Help with laptop purchase

I've been asked to price a laptop for someone I work with. She will be using
it at home mostly for work-related projects. I must confess, Dell's pricing
strategy has me boggled. Our IT folks would prefer she get a Latitude D600
(that's their current configuration and they can easily image her hard
drive). Since this is a home purchase we of course have the 2 options of
home or small business, both of which have different pricing schemes going
on or we can utilize our "educational 10% discount" (applies to Inspiron,
not Latitude, btw) were somehow, even when she included the currently
offered rebates and upgrades, the bottom line cost was over $1K more than
what I got from the web last night.

What is the difference between the two?

Benefits of M processors over P4?

I couldn't get a simple answer from the sales rep.

Thanks,

Hello,

Have you considered picking up a laptop from the Dell Outlet? You can
usually get a really good configuration much cheaper than the regular Dell
store.

Alot of times you can also get free shipping and other free stuff or
add-ons. The systems always come with a 1-year warranty.

Give that a shot and I bet it will beat your 10% educational discount as
well.

--
JLA ENTERPRISES TECHNOLOGIES INTEGRATION
Technical Support Team

Check out some of the items we are offering
Dell Docking Stations starting at $5.00
Dell 21" Flat Screen Monitors starting at $40.00
Dell Latitude and Inspiron CD Rom and Floppy Drives starting at $5.00

Be sure to visit http://www.jlaenterprises.com
"gardenia" <patgaz@prodigy.net> wrote in message
> I've been asked to price a laptop for someone I work with. She will be
using
> it at home mostly for work-related projects. I must confess, Dell's
pricing
> strategy has me boggled. Our IT folks would prefer she get a Latitude D600
> (that's their current configuration and they can easily image her hard
> drive). Since this is a home purchase we of course have the 2 options of
> home or small business, both of which have different pricing schemes going
> on or we can utilize our "educational 10% discount" (applies to Inspiron,
> not Latitude, btw) were somehow, even when she included the currently
> offered rebates and upgrades, the bottom line cost was over $1K more than
> what I got from the web last night.
>
> What is the difference between the two?
>
> Benefits of M processors over P4?
>
> I couldn't get a simple answer from the sales rep.
>
> Thanks,

I did that just a few weeks ago when I replaced my aging home built
computer. I've discussed buying from the outlet, but she's been burned
buying refurb stuff before.

Thanks for your input