UNOFFICIAL Windows98 Second Edition Service Pack

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
<A HREF="http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html" target="_new">UNOFFICIAL Windows98 Second Edition Service Pack 1.1</A>

<A HREF="http://myimages.fourvalve.com/exuberant/sesp1.exe" target="_new">Download</A> (Direct Link)

<b>Release Notes</b>

<i>What's New in 1.1?
All Version 1.0 users should install Version 1.1 without uninstalling Version 1.0.

- Better Scandisk.
- A minor bug fixed.

If you like this pack and feel like contributing a little something, you can donate money by clicking on the button below. Donations are used pay my internet bills, makes possible to add new features into the pack. Thank you for your support!

Features:

- 52 hot fixes. (All of them are from Microsoft.)
- 256-color tray. (Some icons on the tray like WinAMP's icon will be shown better.)
- Better Defrag and Scandisk. (Faster. They are from Windows ME. However, they work properly on the Windows98 SE.)
- Better Notepad. (Same Notepad with more key bindings.)
- Optimized swap file usage. (Windows will not to use the swap file at all until the entire RAM is used.)
- Better WDM and USB support. (Some problems about WDM drivers and USB devices are solved.)
- Windows Scripting Host 5.6. (Latest version of Scripting Host that also contains VBScript and JScript support.)
- Updates DCOM98 and OLE Automation.
- Visual Basic 6.0 SP5 runtime library. (To run Visual Basic 6.0 programs.)
- Windows 2000 color scheme. (You should select it from Control Panel-Display-Appearance.)
- A few cosmetic and performance tweaks.</i>

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig & 3DMark score</A></b>

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
They already have a Win98 service pack, its called WinME. But unlike the business OS service packs NT/Win2k/WinXP Microsoft released it as a :lol: "whole new" :lol: OS instead of a "look we fixed all the fuc|<ups in this release" download

<pre> /\
|| (-: Fun with ASCII :)
/\/\||/\/|
\ /
\______/
| |
| |
</pre><p>Thats not a bug, its an undocumented feature....

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
why bump it ? I mean, who uses 98 anyway :|

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
<b>I use W98SE</b>

Anything to say against?

No, haven't tried Win XP, but Win98SE is good enough for me, so why spend money buying a new OS, format the HD, configure everything, download drivers, etc? A lot of troubles for sure. Worse performace and, you know what, I avoid a good amount of viruses because they are now W98 ready! :wink: Incredible but true, don't know what to do on my computer :lol:

Also right now all software (or at least games and common applications) runs for W98SE.

So all in all I prefer to continue with it an I will update when necesary. Remember, if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Still looking for a <b>good online retailer</b> in Spain :frown:

Also right now all software (or at least games and common applications) runs for W98SE.

Office 2003 will install only on computers with Windows 2000 or Windows XP... no Win9x for Office 2003.

:tongue:

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Sure Zoron!

But I am still with Office 98 ... and don't to spend more money on a new version!

Seriously, I know that I can not install some software or some version, probably with new features, easy of use, etc. Probably because I haven't taste it I don't feel I am loosing something worth (better that way :wink: ). Well, but Murphy's Law say they always change what you most use! :lol:

Right now is ok for me, an I am almost sure a lot of people do the same. I am not worried Micro$oft don't give me support, I have survived a lot of time without it.

Still looking for a <b>good online retailer</b> in Spain :frown:

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
>Remember, if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Sure, I just find it amazing someone would find win9x not to be broken :)

Seriously though, if it works for you, why not.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
>Remember, if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Sure, I just find it amazing someone would find win9x not to be broken :)

Seriously though, if it works for you, why not.