systeminfo.exe

Normally when I go to a command prompt and type in "systeminfo", a bunch of
information is displayed about my computer. One thing I always liked was
that it would show my system uptime.

Now when I run the command it always says the system uptime is "N/A". I
have searched Google and other people have this problem. I cant however find
a solution to fix it so that the system uptime is displayed.

The output looks like this:

System Up Time: N/A

Does anyone know what causes this and how to fix it?

Thanks,
Adam
4 answers Last reply
More about systeminfo

    Hi Adam,

    Might be a problem with WMI. To test that, see if this script helps:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/resources/qanda/sept04/hey0907.mspx

    Copy the script to Notepad, and save as "Uptime.VBS" to the Desktop.
    Double-click the file. BTW, to report in "minutes", change the following
    line:

    dtmSystemUptime = DateDiff("h", dtmLastBootUpTime, Now)
    dtmSystemUptime = DateDiff("n", dtmLastBootUpTime, Now)

    Alternately, you can use the uptime.exe utility from Microsoft Resource Kit
    tools. Uptime is a simple command line tool that analyzes a single server
    for reliability and availability information. It can work locally or
    remotely. In its simple form, the tool will display the current system
    uptime. An advanced option allows you to access more detailed information
    such as shutdown, reboots, operating system crashes, and Service Pack
    installation.
    You can download uptime.exe from here:

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/winntsrv40/Install/uptime_1.01/NT4/EN-US/uptime.exe

    Download and save this file on your hard disk. You can then run uptime.exe
    from a command prompt. Type cmd.exe in Start, Run and uptime.exe
    You'll see the output like this:

    \\XPCOMP has been up for: 0 day(s), 0 hour(s), 49 minute(s), 6 second(s)

    Uptime Reliability and Availability Information Tool : [Microsoft Windows NT
    Server 4.0; uptime tool; reliability and availability tool; ]:
    http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/nts/downloads/management/uptime/default.asp

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "xadamz23" <xadamz23@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Normally when I go to a command prompt and type in "systeminfo", a bunch
    > of
    > information is displayed about my computer. One thing I always liked was
    > that it would show my system uptime.
    >
    > Now when I run the command it always says the system uptime is "N/A". I
    > have searched Google and other people have this problem. I cant however
    > find
    > a solution to fix it so that the system uptime is displayed.
    >
    > The output looks like this:
    >
    > System Up Time: N/A
    >

    > Does anyone know what causes this and how to fix it?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Adam

    The uptime.exe file worked. But I would still like to know how to get
    systeminfo.exe to work again.

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Hi Adam,
    >
    > Might be a problem with WMI. To test that, see if this script helps:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/resources/qanda/sept04/hey0907.mspx
    >
    > Copy the script to Notepad, and save as "Uptime.VBS" to the Desktop.
    > Double-click the file. BTW, to report in "minutes", change the following
    > line:
    >
    > dtmSystemUptime = DateDiff("h", dtmLastBootUpTime, Now)
    > dtmSystemUptime = DateDiff("n", dtmLastBootUpTime, Now)
    >

    > Alternately, you can use the uptime.exe utility from Microsoft Resource Kit
    > tools. Uptime is a simple command line tool that analyzes a single server
    > for reliability and availability information. It can work locally or
    > remotely. In its simple form, the tool will display the current system
    > uptime. An advanced option allows you to access more detailed information
    > such as shutdown, reboots, operating system crashes, and Service Pack
    > installation.
    > You can download uptime.exe from here:
    >
    > http://download.microsoft.com/download/winntsrv40/Install/uptime_1.01/NT4/EN-US/uptime.exe
    >
    > Download and save this file on your hard disk. You can then run uptime.exe
    > from a command prompt. Type cmd.exe in Start, Run and uptime.exe
    > You'll see the output like this:
    >
    > \\XPCOMP has been up for: 0 day(s), 0 hour(s), 49 minute(s), 6 second(s)
    >
    > Uptime Reliability and Availability Information Tool : [Microsoft Windows NT
    > Server 4.0; uptime tool; reliability and availability tool; ]:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/nts/downloads/management/uptime/default.asp
    >

    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "xadamz23" <xadamz23@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Normally when I go to a command prompt and type in "systeminfo", a bunch
    > > of
    > > information is displayed about my computer. One thing I always liked was
    > > that it would show my system uptime.
    > >
    > > Now when I run the command it always says the system uptime is "N/A". I
    > > have searched Google and other people have this problem. I cant however
    > > find
    > > a solution to fix it so that the system uptime is displayed.
    > >
    > > The output looks like this:
    > >
    > > System Up Time: N/A
    > >

    > > Does anyone know what causes this and how to fix it?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Adam

    >> But I would still like to know how to get systeminfo.exe to work again.

    That's the reason I suggested you try the WMI script. If that fails, then
    there is something wrong with WMI files in the system.

    --

    > The uptime.exe file worked. But I would still like to know how to get
    > systeminfo.exe to work again.
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Adam,
    >>
    >> Might be a problem with WMI. To test that, see if this script helps:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/resources/qanda/sept04/hey0907.mspx
    >>
    >> Copy the script to Notepad, and save as "Uptime.VBS" to the Desktop.
    >> Double-click the file. BTW, to report in "minutes", change the following
    >> line:
    >>
    >> dtmSystemUptime = DateDiff("h", dtmLastBootUpTime, Now)
    >> dtmSystemUptime = DateDiff("n", dtmLastBootUpTime, Now)
    >>

    >> Alternately, you can use the uptime.exe utility from Microsoft Resource
    >> Kit
    >> tools. Uptime is a simple command line tool that analyzes a single server
    >> for reliability and availability information. It can work locally or
    >> remotely. In its simple form, the tool will display the current system
    >> uptime. An advanced option allows you to access more detailed information
    >> such as shutdown, reboots, operating system crashes, and Service Pack
    >> installation.
    >> You can download uptime.exe from here:
    >>
    >> http://download.microsoft.com/download/winntsrv40/Install/uptime_1.01/NT4/EN-US/uptime.exe
    >>
    >> Download and save this file on your hard disk. You can then run
    >> uptime.exe
    >> from a command prompt. Type cmd.exe in Start, Run and uptime.exe
    >> You'll see the output like this:
    >>
    >> \\XPCOMP has been up for: 0 day(s), 0 hour(s), 49 minute(s), 6 second(s)
    >>
    >> Uptime Reliability and Availability Information Tool : [Microsoft Windows
    >> NT
    >> Server 4.0; uptime tool; reliability and availability tool; ]:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/nts/downloads/management/uptime/default.asp
    >>

    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "xadamz23" <xadamz23@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Normally when I go to a command prompt and type in "systeminfo", a
    >> > bunch
    >> > of
    >> > information is displayed about my computer. One thing I always liked
    >> > was
    >> > that it would show my system uptime.
    >> >
    >> > Now when I run the command it always says the system uptime is "N/A".
    >> > have searched Google and other people have this problem. I cant
    >> > however
    >> > find
    >> > a solution to fix it so that the system uptime is displayed.
    >> >
    >> > The output looks like this:
    >> >
    >> > System Up Time: N/A
    >> >

    >> > Does anyone know what causes this and how to fix it?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks,
    >> > Adam

    Well when I run the vbs script, it displays "1". Im guessing it is reporting
    how many hours my system has been up because it has been up for a little over
    an hour.

Command Prompt Microsoft Windows XP