MS Office 97 Word/Excel Hard To Come Up

When I try to load a Word doc, it takes a fairly long before I see anything
appear. When it does, it's a fragmented not fully loaded window. When it
finally gets omething useful displayed, it's very sluggish. Not too many
days ago, all was working fine. Last night I did a security update. I have
no idea if that impacted it. I have to kill the window to get going. It's
the same problem whether I click on a file or start Word and then try to
open a doc. In the latter case, I really don't get to the point where I can
open a file. Everything else seems OK. Well, I just tried Excel, and it's
slow coming up. In fact, it's doing the same thing. Something is hosed.

"It is indeed a feeble light that reaches us from the starry
sky. But what would human thought have achieved if we could
not see the stars?" -- Jean Perrin

Web Page: <home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews>
6 answers Last reply
More about office word excel hard

    Boot into safe mode, then see if the problem still occurs. If so its maybe a
    driver, check first your vid display manu web site for an update.
    Or maybe a repair of your Office installation.

    DL wrote:

    > Boot into safe mode, then see if the problem still occurs. If so its maybe a
    > driver, check first your vid display manu web site for an update.
    > Or maybe a repair of your Office installation.
    >
    > "W. Watson" <wolf_tracks@invalid.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>When I try to load a Word doc, it takes a fairly long before I see
    >
    > anything
    >
    >>appear. When it does, it's a fragmented not fully loaded window. When it
    >>finally gets omething useful displayed, it's very sluggish. Not too many
    >>days ago, all was working fine. Last night I did a security update. I have
    >>no idea if that impacted it. I have to kill the window to get going. It's
    >>the same problem whether I click on a file or start Word and then try to
    >>open a doc. In the latter case, I really don't get to the point where I
    >
    > can
    >
    >>open a file. Everything else seems OK. Well, I just tried Excel, and it's
    >>slow coming up. In fact, it's doing the same thing. Something is hosed.
    >>
    >>--
    >> Wayne T. Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA)
    >> (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time)
    >> Obz Site: 39° 15' 7" N, 121° 2' 32" W, 2700 feet
    >>
    >> "It is indeed a feeble light that reaches us from the starry
    >> sky. But what would human thought have achieved if we could
    >> not see the stars?" -- Jean Perrin
    >>
    >> Web Page: <home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews>

    What's vid and a manu web site?

    "It is indeed a feeble light that reaches us from the starry
    sky. But what would human thought have achieved if we could
    not see the stars?" -- Jean Perrin

    Web Page: <home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews>

    On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 20:07:18 GMT, "W. Watson"
    <wolf_tracks@invalid.com> wrote:

    >When I try to load a Word doc, it takes a fairly long before I see anything
    >appear. When it does, it's a fragmented not fully loaded window. When it
    >finally gets omething useful displayed, it's very sluggish. Not too many
    >days ago, all was working fine. Last night I did a security update. I have
    >no idea if that impacted it. I have to kill the window to get going. It's
    >the same problem whether I click on a file or start Word and then try to
    >open a doc. In the latter case, I really don't get to the point where I can
    >open a file. Everything else seems OK. Well, I just tried Excel, and it's
    >slow coming up. In fact, it's doing the same thing. Something is hosed.

    This is the interesting bit IMO

    "Last night I did a security update. I have no idea if that impacted
    it."

    Betcha it did.

    Exactly what was this security update - Windows or something else?
    What AV are you running? See if you can undo the security update via
    system restore / backups that you have (obviously) or if its a windows
    security update you should be able to remove it via add/remove
    programs.

    I had the same with Office 2003 when I installed it, it was my AV
    Scanner causing the huge slowdown.

    Jonah

    jonah wrote:

    > On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 20:07:18 GMT, "W. Watson"
    > <wolf_tracks@invalid.com> wrote:
    >

    >>When I try to load a Word doc, it takes a fairly long before I see anything
    >>appear. When it does, it's a fragmented not fully loaded window. When it
    >>finally gets omething useful displayed, it's very sluggish. Not too many
    >>days ago, all was working fine. Last night I did a security update. I have
    >>no idea if that impacted it. I have to kill the window to get going. It's
    >>the same problem whether I click on a file or start Word and then try to
    >>open a doc. In the latter case, I really don't get to the point where I can
    >>open a file. Everything else seems OK. Well, I just tried Excel, and it's
    >>slow coming up. In fact, it's doing the same thing. Something is hosed.
    >

    > This is the interesting bit IMO
    >
    > "Last night I did a security update. I have no idea if that impacted
    > it."
    >
    > Betcha it did.
    >
    > Exactly what was this security update - Windows or something else?
    > What AV are you running? See if you can undo the security update via
    > system restore / backups that you have (obviously) or if its a windows
    > security update you should be able to remove it via add/remove
    > programs.
    >
    > I had the same with Office 2003 when I installed it, it was my AV
    > Scanner causing the huge slowdown.
    >
    > Jonah
    How do I tell what I updated? I didn't see a history display, but I'm pretty
    sure I saw one earlier before I updated. The update consisted of about 8-10
    files totaling 4.6M. AV? A few months ago, an auto update start while I was
    in Moz 1.7 and it knocked out Moz, so I've been running with security
    updates off until last night. I set it in motion, and then turned if off again.

    "It is indeed a feeble light that reaches us from the starry
    sky. But what would human thought have achieved if we could
    not see the stars?" -- Jean Perrin

    Web Page: <home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews>

    Video card / Graphics card
    manufacturer

    > DL wrote:
    >
    > > Boot into safe mode, then see if the problem still occurs. If so its
    maybe a
    > > driver, check first your vid display manu web site for an update.
    > > Or maybe a repair of your Office installation.
    > >
    > > "W. Watson" <wolf_tracks@invalid.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>When I try to load a Word doc, it takes a fairly long before I see
    > >
    > > anything
    > >
    > >>appear. When it does, it's a fragmented not fully loaded window. When it
    > >>finally gets omething useful displayed, it's very sluggish. Not too many
    > >>days ago, all was working fine. Last night I did a security update. I
    have
    > >>no idea if that impacted it. I have to kill the window to get going.
    It's
    > >>the same problem whether I click on a file or start Word and then try to
    > >>open a doc. In the latter case, I really don't get to the point where I
    > >
    > > can
    > >
    > >>open a file. Everything else seems OK. Well, I just tried Excel, and
    it's
    > >>slow coming up. In fact, it's doing the same thing. Something is hosed.
    > >>
    > >>--
    > >> Wayne T. Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA)
    > >> (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time)
    > >> Obz Site: 39° 15' 7" N, 121° 2' 32" W, 2700 feet
    > >>
    > >> "It is indeed a feeble light that reaches us from the starry
    > >> sky. But what would human thought have achieved if we could
    > >> not see the stars?" -- Jean Perrin
    > >>
    > >> Web Page: <home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews>
    > >

    > What's vid and a manu web site?
    >
    > --
    > Wayne T. Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA)
    > (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time)
    > Obz Site: 39° 15' 7" N, 121° 2' 32" W, 2700 feet
    >
    > "It is indeed a feeble light that reaches us from the starry
    > sky. But what would human thought have achieved if we could
    > not see the stars?" -- Jean Perrin
    >
    > Web Page: <home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews>

    On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 22:54:39 GMT, "W. Watson"
    <wolf_tracks@invalid.com> wrote:

    >jonah wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 20:07:18 GMT, "W. Watson"
    >> <wolf_tracks@invalid.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>>When I try to load a Word doc, it takes a fairly long before I see anything
    >>>appear. When it does, it's a fragmented not fully loaded window. When it
    >>>finally gets omething useful displayed, it's very sluggish. Not too many
    >>>days ago, all was working fine. Last night I did a security update. I have
    >>>no idea if that impacted it. I have to kill the window to get going. It's
    >>>the same problem whether I click on a file or start Word and then try to
    >>>open a doc. In the latter case, I really don't get to the point where I can
    >>>open a file. Everything else seems OK. Well, I just tried Excel, and it's
    >>>slow coming up. In fact, it's doing the same thing. Something is hosed.
    >>

    >> This is the interesting bit IMO
    >>
    >> "Last night I did a security update. I have no idea if that impacted
    >> it."
    >>
    >> Betcha it did.
    >>
    >> Exactly what was this security update - Windows or something else?
    >> What AV are you running? See if you can undo the security update via
    >> system restore / backups that you have (obviously) or if its a windows
    >> security update you should be able to remove it via add/remove
    >> programs.
    >>
    >> I had the same with Office 2003 when I installed it, it was my AV
    >> Scanner causing the huge slowdown.
    >>
    >> Jonah
    >How do I tell what I updated? I didn't see a history display, but I'm pretty
    >sure I saw one earlier before I updated. The update consisted of about 8-10
    >files totaling 4.6M. AV? A few months ago, an auto update start while I was
    >in Moz 1.7 and it knocked out Moz, so I've been running with security
    >updates off until last night. I set it in motion, and then turned if off again.

    Hmmmmm

    If you dont know what was installed you can get some clues from the
    event log.

    http://www.windowsnetworking.com/j_helmig/wxpevent.htm

    Any windows updates will be listed in the Add / Remove programs
    folder.

    Also you need to do a Antivirus check with your AV and a online
    version - try this - slow but OK

    http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan.htm

    If the AV sweeps are clear try disabling your AV and see if Office
    apps run faster (go offline first) if this works uninstall and
    re-install your AV. (If its Norton leave it alone and post back the
    exact name and version of any Norton Software installed).

    If the above makes no difference uninstall / reinstall your office
    suite and update it all.

    Jonah

Windows XP