February 15, 2004 3:09:04 PM

Quote:
its not much use having a 4 GHz overclock if throtteling gives you 3.2 GHz performance...

I'm afraid that is not possible. Throttling reduces clock speed; so, if they got to 4Ghz on air, it means the processor wasn't throttling to 3.2Ghz, because it wouldn't be 4Ghz then. Right? :wink:

<i><font color=red>You never change the existing reality by fighting it. Instead, create a new model that makes the old one obsolete</font color=red> - Buckminster Fuller </i>
February 15, 2004 3:42:02 PM

Wrong. It will still run at 4 GHz according to the BIOS and tools like CPU-ID, and there is no way that I am aware of to determine wether a cpu is throtteling or not, besides benchmarking it.Here is a quote <A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/p4-temp.ht..." target="_new"> from xbit labs:</A>
Quote:

For example, we overclock a Pentium 4 2.2GHz to 2.8GHz, but don't improve the cooling. In this case the CPU temperature quickly gets above the critical value and Thermal Monitor unleashes Thermal Control Circuit: the CPU starts missing out clock cycles. As a result, the user will see during boot-up and in WCPUid-like programs that the CPU is at 2.8GHz, although the effective performance of the processor may be even lower than that of Pentium 4 2.2GHz.

Read the entire article, and you'll understand.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =
February 15, 2004 4:17:51 PM

OK, you were right, I was wrong. Sorry 'bout that... :frown:

(so there would be no way - really - to know if current prescotts are throttling at stock or not?...)

February 15, 2004 4:46:43 PM

We'll have to wait and see. All I care about is my 2.4c's 30% OC to 3.12ghz.

----------------------
PIV 2.4c @ 3.12ghz
1gig PC3200 (512mbx2)
ASUS P4P800
GF3 Ti200 64mb (soon to be replaced)
WinXP Pro
3DMark2001SE: 6453
3DMark2003: 746
February 15, 2004 5:35:12 PM

that a cheap article

Just to show dad
February 15, 2004 6:08:26 PM

And an even cheaper post by you.

February 15, 2004 6:11:21 PM

>so there would be no way - really - to know if current
>prescotts are throttling at stock or not?...

No that I'm aware off, besides benchmarking a watercooled setup against a stock cooler setup. Now, I don't think prescott throttles with a stock cooler under normal circumstances really, that would be absurd, but its quite possible once you start overclocking/overvolting or in less than optimal thermal/airflow circumstances. Soon enough someone will do an article and tell us at what temperature its starts throtteling though, then we'll know...

February 15, 2004 11:49:55 PM

Quote:
that a cheap article

Explanation?

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
!