Computer SPDIF out to receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

kah5683

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
Hello all, just found your forum - looks like some great info here.

I just built a new computer (finally). I have an ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/gen3 motherboard and I am running PCLinuxOS. In my last build, and this to start out, I was just running a line from the audio out in the back of the computer, and used an adapter to run it into the RCA jacks in the back of my receiver. Worked fine. With this new build I wanted to see if the SPDIF out from the back of the new computer and the motherboard would work and how the quality was - if it was better. I inherited an older surround sound receiver, a Pioneer VSX-517, and plugged in the SPDIF cable into both. No sound. In the MB manual, there was a section about choosing the HDMI or SPDIF out, and I chose SPDIF.

In PCLinuxOS, under kmix and then the mixer, there is only showing HDA Intel PCH. When I go in and select the HDA NVidia (which I believe is the MB onboard soundcard - I don't currently have a separate soundcard), there is nothing showing. Then in the mixer, I choose under settings audio setup, and Phonon-KDE Control Module opens up. This module show Audio Output in music, notifications, video, communications, games, accessibility. Under these categories are listed both the HDA Intel PCH and HDA NVidia, with the PCH being the default. I bumped the NVidia up to the default and tested with no sound, so I just put it back to PCH. I have also tried selecting pulseaudio, with no luck.

In the sound configuration section for the OS, it says: Here you can select an alternative driver (either OSS or ALSA) for your sound card (NVidia Corporation/Device Obee). Your card currently use the ALSA "snd_hda_intel" driver (default driver for your card is "snd_hda_intel")

I have sound through the audio out and the 3.5mm cord to RCA jacks. Will I get a better quality with the SPDIF out? Currently, I have 2 old speakers in front and 2 small old speakers in back - both of questionable quality. When I can I will buy better, but I just wanted to test this out this way.

Also, on my MB audio outs in the rear with this new build, there are other audio outs for surround sound, but I thought the SPDIF would be the best bet?

in your old build you said from audio out to rca. are you implying that you went from one 3.5mm to rca jacks? this would only give you stereo sound not surround sound.

i havent checked up on this but i think if you go spdif out the receiver will do the processing instead of your onboard soundcard. at least this is what my system does (i connect via hdmi though).

in windows audio devices there is an option to choose spdif out as your default. i know this is how you enable it in windows. in linux i have no clue.

spdif or hdmi are generally regarded as the best ways to connect for audio.

kah5683

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
Yes, ssddx, one 3.5mm to rca jacks, and it was stereo, you are correct. That's why I wanted to try the spdif to hear the difference.

Do I need to be running pulseaudio for this, or is alsa ok?

for movies and some games surround sound is definitely way better than stereo. however all of the computer sounds, internet videos and some other sound sources are still stereo.

i know almost nothing about linux. my advice is strictly for windows.

perhaps you can figure out how to do what i said on a linux platform.

You need to make sure that the input you select on the receiver is associated with the digital input that you are connecting the PC. This is usually done in the input menu of the receiver. Most receivers show this on the front panel display when you change inputs.
The SPDIF output will sound better than the analog out in almost all cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.