How to repear playfield wear ?

I read on several places already that people hide playfield wear by putting
a printed decal on top of it ?
How do you create your own decal ? How do you make sure it fits ?
Anyone has an article on this ?

Thanks

karl

Some people like to restore the playfield back to original by touching
up (and mixing your own colors to match) the color with acrylic latex
(water base) paint and then clear coat over it with automotive clear.
That is considered the right way.

I am not the inventor of this method and even far from and expert, but
I have done one so far (Space Shuttle) and it came out GREAT, for more
and better info you may search "Arizona Bruce Clearcoat" and also "This
Old Pinball" Repair and restoration guides/videos.

http://marvin3m.com/fix.htm
http://marvin3m.com/restore/index.htm

I don't know anyting about the method you are asking about, although it
sounds unsafe to me. When you stick a (mylar) decal over the worn area
of a PF you (or a future owner) will pull off even more art
(surrounding the worn area) when the sticker/decal is eventually peeled
off. With even more art lost down the raod when the decal is removed
will make the PF even less likely to be salvageable and more likely to
be lost forever. :( GodSpeed sir, GodSpeed.

Food for thought, Have fun, Karl.

THAT's what we do! It looks really good when we're done, but takes a
LOT of time to do! Every game we refurbish gets that as part of our
process, and we've done hundreds of games. We do the same thing for
scratches on the cabinet.

karl

Well said Jenna, for what it's worth, I agree completely.

You have done HUNDREDS?!, I am humbled by your experience and
dedication to the pinball world. I ask more politely, who is "we", do
you sell pins at a store/website? Are you just another addict
(collector), or both?

Thanks for the advise Jenna, best wishes, Karl.

Pinballs Unlimited :-D We have a few games, but mostly our business.
I do a lot of painting and help with customers, but my husband, the
owner, does all the other work. Needless to say, we don't have a whole
bunch of time for anything else, lol.

We refurbish, we do NOT restore. Big difference, and we tend to fix
problems permanently rather than just back to factory. I believe we
have enough experience to do the work we do. Everyone that buys our
games seems to think so... we stand behind our work, and do a lot of
it. No guess work here.

So, ummm, back to the original question: How can you make decals? how
do you make sure they fit? and is there an article somwhere? I have a
pin that is missing alot of paint on the PF and I was wondering the
same thing.

karl

> Oh brother. Here we go again :) C'mon Karl,

:)

> Have you seen mine and others restorations using Varathane? Do you
> realize it is formulated for WOOD?

This thread is giving me a woodrow.

Seriously however, Cliffy, I'm sure your restorations are top notch and
your protectors are great for the hobby too, I am just a "firm"
believer in auto clear.

I did first hand the Arizona Bruce method and I'll never try anything
else, it's just that good. His secret (although he makes no secret
about it) is putting on enough material (clear coat) to fill unlevel
areas of touch up and inserts then sand it down level finer and finer
until it is buffed and polished like glass. It's not all that thick
overall after sanding. It really looks like glass, no exageration, LIKE
GLASS!

Not like auto clears which are
> formulated for metals.

The ball is metal, so what is better to protect against wear from the
metal ball than a product designed for... metal!
;/

Have fun, Karl.

karl

Cliffy wrote:
> where do we find the words "bad guy" anywhere Karl? :)

Uhh, I don't understand the question as worded... Is it a riddle?? I
think you are saying you did not call me a bad buy, no you did not, I
just read that into it which may be a whole other issue. :)

I feel like Tony Montana in "Scar Face", that's why I say it, it's one
of my favorite movie moments.

Thanks for all the work you do to help the pinball world Cliffy!

Have fun, Karl.

Thanks for the clarification. I just hope your refurbishing doesn't
impair a future buyers ability to fully restore ;)

--
Cliffy - CARGPB2
A passion for pinball!

check out Pinballpal.com

--

--
Cliffy - CARGPB2
A passion for pinball!
http://www.passionforpinball.com

Hey no I wasn't calling you a bad guy Karl and I can certainly agree
with you that auto clears do look like glass when done right :) Thanks
for all your insight and contributions too, Karl! Sadly, I don't have
hbo so never watched the sopranos :(

--
Cliffy - CARGPB2
A passion for pinball!
http://www.passionforpinball.com

I repaired some high-wear areas of my HH playfield using decals and I
think it turned out great.

Of course, you can judge for yourself....

http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/dmp65

To create the decals, I located someone on this newsgroup that owned
NOS playfields and who was gracious enough to take hi-res photos of the
areas that I needed to repair.

After many hours and lots of experimentation in Photoshop resizing and
getting the colors to print out just right, I used a self-adhesive
vinyl media to create the decals. Once printed, I applied a thin layer
of mylar and then cut out the decals and applied them. I should also
add that I prepped the playfield by filling the worn areas with
varathane to level them with the rest of the playfield.

I'm very happy with the results and, if need be, I can just remove the
decals should I ever decide to go whole hog and repaint/clear the
entire playfield.

Contrary to other's beliefs, I believe there's no right or wrong method
to repairing a playfield. Just do whatever works best for you and your
budget.

If you need any more info, feel free to email me.

Dave

Boy am I dumb :) I saw "Tony" and immediately tought Sopranos :) duh.
Yeah I remember that line from Scarface. Hey thats what needs to be
made! A classy mafia pin based on The Godfather!

--
Cliffy - CARGPB2
A passion for pinball!
http://www.passionforpinball.com

sb

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 01:38:04 +1000, Dave Pauk <davepauk@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I repaired some high-wear areas of my HH playfield using decals and I
> think it turned out great.

Looks brilliant!

{snip}
> I used a self-adhesive
> vinyl media to create the decals. Once printed, I applied a thin layer
> of mylar and then cut out the decals and applied them.

Does the mylar overlap the decal or is the adhesive on the vinyl the only
"sticky" surface that adheres to the playfield? Can you provide the
details on the vinyl product?

I love HH and your repairs look great. Well done.

Serious props, that is nearly undetectable unless you stare directly at
it in bright light. IMO, this is the future of playfield repair.