please help, loss of power

Sorry to have to post this again, but no-one seems to want to answer this
question.
Can someone please help or direct me where I can get some answers.

Whenever I put certain cd's in my cd rom my pc loses all power,
when I try to turn it back on , it starts up but I get a blank screen. I then
have to turn it off at the wall and turn it on again.
I have cleaned the fan and inside the machine. I haven't changed anything or
installed new software, all these discs previously worked.
Any help would be appreciated.

--
This was supposed to be FUN!
7 answers Last reply

    madmich wrote:
    > Sorry to have to post this again, but no-one seems to want to answer
    > this question.
    > Can someone please help or direct me where I can get some answers.
    >
    > Whenever I put certain cd's in my cd rom my pc loses all power,
    > when I try to turn it back on , it starts up but I get a blank
    > screen. I then have to turn it off at the wall and turn it on again.
    > I have cleaned the fan and inside the machine. I haven't changed
    > anything or installed new software, all these discs previously worked.
    > Any help would be appreciated.

    No one wants to answer?

    You put in a CD and your computer loses all power.
    Replace the CD drive with a different one - try again.. If it still does it,
    then you may have a bad controller (on the motherboard) or a bad power
    supply.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Or tell us exactly which "certain cd's" since that implies
    that all other cd's play normally?

    some support

    | madmich wrote:
    | > Sorry to have to post this again, but no-one seems to
    want to answer
    | > this question.
    | > Can someone please help or direct me where I can get
    some answers.

    | > Whenever I put certain cd's in my cd rom my pc loses
    all power,
    | > when I try to turn it back on , it starts up but I get a
    blank
    | > screen. I then have to turn it off at the wall and turn
    it on again.
    | > I have cleaned the fan and inside the machine. I haven't
    changed
    | > anything or installed new software, all these discs
    previously worked.
    | > Any help would be appreciated.
    |
    | No one wants to answer?
    |
    | You put in a CD and your computer loses all power.
    | Replace the CD drive with a different one - try again.. If
    it still does it,
    | then you may have a bad controller (on the motherboard) or
    a bad power
    | supply.
    |
    | --
    | Shenan Stanley
    | MS-MVP
    | --
    | How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    | http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

    OK, it loses power when I put Sim City 4, The Sims 2 and a Windows XP PC
    basics disc (from a mag) in. But then it works when I put Roller Coaster
    Tycoon 3 and a Netguide cd (from a mag) in. I haven't obviously tried all my
    cd's as I have heaps, but I will try others if it helps.
    I don't really have a spare CD drive laying around, so any other suggestions
    before I start buying stuff and ripping bits out of my PC would be good.
    Thanks for answering.
    --
    This was supposed to be FUN!

    "Jim Macklin" wrote:

    > Or tell us exactly which "certain cd's" since that implies
    > that all other cd's play normally?

    > some support
    > http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
    >

    > "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > | madmich wrote:
    > | > Sorry to have to post this again, but no-one seems to
    > want to answer
    > | > this question.
    > | > Can someone please help or direct me where I can get
    > some answers.
    > | >
    > | > Whenever I put certain cd's in my cd rom my pc loses
    > all power,
    > | > when I try to turn it back on , it starts up but I get a
    > blank
    > | > screen. I then have to turn it off at the wall and turn
    > it on again.
    > | > I have cleaned the fan and inside the machine. I haven't
    > changed
    > | > anything or installed new software, all these discs
    > previously worked.
    > | > Any help would be appreciated.
    > |
    > | No one wants to answer?
    > |
    > | You put in a CD and your computer loses all power.
    > | Replace the CD drive with a different one - try again.. If
    > it still does it,
    > | then you may have a bad controller (on the motherboard) or
    > a bad power
    > | supply.
    > |
    > | --
    > | Shenan Stanley
    > | MS-MVP
    > | --
    > | How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    > | http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

    When you say it "loses power" does the CD stop turning
    (sound), does the light go out, or does the computer freeze
    or die?

    I have seen such failures when a DVD is placed in a CD
    drive. It is also possible that those particular CDs are
    defective, try them on another computer to see if the
    problem follows the CD.

    It is also possible that your computer doesn't have the
    required hardware to play those games, check the type of
    sound and graphics cards you have and compare to the game
    specs.

    Good luck.

    some support

    "madmich" <madmich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    | OK, it loses power when I put Sim City 4, The Sims 2 and a
    Windows XP PC
    | basics disc (from a mag) in. But then it works when I put
    Roller Coaster
    | Tycoon 3 and a Netguide cd (from a mag) in. I haven't
    obviously tried all my
    | cd's as I have heaps, but I will try others if it helps.
    | I don't really have a spare CD drive laying around, so any
    other suggestions
    | before I start buying stuff and ripping bits out of my PC
    would be good.
    | Thanks for answering.
    | --
    | This was supposed to be FUN!
    |

    | "Jim Macklin" wrote:
    |
    | > Or tell us exactly which "certain cd's" since that
    implies
    | > that all other cd's play normally?
    | >

    | > --
    | > some support
    | > http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
    | >

    | > "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message
    | > want to answer
    | > some answers.

    loses
    | > all power,
    | > blank
    | > it on again.
    | > changed
    | > previously worked.
    | > |
    | > | No one wants to answer?
    | > |
    | > | You put in a CD and your computer loses all power.
    | > | Replace the CD drive with a different one - try
    again.. If
    | > it still does it,
    | > | then you may have a bad controller (on the
    motherboard) or
    | > a bad power
    | > | supply.
    | > |
    | > | --
    | > | Shenan Stanley
    | > | MS-MVP
    | > | --
    | > | How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    | > | http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    | > |
    | > |

    Thanks Jim,
    Well, I'll start at the beginning, the pc dies(turns off), light goes out
    and everything turns off,then I am unable to turn it back on again (will not
    power up) and the only way to start it again is to turn it off at the wall
    and then turn it on again.
    The drive in question is actually a dvd drive as well as a cd drive, which I
    probably should have mentioned.
    I am sure these cd's are not defective as they have all worked fine before
    this problem.
    My pc meets all requirements for these cd's (had to have a higher graphics
    card installed for one of them), and as I said before these games have been
    working for months perfectly before this problem.
    Sorry to complicate matters, but the problem got worse this morning.
    I could not turn on the pc at all, the light would go on, then straight off.
    I checked all the cords, turned it off at the wall and on again and kept
    trying, finally it turned on, but I got no beep and nothing on screen, so I
    checked the four little lights at the back that are supposed to go
    green(diagnostic LED's), well the top left and two bottom ones were red, and
    it just stayed like that. I checked the mainboard book and it says it will
    hang like this if "the memory module is damaged or not installed properly".
    I'm not really sure what this means.
    It finally started up, I don't know why, but I'm glad it did.
    How can I stop this happening, it seems like the problems could be related
    as they both seem to have something do with power.
    Please help, I am afraid to turn off my pc now.
    --
    This was supposed to be FUN!

    "Jim Macklin" wrote:

    > When you say it "loses power" does the CD stop turning
    > (sound), does the light go out, or does the computer freeze
    > or die?
    >
    > I have seen such failures when a DVD is placed in a CD
    > drive. It is also possible that those particular CDs are
    > defective, try them on another computer to see if the
    > problem follows the CD.
    >
    > It is also possible that your computer doesn't have the
    > required hardware to play those games, check the type of
    > sound and graphics cards you have and compare to the game
    > specs.
    >
    > Good luck.

    > some support
    > http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
    >

    > "madmich" <madmich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message
    > | OK, it loses power when I put Sim City 4, The Sims 2 and a
    > Windows XP PC
    > | basics disc (from a mag) in. But then it works when I put
    > Roller Coaster
    > | Tycoon 3 and a Netguide cd (from a mag) in. I haven't
    > obviously tried all my
    > | cd's as I have heaps, but I will try others if it helps.
    > | I don't really have a spare CD drive laying around, so any
    > other suggestions
    > | before I start buying stuff and ripping bits out of my PC
    > would be good.
    > | Thanks for answering.
    > | --
    > | This was supposed to be FUN!
    > |

    > | "Jim Macklin" wrote:
    > |
    > | > Or tell us exactly which "certain cd's" since that
    > implies
    > | > that all other cd's play normally?
    > | >

    > | > --
    > | > The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
    > | > But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
    > | > some support
    > | > http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
    > | >

    > | > "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > | > want to answer
    > | > some answers.

    > loses
    > | > all power,
    > get a
    > | > blank
    > turn
    > | > it on again.
    > haven't
    > | > changed
    > | > previously worked.
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > again.. If
    > | > it still does it,
    > motherboard) or
    > | > a bad power
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |

    Seems like you are using a Dell machine. From your discription it sound like
    a power supply problem.

> [...]
    >>
    >> Good luck.
    >>

    >> --
    >> The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
    >> But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
    >> some support
    >> http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
    >>

    >> "madmich" <madmich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> message
    >> | OK, it loses power when I put Sim City 4, The Sims 2 and a
    >> Windows XP PC
    >> | basics disc (from a mag) in. But then it works when I put
    >> Roller Coaster
    >> | Tycoon 3 and a Netguide cd (from a mag) in. I haven't
    >> obviously tried all my
    >> | cd's as I have heaps, but I will try others if it helps.
    >> | I don't really have a spare CD drive laying around, so any
    >> other suggestions
    >> | before I start buying stuff and ripping bits out of my PC

    Hi beb,
    It's not a Dell machine, I know this sounds dumb , but I'm not sure what it
    is, I can tell you this it's a MSI P4 mainboard.
    What can I do about this power supply problem?
    Thanks
    --
    This was supposed to be FUN!

CD-Rom Power Windows XP