Shrinking Winsxs, that old question

I know that you can't eliminate winsxs, and that it is do darn big because it has every version of every DLL, or something like that, so that you avoid DLL hell. But is there any way to trim it, perhaps a tool that will clean out versions compatible with software versions previous to applied updates? Will removing the back-out packages for patches and service packs clean out the old stuff? Everything that I've seen to date indicates that I am stuck with all of it forever.

Or is this going to keep growing until I need to buy a larger SSD?

Solution
I think the dism.exe tool run as a admin could do some cleanup but I have never used it. You might be able to google for the command line syntax.
- also, I think the WINSXS uses links to files so it is a little smaller than is actually reported. (10-15% maybe)

edit:
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /spsuperseded

dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /? to get info on the cleanup option

there is also the options /StartComponetCleanup to clean up the superseaded components and reduce the size of the component store

don't know if that would be useful.
I think the dism.exe tool run as a admin could do some cleanup but I have never used it. You might be able to google for the command line syntax.
- also, I think the WINSXS uses links to files so it is a little smaller than is actually reported. (10-15% maybe)

edit:
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /spsuperseded

dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /? to get info on the cleanup option

there is also the options /StartComponetCleanup to clean up the superseaded components and reduce the size of the component store

don't know if that would be useful.

Solution
I'm going to do a restore - update - backup cycle again soon, and I will try the dism tool. I suspect that Ubrales is correct - I just needed to be slapped across the chops with the idea that there is no help for this situation.

Aughta be able to delete things with no references left - sort of like garbage collection! Maybe in Windows 9.

Best is pending test of dism.exe

Ran dism.exe. Researching it led me here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2592038 .
This prompted me to try cleanmgr.exe, as mentioned in that article.

When I clicked on the control for cleanmgr to clean up System file, it found 16 GB of "temporary" files. Allowing it to clean those up actually freed up about 7 to 8 GB of space on the drive, probably due to hard links.

I'll wait a week or two to see if my system is stable, and get back to you.

^ Not just a week - the problem lies in the fact that Microsoft will use/link FUTURE updates to existing code. The key word is "future".

This is why CCLEANER categorically states not to run it on the drive containing the OS.

After all, the code, guides, and help (Microsoft) is written by several teams from foreign countries by people who do not have a good command over the English language. How do they communicate with each other?

Well, then, it's a good thing that I did an image backup of the system drive before I ran cleanmgr. Ubrales, I suspect that you are correct and that this is bad for my system. But I can afford to play with it, since I can always restore the system to an earlier state from my backups. I have a separate HDD for backups in my most recent series of playings-around, plus copies of key ones on another drive. So I can always go back, having learned a lesson.

ccleaner.exe and cleanmgr.exe are not the same program, they are made by different companies and have different actions. Cleanmgr.exe is part of the operating system and had been for years.

true you probably don't want to run CCleaner drive wipe on your OS drive if you still want to boot. It would be hard to make a registry cleaner that could not target your OS drive.

I have no idea what the being a foreign born coder would have to do with anything. none of my drivers, CPU's ,file systems, ... speak English. Some of the best coders I have ever know were born outside of the USA.

person who posted was a bit confused

I stand by every word I posted and no I am NOT confused. The coders you mentioned may be doing a good job in coding and also a great job with relevant guides and manuals in THEIR language, but when they try to do the same In English they fall flat on their asses! The problem rises in the fact they they 'THINK' they know English!

Whatever, the good coders I knew were too limited of a resource and were never put on writing manuals or end user docs. We hired technical writers for that- Good old Americans most who have never coded in their life.

I agree! That is what Microsoft should do, instead of letting semi-ignorant (in English) coders write guides, manuals, and help screens! Tell this to Microsoft, and unfortunately the recommendations will be read and discarded by the same semi-ignorant people! This is the crux of the problem!

Both Ubrales and johnbl gave correct answers, so it's hard to pick a best. This one goes to johnbl as "most useful to me," unless the cleanmgr screws up my OS.

I'm glad that you two came to agreement on the writing thing. OTOH, I consider myself a top-notch coder, but one of the most successful projects I ever lead I spent my time writing specifications and overseeing other coders - I wrote very little code. But English is my best language.