Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Old monitor value?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
February 23, 2011 4:39:09 PM

So I got a nice Viewsonic vp2000s lcd from my friends for helping them move a while ago. I love it because of its utility for browsing online or working with letter format pages, no distortion regardless of viewing angle etc and general adjustability of the stand.

Quick Specs
1600x1200 (can rotate to 1200x1600)
S-IPS pixel type
60hz refresh
400:1 contrast (a tad dark but thats because I havent properly calibrated it)
16ms response

It was originally priced at $500ish in 2005. I was wondering how much it would be worth now? it is in seemingly perfect condition so that shouldn't be a detractor to the price

More about : monitor

a c 193 C Monitor
February 23, 2011 5:21:35 PM

Kinda hard to tell since most people want new monitors that has a warranty. Gamers will not want it because it's response time is too slow. General consumers will probably want a wide screen monitor since that is the standard now.

You are left with a niche market which means you need to set a relatively low price to sell it. At most I would say is $200 and that's still considered a little high. You can get a decent 22" Dell U2211H for $240 which uses the newer e-IPS panel and is 1920 x 1080 resolution. While e-IPS is not as good as S-IPS, it is a lot less expensive, much better than TN panels tech in terms of colors and viewing angles, and lower response times of 8ms so it makes it more suitable for gaming.

In November 2003 I bought my first LCD monitor, the 19" Planar PX191 which uses a S-PVA panel. It was consider one of the best monitor in it class (even though Planar was an still is relatively unknown in the consumer market) with a price tag to match it; $750. I bought it on sale for roughly $650 including shipping and tax. In 2009, I gave it away for free because by that time I already bought 3 other LCD monitors and had no room to store the Planar hoping that someone would pay a reasonable amount of money for it (I was guessing $150 - $175).

Best solution

a c 99 C Monitor
February 24, 2011 10:44:29 AM

OP,

viewsonic professional monitors of that era are excellent monitors for doing most anything. the 16ms response time meshes with the 60hz signal perfect. color, viewing angle are also perfect. the only downside is the backlighting during dark scenes (which plague most lcds) but i do not consider this a problem. the 4:3 resolution is better than 1080p for every single application except widescreen movies (which vary ratios anyways).

people who have not owned one (i have a vp201b going strong!) automatically look at stats and assume it is an inferior product. posted response times are meaningless as they do not judge the actual performance of the monitor.

all that said, since there is no warranty on this device, and being that it is about 6 years old you will probably not do well when trying to sell it. $50-150 is all you will get if people know the product is in perfect working condition. the one point jaguarsks got right is the fact that people do not want to buy used electronics (especially lcds and things that have uncertain lifecycles). my suggestion is to just keep the monitor, trade, or give it away for a favor in the way you received it.
Related resources
February 24, 2011 2:30:41 PM

ssddx said:
OP,

viewsonic professional monitors of that era are excellent monitors for doing most anything. the 16ms response time meshes with the 60hz signal perfect. color, viewing angle are also perfect. the only downside is the backlighting during dark scenes (which plague most lcds) but i do not consider this a problem. the 4:3 resolution is better than 1080p for every single application except widescreen movies (which vary ratios anyways).

people who have not owned one (i have a vp201b going strong!) automatically look at stats and assume it is an inferior product. posted response times are meaningless as they do not judge the actual performance of the monitor.

all that said, since there is no warranty on this device, and being that it is about 6 years old you will probably not do well when trying to sell it. $50-150 is all you will get if people know the product is in perfect working condition. the one point jaguarsks got right is the fact that people do not want to buy used electronics (especially lcds and things that have uncertain lifecycles). my suggestion is to just keep the monitor, trade, or give it away for a favor in the way you received it.

Yeah at this point I think i'm just gunna hold onto it and use it as a secondary monitor, not many affordable monitors out there that can do the same things. As for response time I only noticed a difference from a 2ms monitor to 16ms in the arcade game geometry wars, everything else works flawlessly.
a c 83 C Monitor
February 28, 2011 6:47:16 PM

Use it as a second TV display, I am using a older Planar 21" in the bedroom with an old laptop to run Netfix streaming, etc...
March 7, 2011 10:27:41 PM

Best answer selected by OMFGitsthatGUY.
!