Quiet AMD coolers

GIPNOR

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2003
I know this isn't the heatsink/cooler forum, but that forum doesn't get enough traffic for a quick answer and I thought I might get some decent advice here.

I've got an Athlon 2100 at the moment. I've been using a crappy heatsink for a while and it's starting to rattle and make noise. I'd like to replace it with something quiet.

I had a Volcano 7 when I first built this rig and the damn thing was so loud I threw it in the trash.

I'll probably upgrade to an XP processor with a 333Mhz FSB whenever a decent game comes out and it's worth upgrading. Whatever cooler I buy should be able to adequately cool an Athlon 3000.

I don't overclock regularly, but I like to play around and tweak my machine. I'd prefer to have a silent PC than an overclocked PC.

Here's what I'm currently thinking:
http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/axp-3200.html?id=ChAvN23Y

I can't do that Zalman monstrosity... there's no way it would fit in my case since the power supply is fairly close to the processor. My MB is an ASUS A7N8X.

I don't want to spend over $40 total, so water cooling is out.

Thanks in advance!

I found a speeze 5C12B3 aluminum heatsink for only $4.99 at my local pc shop. Even at 5200 rpm, it's reasonably quiet. I reduce the rpms even further with a zalman fan mate 1. It's only $4.99 at Fry's. This heatsink had a temp reading of 47 celcius with a duron 1.6 overclocked at 2000. Nothing to brag about, but still decent, considering the noise factor. You can use the fan mate 1 with any heatsink fan to reduce noise.