bog down your system-but if i can clear this up, i dont think i'm there yet

From: "okeefe58" <okeefe58@discussions.microsoft.com>

| my xp sp1 athlon suddenly was stuck on startup with something causeing the
| busy pointer to never stop-i couldnt get into anything except by repeated
| ctrl/alt/delete to turn things off one by one-discovered it was svchost=ssdp
| discovery service?-disabled it from services and everything was fine again,
| but what was it doing there in the first place? i like to keep things at a
| minimum on my pc and try to turn off everything i can-went into add/remove
| windows components and saw a bunch of new things that were never there
| before-distributed transaction coordinator,wmi and com+ wont let me remove
| them? i'm just a home user not on any network, so i dont need/want any of the
| network tools/stuff.- i dont remember downloading or turning on anything new,
| but that doesnt mean i havent, if you know what i mean-awhile back, i did
| some tweak from kellys corner to add something to windows components, but i
| dont remember what it was now-if anyone knows what i did or whats going on,
| could you tell me how to turn it off again, or whatever suggestions there
| might be-i almost was getting ready to do an xp reload, as i hate when after
| awhile, you get all those extra undeleted temps, registry stuff, etc. that
| bog down your system-but if i can clear this up, i dont think i'm there yet

SSDP is the communication component for Universal Plug 'n Play (UPnP).
It is a TCP (port 5000) protocol to communicate with UPnP compliant devices such as SOHO
Routers.

It is connect with SVCHOST beacuse it is the Server Service. The Daemon of Daemons.

Go to the Windows XP help center to get information on disabling/removing and/or re-enabling
Universal Plug 'n Play (UPnP).

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 13:42:07 -0700, "okeefe58"
<okeefe58@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>my xp sp1 athlon suddenly was stuck on startup with something causeing the
>busy pointer to never stop-i couldnt get into anything except by repeated
>ctrl/alt/delete to turn things off one by one-discovered it was svchost=ssdp
>discovery service?-disabled it from services and everything was fine again,
>but what was it doing there in the first place? i like to keep things at a
>minimum on my pc and try to turn off everything i can-went into add/remove
>windows components and saw a bunch of new things that were never there
>before-distributed transaction coordinator,wmi and com+ wont let me remove
>them? i'm just a home user not on any network, so i dont need/want any of the
>network tools/stuff.- i dont remember downloading or turning on anything new,
>but that doesnt mean i havent, if you know what i mean-awhile back, i did
>some tweak from kellys corner to add something to windows components, but i
>dont remember what it was now-if anyone knows what i did or whats going on,
>could you tell me how to turn it off again, or whatever suggestions there
>might be-i almost was getting ready to do an xp reload, as i hate when after
>awhile, you get all those extra undeleted temps, registry stuff, etc. that
>bog down your system-but if i can clear this up, i dont think i'm there yet

I think elves must turn them on :) For ingo on services:
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/service411.htm
http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/win2k_services/services-2.shtml
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/strangeservice.htm
http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

HTH-Larry

Any advise given is my attempt to show appreciation for all
the excellent help I've received here but I'm no MVP so it
may only apply NUGS (Normally, Usually, Generally, Sometimes :)