Password Protection for Folder in XP

Hello!

How to provide password and protect a particular folder in Windows XP,
without using any 3rd party Utilities.

Thnaks

Kishore
3 answers Last reply
More about password protection folder

    Hi,

    WinXP doesn't provide for passwording folders. It can password a compressed
    (zipped) folder only. XP uses permissions to determine which users have
    access to folders.

    HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in Windows
    XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308418

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    Nijesh wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > How to provide password and protect a particular folder in Windows XP,
    > without using any 3rd party Utilities.
    >
    > Thnaks
    >
    > Kishore

    Like Win2K, WinXP's file security paradigm doesn't rely on, or
    allow, the cumbersome method of password protection for individual
    applications, files, or folders. Instead, it uses the superior method
    of explicitly assigning file/folder permissions to individual users
    and/or groups.

    HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q308418

    HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
    Folders
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q308419

    HOW TO Set the My Documents Folder as Private in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298399

    Of course, if you have WinXP Pro, you can encrypt the desired
    files/folders.

    Best Practices for Encrypting File System
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223316

    As a crude work-around, if you actually prefer Win9x's way, you
    can place the file in a compressed folder, and set a password to
    uncompress the folder to view/access its contents.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 21:29:12 -0600 in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Bruce Chambers favored us with...
    > Like Win2K, WinXP's file security paradigm doesn't rely on, or
    > allow, the cumbersome method of password protection for individual
    > applications, files, or folders. Instead, it uses the superior method
    > of explicitly assigning file/folder permissions to individual users
    > and/or groups.

    Bwaaa-haa-haa!

    "Cumbersome" and "superior" are in the eye of the beholder. The fact
    that "how do I password-protect a file or folder" is a FAQ here is
    enough to demonstrate that the other method might be preferred by
    some but is _not_ objectively "superior".

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    "What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?"
    "My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters."
    "The waters? What waters? We're in the desert."
    "I was misinformed."

Microsoft Windows XP