Change the way the security center alerts me

Is there any Policy setting for this? We are running a NetWare network,
and all student clients are complaining since the Windows Seucrity
Center does not recognize F-Secure 5.43.

The really strange thing is the Security Center recognized it on your
all-norwegian image, this "error" appeared only after we decided to go
for Multi-language(English first then norwegian on top)
8 answers Last reply
More about change security center alerts

    I tried to use this reg setting, but when I looked in the Security
    Center "change the way...alerts me" after running the .reg file the
    option for virus protection wasn't unchecked and the warning balloon
    apeared in the system tray. I checked the reg key in regedit and
    everything seemed to be just fine. I also tried to but the reg key into
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER, but no luck

    I don't know why this happens, but if it is to any help we use NetWare
    login.

    I also tried to disable all balloons in the tray with a .reg file from
    Kellys Corner(thanks btw!) This did only work when i logged in as local
    admin. I have a feeling that this just might be working the same way.

    If You have any tip as to how this could be solved I would be very
    pleased

    Thanks for your answer!

    I am not sure if we tried to reboot after setting this reg change, so I
    will try this.

    For info only:
    All our Students have local admin rights due to school policy and the
    fact that it gives us less problems, since many of the applications
    availible for the students needs this.

    The file I pulled from Kelly's Corner was to disable all balloons from
    the tray which, if not needed, I would prefer not to use this. Not all
    of these balloons are a pain in the ass. Only those the students do not
    need to see, since they can't help it anyway.
    Link: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/balloondisable.reg

    I couldn't find any disablenotify.reg

    again Torgeir, Thanks a million for even bothering to answer!

    matsr wrote:

    > Is there any Policy setting for this? We are running a NetWare network,
    > and all student clients are complaining since the Windows Seucrity
    > Center does not recognize F-Secure 5.43.
    >
    > The really strange thing is the Security Center recognized it on your
    > all-norwegian image, this "error" appeared only after we decided to go
    > for Multi-language(English first then norwegian on top)

    Hi,

    There are three registry settings for the Security Center. These
    settings determine whether or not the user receives alerts for a given
    feature. If a key has a value of 0 or is nonexistent, the notification
    icon and alert system for that feature are enabled. If a value exists
    and is set to 1, the notification icon and alert system for the feature
    is disabled.

    AntiVirusDisableNotify (DWORD)
    FirewallDisableNotify (DWORD)
    UpdatesDisableNotify (DWORD)

    The three registry settings needs to be under the registry key
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    matsr wrote:

    > I tried to use this reg setting, but when I looked in the Security
    > Center "change the way...alerts me" after running the .reg file the
    > option for virus protection wasn't unchecked and the warning balloon
    > apeared in the system tray. I checked the reg key in regedit and
    > everything seemed to be just fine.

    After adding the registry settings, you must reboot or stop and
    start the Security Center service to see the change.

    > I also tried to but the reg key into HKEY_CURRENT_USER, but no luck

    Only HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE is supported for those registry values.

    > I don't know why this happens, but if it is to any help we use NetWare
    > login.
    >
    > I also tried to disable all balloons in the tray with a .reg file from
    > Kellys Corner(thanks btw!) This did only work when i logged in as local
    > admin. I have a feeling that this just might be working the same way.

    Yes, disablenotify.reg from Kellys Corner sets the same registry
    values.

    > If You have any tip as to how this could be solved I would be very
    > pleased

    I assume that your users are not local admins, and that is what causes
    you a problem when using logon script to do the registry changes.

    If so, a runas program should help you.

    Different RunAs products listed here, some free and some not, some
    with encryption option for the password as well:

    http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?selm=3FE0B42C.773CA875%40hydro.com

    Other ones not mentioned in the link above:

    SUperior SU (free, has a command line iterface)
    http://www.stefan-kuhr.de/supsu/main.php3

    Supercrypt (as well as LSrunas/LSrunasE)
    http://www.lansweeper.com/ls/lsrunas.aspx

    Runasspc
    http://www.robotronic.de/runasspcEn.html

    You may also want to check out PolicyMaker Application Security
    (previously NeoExec), the main difference is that it does not require
    the use of a second account, as most other RunAs derivatives requires.

    PolicyMaker Application Security
    http://www.desktopstandard.com/PolicyMakerApplicationSecurity.aspx

    Alternatively:

    The ZEN Works Starter Package (formerly Novell Application Launcher
    and Workstation Manager) that comes free with Netware is maybe
    something you want to look into.

    Consider using this support resource instead of this group for question
    about Netware:

    Novell forums (web)/group(news):
    http://support.novell.com/forums/

    ZENworks Product Support Forums
    http://support.novell.com/forums/2zw.html

    matsr wrote:

    > Thanks for your answer!
    >
    > I am not sure if we tried to reboot after setting this reg change, so I
    > will try this.
    >
    > For info only:
    > All our Students have local admin rights due to school policy and the
    > fact that it gives us less problems, since many of the applications
    > availible for the students needs this.
    >
    > The file I pulled from Kelly's Corner was to disable all balloons from
    > the tray which, if not needed, I would prefer not to use this. Not all
    > of these balloons are a pain in the ass. Only those the students do not
    > need to see, since they can't help it anyway.
    > Link: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/balloondisable.reg
    >
    > I couldn't find any disablenotify.reg

    374. Security Center Alert Settings - Enable or Disable

    Anyway, I wouldn't have bothered with those registry edits, I would
    just have disabled the Security Center service all together, this
    way no SC alerts will never be seen anymore.

    Put the following in your logon script to disable and stop the SC
    service:

    %SystemRoot%\system32\sc.exe config wscsvc start= disabled
    %SystemRoot%\system32\net.exe stop wscsvc

    (there is supposed to be a space behind start= )

    > again Torgeir, Thanks a million for even bothering to answer!

    Ikke noe problem, glad jeg kan hjelpe :-)

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    Well... just for the record the reg key works just fine. After the
    reboot the "Virus protection" option under "change how Security Center
    alerts me" is unchecked

    found: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/disablenotify.reg
    (thanks Torgeir!)

    I don't really see why I should disable the whole service when this reg
    key does the trick, but I will take notice(penandpaper.sys) of the
    setting. Maybe I will use this later if it screws up even more.

    The idea with the Security Center is not a bad idea, if only it had
    better support for external suppliers of AV systems and firewalls.

    Jeg bor faktisk bare 45min(eller noe sånt) fra Porsgrunn...snedig...

    igjen TAKK!

    quote:
    > Note that it is the external suppliers that needs to adjust their
    > products to support the Security Center, and not the other way around.
    >
    > Microsoft have released information to the external suppliers on how
    > they can co-operate with the Security Center interface.

    In my case I don't think this is the case, since F-secure 5.43 was
    recognized on our older configuration, using Norwegian WinXP. We
    upgraded to 5.43 because version 5.41 was not supported(well the
    suppliers hadn't thought about SP2).

    Maybe something was changed in this routine? Or maybe there are some
    language mixups? All I know is it used to work ok.

    It dosen't really matter anyhow since we're about to upgrade to
    F-secure Client Security(aka. F-Secure 6). I hope this version is
    recognized, so I can reverse the reg key mentioned earlier.

    matsr wrote:

    > Well... just for the record the reg key works just fine. After the
    > reboot the "Virus protection" option under "change how Security Center
    > alerts me" is unchecked

    Great :-)

    > found: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/disablenotify.reg
    > (thanks Torgeir!)
    >
    > I don't really see why I should disable the whole service when this reg
    > key does the trick, but I will take notice(penandpaper.sys) of the
    > setting. Maybe I will use this later if it screws up even more.
    >
    > The idea with the Security Center is not a bad idea, if only it had
    > better support for external suppliers of AV systems and firewalls.

    Note that it is the external suppliers that needs to adjust their
    products to support the Security Center, and not the other way around.

    Microsoft have released information to the external suppliers on how
    they can co-operate with the Security Center interface.

    > Jeg bor faktisk bare 45min(eller noe sånt) fra Porsgrunn...snedig...
    >
    > igjen TAKK!

    Verden er liten :-)

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Security Microsoft Windows XP