Going Wireless on an Older Laptop

I have a Winbook laptop, Win XLi, Win 95, and Pentium II. Is it possible to
wireless with it by adding some external device through a USB port or otherwise?

"It is indeed a feeble light that reaches us from the starry
sky. But what would human thought have achieved if we could
not see the stars?" -- Jean Perrin

Web Page: <home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews>

W. Watson wrote:
> I have a Winbook laptop, Win XLi, Win 95, and Pentium II. Is it
> possible to wireless with it by adding some external device through a
> USB port or otherwise?

Maybe - but not with any security on the wireless network.
It's doubtful the OS would support it or the drivers for the wireless device
for that old of an OS would either.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:F21Ve.1084$LS5.911@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net,
W. Watson <wolf_tracks@invalid.com> had this to say:

> I have a Winbook laptop, Win XLi, Win 95, and Pentium II. Is it
> possible to wireless with it by adding some external device through a
> USB port or otherwise?

Here is ONE such example:

http://www.netgear.com/products/details/MA111.php

Searching might find you alternatives and better products. That's the first
one that came up in my search though.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

W. Watson wrote:
> I have a Winbook laptop, Win XLi, Win 95, and Pentium II. Is it possible
> to wireless with it by adding some external device through a USB port or
> otherwise?

Good luck!

Galen wrote:
>>I have a Winbook laptop, Win XLi, Win 95, and Pentium II. Is it
>>possible to wireless with it by adding some external device through a
>>USB port or otherwise?

> Here is ONE such example:
> http://www.netgear.com/products/details/MA111.php

System Requirements:
o Windows 98SE, Me, 2000 or XP

Errr ... the orig. poster is running Windows 95.

FWIW, I've never seen ANY wireless NICs or USB adapters that run on
Windows 95. And running one with Windows 98/ME is asking for a
maintenance nightmare. Been there, done that.

For me, in the long run it was cheaper (and a WHOLE LOT less work, IMO)
to buy an OEM Windows XP Pro CD and rebuild the system with that.

Jimmy

Z wrote:
> Galen wrote:
>>> I have a Winbook laptop, Win XLi, Win 95, and Pentium II. Is it
>>> possible to wireless with it by adding some external device through
>>> a USB port or otherwise?
>
>> Here is ONE such example:
>> http://www.netgear.com/products/details/MA111.php
>
> System Requirements:
> o Windows 98SE, Me, 2000 or XP
>
> Errr ... the orig. poster is running Windows 95.
>
> FWIW, I've never seen ANY wireless NICs or USB adapters that run on
> Windows 95. And running one with Windows 98/ME is asking for a
> maintenance nightmare. Been there, done that.
>
> For me, in the long run it was cheaper (and a WHOLE LOT less work,
> IMO) to buy an OEM Windows XP Pro CD and rebuild the system with that.

I believe that only Win95 rev C is compatible with USB at all. Does your
laptop have USB plugs to begin with? You might try a card adapter. I ran
win95 on a 486 on a wired LAN so it is very likely that you will connect
fine.

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:yk1Ve.29565$ih4.7121@fe02.lga,
Z <Z@no.spam> had this to say:

> Galen wrote:
>>> I have a Winbook laptop, Win XLi, Win 95, and Pentium II. Is it
>>> possible to wireless with it by adding some external device through
>>> a USB port or otherwise?
>
>> Here is ONE such example:
>> http://www.netgear.com/products/details/MA111.php
>
> System Requirements:
> o Windows 98SE, Me, 2000 or XP
>
> Errr ... the orig. poster is running Windows 95.
>
> FWIW, I've never seen ANY wireless NICs or USB adapters that run on
> Windows 95. And running one with Windows 98/ME is asking for a
> maintenance nightmare. Been there, done that.
>
> For me, in the long run it was cheaper (and a WHOLE LOT less work,
> IMO) to buy an OEM Windows XP Pro CD and rebuild the system with that.

LOL Nice, wow... I suppose it was the whole "windowsxp.general" thing that
made me miss the 95... In fact I was wondering why anyone would be asking
that with all the various USB WiFi offerings.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

Z wrote:

> W. Watson wrote:
>
>> I have a Winbook laptop, Win XLi, Win 95, and Pentium II. Is it
>> possible to wireless with it by adding some external device through a
>> USB port or otherwise?
>

> Good luck!

My machine does have actual USB ports, but I doubt they are USB 2.0.
Possibly tne CD Win XP Pro update might help. Although, I use XP Pro on my
desktop, I'd settle for just plain XP (home). Not sure what Win 95 it has. C ?

I may tempt it anyway. I was at Staples and they had Linksys wireless G
adapters for USB, 65Mb--$40 or $50.

W. Watson wrote:
> Z wrote:
>
>> W. Watson wrote:
>>
>>> I have a Winbook laptop, Win XLi, Win 95, and Pentium II. Is it
>>> possible to wireless with it by adding some external device through
>>> a USB port or otherwise?
>>

>> Good luck!
>

> My machine does have actual USB ports, but I doubt they are USB 2.0.
> Possibly tne CD Win XP Pro update might help. Although, I use XP Pro
> on my desktop, I'd settle for just plain XP (home). Not sure what Win
> 95 it has. C ?
> I may tempt it anyway. I was at Staples and they had Linksys wireless
> G adapters for USB, 65Mb--$40 or $50.

Do you have anything around that is USB and could see if it is seen in win
95 OS?

Jimmy wrote:

> W. Watson wrote:
>
>>Z wrote:

>>>Good luck!
>>

>>My machine does have actual USB ports, but I doubt they are USB 2.0.
>>Possibly tne CD Win XP Pro update might help. Although, I use XP Pro
>>on my desktop, I'd settle for just plain XP (home). Not sure what Win
>>95 it has. C ?
>>I may tempt it anyway. I was at Staples and they had Linksys wireless
>>G adapters for USB, 65Mb--$40 or $50.
>

> Do you have anything around that is USB and could see if it is seen in win
> 95 OS?

Yes, I guess you are hinting that I try it. Sounds like a good idea.

"It is indeed a feeble light that reaches us from the starry
sky. But what would human thought have achieved if we could
not see the stars?" -- Jean Perrin

Web Page: <home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews>

TRENDING THREADS