Closed

How to expand system drive by spanning to a partition on s..

September 11, 2005 10:45:03 PM

I'm currently ruing Win XP Pro on my PC. When I installed the system, I only
allocated 20GB for the system partition. As time goes and installation
appls, the system drive disk space only has 15% disk space left. I have
another 10GB partition (d: drive) which has become available but it resides
on a separate physical hard disk.

The only option that I can think of is to uninstall the appls and reinstall
it on this spare drive to free up disk space on system drive. It involves
quite bit of work which I do not wish to do if and only if this is the only
solution.

Can I expand the system drive to include this "D:\" as part of the system
drive (single logical partition) ?

Please help.

More about : expand system drive spanning partition

September 11, 2005 11:26:53 PM

Wellie wrote:
> I'm currently ruing Win XP Pro on my PC. When I installed the system, I only
> allocated 20GB for the system partition. As time goes and installation
> appls, the system drive disk space only has 15% disk space left. I have
> another 10GB partition (d: drive) which has become available but it resides
> on a separate physical hard disk.
>
> The only option that I can think of is to uninstall the appls and reinstall
> it on this spare drive to free up disk space on system drive. It involves
> quite bit of work which I do not wish to do if and only if this is the only
> solution.
>
> Can I expand the system drive to include this "D:\" as part of the system
> drive (single logical partition) ?

Sure, it's called a Spanned Volume.

If you can, backup the system disk BEFORE you do ANY OF THIS.

First you must convert the existing system disk to a "dynamic disk"
(there are some inherent limitations you need to consider - a dynamic
disk can't be dual boot, also it can't be a laptop/USB/firewire/shared
SCSI drive).

Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk
Management. Right click on the existing system drive > Convert to
Dynamic Disk.

In Disk Management open the Extend Volume Wizard and add the new drive
(or part of it) to the old system drive that you just converted to a
dynamic disk.

NOTE: Once you create a spanned volume, there's no going back! You can't
just remove space from it at a later time. You can only add space.
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 1:16:02 AM

Hi Z

With your suggestion, if later (year+) I decide to rebuild system by first
back up all data files and then resize all partitions to the size I need and
then rebuild the system ?

Regards

"Z" wrote:

> Wellie wrote:
> > I'm currently ruing Win XP Pro on my PC. When I installed the system, I only
> > allocated 20GB for the system partition. As time goes and installation
> > appls, the system drive disk space only has 15% disk space left. I have
> > another 10GB partition (d: drive) which has become available but it resides
> > on a separate physical hard disk.
> >
> > The only option that I can think of is to uninstall the appls and reinstall
> > it on this spare drive to free up disk space on system drive. It involves
> > quite bit of work which I do not wish to do if and only if this is the only
> > solution.
> >
> > Can I expand the system drive to include this "D:\" as part of the system
> > drive (single logical partition) ?
>
> Sure, it's called a Spanned Volume.
>
> If you can, backup the system disk BEFORE you do ANY OF THIS.
>
> First you must convert the existing system disk to a "dynamic disk"
> (there are some inherent limitations you need to consider - a dynamic
> disk can't be dual boot, also it can't be a laptop/USB/firewire/shared
> SCSI drive).
>
> Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk
> Management. Right click on the existing system drive > Convert to
> Dynamic Disk.
>
> In Disk Management open the Extend Volume Wizard and add the new drive
> (or part of it) to the old system drive that you just converted to a
> dynamic disk.
>
> NOTE: Once you create a spanned volume, there's no going back! You can't
> just remove space from it at a later time. You can only add space.

September 12, 2005 1:21:12 AM

The only way you can create, delete, resize or merge existing partitions,
and not harm your existing Windows installation, is to purchase and use
a third-party partitioning program such as Partition Magic 8.
http://www.symantec.com/partitionmagic/

The alternative is to perform a "Clean Install" of Windows XP.

Clean Install Windows XP

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

"Wellie" wrote:

| I'm currently ruing Win XP Pro on my PC. When I installed the system, I only
| allocated 20GB for the system partition. As time goes and installation
| appls, the system drive disk space only has 15% disk space left. I have
| another 10GB partition (d: drive) which has become available but it resides
| on a separate physical hard disk.
|
| The only option that I can think of is to uninstall the appls and reinstall
| it on this spare drive to free up disk space on system drive. It involves
| quite bit of work which I do not wish to do if and only if this is the only
| solution.
|
| Can I expand the system drive to include this "D:\" as part of the system
| drive (single logical partition) ?
|
| Please help.
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 1:21:13 AM

Thanks Carey,

I have an older version of Partition Magic 8.01 and had never used it for
this purpose. Will this version work with Win XP Pro to merge system drive
partition with partition from other hd ?

Regards

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> The only way you can create, delete, resize or merge existing partitions,
> and not harm your existing Windows installation, is to purchase and use
> a third-party partitioning program such as Partition Magic 8.
> http://www.symantec.com/partitionmagic/
>
> The alternative is to perform a "Clean Install" of Windows XP.
>
> Clean Install Windows XP
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Wellie" wrote:
>
> | I'm currently ruing Win XP Pro on my PC. When I installed the system, I only
> | allocated 20GB for the system partition. As time goes and installation
> | appls, the system drive disk space only has 15% disk space left. I have
> | another 10GB partition (d: drive) which has become available but it resides
> | on a separate physical hard disk.
> |
> | The only option that I can think of is to uninstall the appls and reinstall
> | it on this spare drive to free up disk space on system drive. It involves
> | quite bit of work which I do not wish to do if and only if this is the only
> | solution.
> |
> | Can I expand the system drive to include this "D:\" as part of the system
> | drive (single logical partition) ?
> |
> | Please help.

Anonymous
September 12, 2005 1:36:02 AM

Another alternative to using Partition Magic is to use a Knoppix CD, and use
kt-parted to expand the partition. If there is blank space after the end of
your C drive, you can also use diskpar (a Windows resource kit utility) to
expand the partition as well.
This only works if you are using the same disk. If you need to combine two
disks, you can either strip them together under Windows dynamic disk.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309044&sd=tech

--
Eric Bursley
Microsoft MVP

> The only way you can create, delete, resize or merge existing partitions,
> and not harm your existing Windows installation, is to purchase and use
> a third-party partitioning program such as Partition Magic 8.
> http://www.symantec.com/partitionmagic/
>
> The alternative is to perform a "Clean Install" of Windows XP.
>
> Clean Install Windows XP
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Wellie" wrote:
>
> | I'm currently ruing Win XP Pro on my PC. When I installed the system, I
> only
> | allocated 20GB for the system partition. As time goes and installation
> | appls, the system drive disk space only has 15% disk space left. I have
> | another 10GB partition (d: drive) which has become available but it
> resides
> | on a separate physical hard disk.
> |
> | The only option that I can think of is to uninstall the appls and
> reinstall
> | it on this spare drive to free up disk space on system drive. It
> involves
> | quite bit of work which I do not wish to do if and only if this is the
> only
> | solution.
> |
> | Can I expand the system drive to include this "D:\" as part of the
> system
> | drive (single logical partition) ?
> |
> | Please help.

Anonymous
September 12, 2005 2:05:20 AM

"Wellie" <Wellie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Z
>
> With your suggestion, if later (year+) I decide to rebuild system by first
> back up all data files and then resize all partitions to the size I need
> and
> then rebuild the system ?

You can't extend a system volume or boot volume by spanning so this doesn't
apply in your case. You will have to use a third party tool to accomplish
what you want to do.

If it did apply then yes you could back everything up and recreate the
partitions later at whatever size you wanted then restore the data. I'm not
sure if disk imaging programs work with spanned volumes. You may be stuck
with Ntbackup.

Kerry
September 12, 2005 2:31:43 AM

Wellie wrote:
> With your suggestion, if later (year+) I decide to rebuild system by first
> back up all data files and then resize all partitions to the size I need and
> then rebuild the system ?

Sure, that'll work just fine.

1. Make a full backup, _including_System_State_ and save the .bkf
somewhere safe (e.g.: a CD/DVD or another hard drive or partition that's
not going to be used for the new system disk)

2. Repartition and reformat your disks during the preliminary steps of a
reinstallation of Windows

3. Boot to the new Windows installation and restore the full backup over
the top of the new installation.

Unfortunately, there's no way to restore a Windows backup when booted to
the Windows console on the CD. If there was, you could skip the
reinstallation of Windows in Step 2 and save a few hours of unnecessary
work.
September 12, 2005 2:50:48 AM

Kerry Brown wrote:
> You can't extend a system volume or boot volume by spanning so this doesn't
> apply in your case. You will have to use a third party tool to accomplish
> what you want to do.

Hmm, I searched Help and Support on microsoft.com but I can't find that
limitation stated anywhere. Do you have a URL to a MS KB article that
says you can't make a system disk a spanned volume?

This article
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314343 makes no
such mention of that limitation.
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 11:35:51 AM

"Z" <Z@no.spam> wrote in message news:WG8Ve.10681$tc7.5018@fe03.lga...
> Kerry Brown wrote:
>> You can't extend a system volume or boot volume by spanning so this
>> doesn't apply in your case. You will have to use a third party tool to
>> accomplish what you want to do.
>
> Hmm, I searched Help and Support on microsoft.com but I can't find that
> limitation stated anywhere. Do you have a URL to a MS KB article that says
> you can't make a system disk a spanned volume?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308424/

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/p...

Kerry
September 12, 2005 8:54:10 PM

Kerry Brown wrote:
>>>You can't extend a system volume or boot volume by spanning so this
>>>doesn't apply in your case. You will have to use a third party tool to
>>>accomplish what you want to do.

>>Hmm, I searched Help and Support on microsoft.com but I can't find that
>>limitation stated anywhere. Do you have a URL to a MS KB article that says
>>you can't make a system disk a spanned volume?

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308424/

NOTE:
• You cannot extend the system or boot volume.

Thanks.
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 10:55:14 PM

"Z" <Z@no.spam> wrote in message news:zyoVe.31053$ih4.23911@fe02.lga...

>>>Hmm, I searched Help and Support on microsoft.com but I can't find that
>>>limitation stated anywhere. Do you have a URL to a MS KB article that
>>>says you can't make a system disk a spanned volume?
>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308424/
>
> NOTE:
> • You cannot extend the system or boot volume.
>
> Thanks.

Your welcome.

Kerry
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 11:13:03 PM

Thanks for all of you's help and reference to KB articles. I'll digest them
and decide what is the best course of action.

Have a great day/evening.

"Wellie" wrote:

> I'm currently ruing Win XP Pro on my PC. When I installed the system, I only
> allocated 20GB for the system partition. As time goes and installation
> appls, the system drive disk space only has 15% disk space left. I have
> another 10GB partition (d: drive) which has become available but it resides
> on a separate physical hard disk.
>
> The only option that I can think of is to uninstall the appls and reinstall
> it on this spare drive to free up disk space on system drive. It involves
> quite bit of work which I do not wish to do if and only if this is the only
> solution.
>
> Can I expand the system drive to include this "D:\" as part of the system
> drive (single logical partition) ?
>
> Please help.

September 2, 2009 3:20:01 AM

It is not allowed to extend the partition between different disks unless the dynamic disk. You may convert your disk to dynamic disk and then span the partition between different disks. By the way, it is not allowed to expand the system dynamic disk partition in with the disk management tool in Windows. Here is an alternative way for your to extend the disks with dynamic disk: www.partition-tool.com/resource/clone-dynamic-disk.htm
February 28, 2010 5:10:55 PM

Whilst the comments here are true there is another way to give yourself much more space on the C drive if you have another drive available (either physical or as part of a virtual machine) even if yu can't span the system/boot volume.

All you do is use a feature of Unix which windows has which windows admins don't realize is a part of everyday admin work for a unix admin, ie symbolic links.

For example, say you had a folder called c:\Data which was large and you wanted to free up space on the C drive but you couldn't just move c:\Data because various programs expect it to be in the location c:\Data.

All you do is copy your folder and its subfolders to your new drive and give it a name which reminds you that it is the new location, for example copy c:\Data to d:\DataFromCDrive

(if any programs are using the files in c:\Data at the time then stop them first or boot into safe mode and carry out these steps)

Now all you do is delete the original contents of c:\Data to make it empty. (which is fine as you have a copy of it).
Using the Microsoft pstool called junction.exe you tell the filesystem where you moved the files to, ie:

junction.exe c:\Data d:\DataFromCDrive

(if you are moving a folder with spaces such as "Program Files" make sure you use quotes)

Now open up explorer and navigate to c:\Data -- all the expected files will be there but you just freed up space on the C drive coz you deleted the files from the original location.As this happens at the NTFS level, the applications are totall oblivious. This works for Program Files, Inetpub, infact anything taking up large amounts of space on the C drive which would be major hassle to move otherwise such as SQL server.

Enjoy!

Elliott
PS. sysinternals tool are available here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/default...
PPS. Don't put your swap file on the C drive - this slows your machine down.
PPPS. Most of you are nadgers except the person who first asked the legit question ;-)
Anonymous
July 14, 2010 9:57:14 AM

You can finish this operation. More information you can get in “Dynamic Disk Partition Management and Extend, Shrink, Resize Dynamic Volume”.
July 14, 2010 1:08:27 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!