What to do?

Hello,
I had a bunch of problems with my dell laptop. Like an idiot, I let someone "fix" it. I LOVE the way it is now, no crap just Windows 7. But, apparently the copy he installed isn't genuine. I keep getting ..blah Validate..blah Counterfeit..blah Victim ...blah Activation period expired. Went to microsoft, too scared to do anything....Have original product key. Can this be used?
7 answers Last reply
More about what
  1. Of course!

    Just pop your windows install disk (if you have it) into your drive. If you don't have it, you have a couple options: get a (completely legal) download of windows 7, and put it on either a CD or a flash drive. A simple google search will give you better instructions on that than I could.

    Your other option is to call dell and have them send you disks - it'll be about $10.

    Either way, you'll get a fresh install, which is way better than Dell's bloatware. (Between that, shoddy service, and bad parts, it's always recommended to stay away from Dell and their "gaming" subset, Alienware.)
  2. DarkSable said:
    Of course!

    Just pop your windows install disk (if you have it) into your drive. If you don't have it, you have a couple options: get a (completely legal) download of windows 7, and put it on either a CD or a flash drive. A simple google search will give you better instructions on that than I could.

    Your other option is to call dell and have them send you disks - it'll be about $10.

    Either way, you'll get a fresh install, which is way better than Dell's bloatware. (Between that, shoddy service, and bad parts, it's always recommended to stay away from Dell and their "gaming" subset, Alienware.)


    Mr. Dark and Informative.

    No disc, legal download probably WAAAYY to much money and Dull will probably send the same crappy, loaded with junk. pain in the validation, system I had before. I really like what I got. What's the downfall of never updating windows? (Apparently it downloads but doesn't install updates), and just leaving it alone and removing the offensive pop-up boxes? Its a working perfect! Since July 12!...You are the nicest answerer ever! I give you promotion to Grand Poobah of not snobby forum helpers.
  3. The original product key should be written somewhere on a sticker on your laptop. Just right click on the computer symbol on your desktop, goto properties. Next to the not genuine key you can click on "change", enter the original key and activate it.
  4. Mr. Dark and not snobby,

    I have question in Wireless Stuff, about re-setting wireless adapter...That's it! I promise! Could ya throw me a bone on that? LOL, I'm just loving this handy site!
  5. noidea_77 said:
    The original product key should be written somewhere on a sticker on your laptop. Just right click on the computer symbol on your desktop, goto properties. Next to the not genuine key you can click on "change", enter the original key and activate it.



    I am absolutely amazed at the help here! Honestly, I rarely post lame questions because I usually get a vicious, "somebody asked that already in 1834 and we posted the answer!" "Now go find it using our idiotic method of location that makes no sense whatsoever and don't ever come back or we will answer all your questions in pig latin and brand you a moron." I completely forgot I've got a problem!

    I don't have a computer symbol on my desktop. Just a bunch of online casino icons! Can you give me another location to search? I got key, (by the way. The product key, is UNDER my battery), no way to KNOW that, of course. Unless you need a new one, like me. What happens if I do nothing? I've been doing that since July...Thank you!
  6. I would be surprised if that key works for your install. You have an OEM license, it wont activate a standard Windows install. You can try it, won't hurt anything. Now, you can get clean OEM disks from certain places on the internet, but we aren't allowed to talk about that. Not that it would necessarily be illegal for you, but they frown on piracy talk here.
  7. msmaryanne said:
    I am absolutely amazed at the help here! Honestly, I rarely post lame questions because I usually get a vicious, "somebody asked that already in 1834 and we posted the answer!" "Now go find it using our idiotic method of location that makes no sense whatsoever and don't ever come back or we will answer all your questions in pig latin and brand you a moron." I completely forgot I've got a problem!

    I don't have a computer symbol on my desktop. Just a bunch of online casino icons! Can you give me another location to search? I got key, (by the way. The product key, is UNDER my battery), no way to KNOW that, of course. Unless you need a new one, like me. What happens if I do nothing? I've been doing that since July...Thank you!


    start / control panel / system is the way to go. And get a virus scanner and and a firewall against the online casinos!
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Windows 7