Task Scheduler eerror - 0x80090016: Keyset does not exist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

Recently the tasks in my Task Scheduler have stopped running - "Could not
start". When I try to check the properties of the task, I get a "General
page initialization failed. The specific error is 0x80090016: Keyset does
not exist...An error has occurred attempting to retrieve task information.
You may continue editing the task object, but will be unable to change task
account information." As the error message says, I can edit the task, but
the task still won't initiate as scheduled.

I've not had much luck googling this error, especially for Windows XP
(Home).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Pete

This article may help.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;246183

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Pete" wrote:
| Recently the tasks in my Task Scheduler have stopped running - "Could not
| start". When I try to check the properties of the task, I get a "General
| page initialization failed. The specific error is 0x80090016: Keyset does
| not exist...An error has occurred attempting to retrieve task information.
| You may continue editing the task object, but will be unable to change
task
| account information." As the error message says, I can edit the task, but
| the task still won't initiate as scheduled.
|
| I've not had much luck googling this error, especially for Windows XP
| (Home).
|
| Any ideas?
|
| Thanks,
| Pete

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

That worked. Thanks.

"Dave Patrick" <DSPatrick@nOsPAM.gmail.com> wrote in message
> This article may help.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;246183
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Pete" wrote:
> | Recently the tasks in my Task Scheduler have stopped running - "Could
not
> | start". When I try to check the properties of the task, I get a "General
> | page initialization failed. The specific error is 0x80090016: Keyset
does
> | not exist...An error has occurred attempting to retrieve task
information.
> | You may continue editing the task object, but will be unable to change
> task
> | account information." As the error message says, I can edit the task,
but
> | the task still won't initiate as scheduled.
> |
> | I've not had much luck googling this error, especially for Windows XP
> | (Home).
> |
> | Any ideas?
> |
> | Thanks,
> | Pete

Glad to hear it. You're welcome.

--

"Pete" wrote:
| That worked. Thanks.

My solution was to delete the files in this directory:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\S-1-5-18

You'll need to change folder options to "show hidden files and folders."

My solution was to delete the files in this directory:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\S-1-5-18

You'll need to change folder options to "show hidden files and folders."

You are responding to a thread that is nearly 5 years old.