Recovering a Deleted Partition In Windows XP

September 12, 2005 5:11:01 AM

Hi, I've searched the internet for a simple way to do this, but it seems it
all revolves around paying for the privilege, hence I hope you can help. I
introduced a new hard drive into my machine which was going to be the primary
drive, along with a secondary hard drive which contained all my MP3, MPEGs,
JPEGs, etc. And before I go further, the second HDD hadn't been backed up for
new a year. As I type this, I now understand the importance and value behind
backup!! Anyway, I inserted my Windows XP operating disk, and started the
machine. It went through the usual start up procedure, asked me to format
and partition the new hard drive BUT, for some unknown reason, when I was
prompted to choose which HDD, I choose BOTH! So, I have deleted, but not
formatted, my second HDD. I know when I chose delete Windows moved the
first line of code on this HDD so that it's not recognised on the system as a
partitioned HDD. Through various free tools on the internet, I have found
all the files and folders on this drive, they're still there, but I now need
to make this HDD realise it's a HDD again or recover these files and folder
either onto the new HDD or onto CD. Can anyone suggest a way of doing this in
Windows or anything else without having to pay 3rd party suppliers? The HDD
has around 100Gb of data to recover, and the system is running XP Home
Edition.
September 12, 2005 8:30:13 AM

Your information is worth so much to you that you don't want to pay anyone
"anything"? Open your wallet and pay a few bucks for your mistake.

"Thomas, UK" <Thomas, UK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I've searched the internet for a simple way to do this, but it seems
> it
> all revolves around paying for the privilege, hence I hope you can help.
> introduced a new hard drive into my machine which was going to be the
> primary
> drive, along with a secondary hard drive which contained all my MP3,
> MPEGs,
> JPEGs, etc. And before I go further, the second HDD hadn't been backed up
> for
> new a year. As I type this, I now understand the importance and value
> behind
> backup!! Anyway, I inserted my Windows XP operating disk, and started the
> machine. It went through the usual start up procedure, asked me to format
> and partition the new hard drive BUT, for some unknown reason, when I was
> prompted to choose which HDD, I choose BOTH! So, I have deleted, but not
> formatted, my second HDD. I know when I chose delete Windows moved the
> first line of code on this HDD so that it's not recognised on the system
> as a
> partitioned HDD. Through various free tools on the internet, I have found
> all the files and folders on this drive, they're still there, but I now
> need
> to make this HDD realise it's a HDD again or recover these files and
> folder
> either onto the new HDD or onto CD. Can anyone suggest a way of doing this
> in
> Windows or anything else without having to pay 3rd party suppliers? The
> HDD
> has around 100Gb of data to recover, and the system is running XP Home
> Edition.
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 8:30:14 AM

Richard, thanks for your reply. Very helpful. I've already splashed out
100's to Microsoft for various operating systems and software, 1000s to
various PC companies for hardware and now, I find that the delete command
simply moves a bit of code, hence my reason for a simple soloution. One
would think Microsoft would have some sort of recovery tool built into it's
operating systems to add problems like this!?

Again Richard, thanks for your response. Have a nice day.

"Richard" wrote:

> Your information is worth so much to you that you don't want to pay anyone
> "anything"? Open your wallet and pay a few bucks for your mistake.
September 12, 2005 9:04:54 AM

Hello, Thomas.
I congratulate you that you've just delete but not format your drive.
But I'm afraid you cannot do recovery without 'partition recovery
software'
(http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/diskdirec...).
Once my younger brother deleted partition by accident. And I had there
tons of important data, so I need to restore all it. There for I use
Acronis Disk Director. It's truly dependable and convenient software.
This program easily and very fast restore whole deleted partition. I'm
really happy, even my brother, because he wasn't punished. I just
explained him how to use this wonderful software, due to intuitive
wizard it available not only for deeply tech people.

--
Jucy
September 12, 2005 10:42:12 AM

Hi,

Testdisk www.cgsecurity.org
Mbrwork www.terabyteunlimited.com

Either should be able to help you recover the deleted partition, both are
free.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Thomas, UK" <Thomas, UK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I've searched the internet for a simple way to do this, but it seems
> it
> all revolves around paying for the privilege, hence I hope you can help.
> introduced a new hard drive into my machine which was going to be the
> primary
> drive, along with a secondary hard drive which contained all my MP3,
> MPEGs,
> JPEGs, etc. And before I go further, the second HDD hadn't been backed up
> for
> new a year. As I type this, I now understand the importance and value
> behind
> backup!! Anyway, I inserted my Windows XP operating disk, and started the
> machine. It went through the usual start up procedure, asked me to format
> and partition the new hard drive BUT, for some unknown reason, when I was
> prompted to choose which HDD, I choose BOTH! So, I have deleted, but not
> formatted, my second HDD. I know when I chose delete Windows moved the
> first line of code on this HDD so that it's not recognised on the system
> as a
> partitioned HDD. Through various free tools on the internet, I have found
> all the files and folders on this drive, they're still there, but I now
> need
> to make this HDD realise it's a HDD again or recover these files and
> folder
> either onto the new HDD or onto CD. Can anyone suggest a way of doing this
> in
> Windows or anything else without having to pay 3rd party suppliers? The
> HDD
> has around 100Gb of data to recover, and the system is running XP Home
> Edition.
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 10:42:13 AM

Rick and Jucy, Thank you both. Obviously you both having a better Monday
then Richard and Pegasus. I will try your suggestions! Beers all round
(except for the terrible twosome above!!).
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 5:50:31 PM

Jucy wrote:
> *Hello, Thomas.
> I congratulate you that you've just delete but not format your
> drive.
> But I'm afraid you cannot do recovery without 'partition recovery
> software'
> (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/diskdirec...).
> Once my younger brother deleted partition by accident. And I had
> there
> tons of important data, so I need to restore all it. There for I use
> Acronis Disk Director. It's truly dependable and convenient
> software.
> This program easily and very fast restore whole deleted partition.
> I'm
> really happy, even my brother, because he wasn't punished. I just
> explained him how to use this wonderful software, due to intuitive
> wizard it available not only for deeply tech people.
>

> --
> Jucy

Another vote for Disk Director here.:)
This software has helped me to solve a lot of different problems with
HD.

--
pc_addicted
September 12, 2005 10:56:32 PM

"Thomas, UK" <Thomas, UK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I've searched the internet for a simple way to do this, but it seems
it
> all revolves around paying for the privilege, hence I hope you can help.
> introduced a new hard drive into my machine which was going to be the
primary
> drive, along with a secondary hard drive which contained all my MP3,
MPEGs,
> JPEGs, etc. And before I go further, the second HDD hadn't been backed up
for
> new a year. As I type this, I now understand the importance and value
behind
> backup!! Anyway, I inserted my Windows XP operating disk, and started the
> machine. It went through the usual start up procedure, asked me to format
> and partition the new hard drive BUT, for some unknown reason, when I was
> prompted to choose which HDD, I choose BOTH! So, I have deleted, but not
> formatted, my second HDD. I know when I chose delete Windows moved the
> first line of code on this HDD so that it's not recognised on the system
as a
> partitioned HDD. Through various free tools on the internet, I have found
> all the files and folders on this drive, they're still there, but I now
need
> to make this HDD realise it's a HDD again or recover these files and
folder
> either onto the new HDD or onto CD. Can anyone suggest a way of doing this
in
> Windows or anything else without having to pay 3rd party suppliers? The
HDD
> has around 100Gb of data to recover, and the system is running XP Home
> Edition.

I have used Acronis Recovery Expert with good results. Unfortunately
the programmers who did such a fine job creating this product have
a very peculiar attitude: They expect to be paid for their great effort.
Now if all of us were as noble as you are and agreed to work for
nothing (you don't take money from your employer, do you?) then
the world would be a much better place.
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 10:56:33 PM

Thanks Pegasus. Really nice dig too. One can tell it's Monday!

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> "Thomas, UK" <Thomas, UK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, I've searched the internet for a simple way to do this, but it seems
> it
> > all revolves around paying for the privilege, hence I hope you can help.
> > introduced a new hard drive into my machine which was going to be the
> primary
> > drive, along with a secondary hard drive which contained all my MP3,
> MPEGs,
> > JPEGs, etc. And before I go further, the second HDD hadn't been backed up
> for
> > new a year. As I type this, I now understand the importance and value
> behind
> > backup!! Anyway, I inserted my Windows XP operating disk, and started the
> > machine. It went through the usual start up procedure, asked me to format
> > and partition the new hard drive BUT, for some unknown reason, when I was
> > prompted to choose which HDD, I choose BOTH! So, I have deleted, but not
> > formatted, my second HDD. I know when I chose delete Windows moved the
> > first line of code on this HDD so that it's not recognised on the system
> as a
> > partitioned HDD. Through various free tools on the internet, I have found
> > all the files and folders on this drive, they're still there, but I now
> need
> > to make this HDD realise it's a HDD again or recover these files and
> folder
> > either onto the new HDD or onto CD. Can anyone suggest a way of doing this
> in
> > Windows or anything else without having to pay 3rd party suppliers? The
> HDD
> > has around 100Gb of data to recover, and the system is running XP Home
> > Edition.
>
> I have used Acronis Recovery Expert with good results. Unfortunately
> the programmers who did such a fine job creating this product have
> a very peculiar attitude: They expect to be paid for their great effort.
> Now if all of us were as noble as you are and agreed to work for
> nothing (you don't take money from your employer, do you?) then
> the world would be a much better place.

Anonymous
September 13, 2005 2:36:47 AM

> Rick and Jucy, Thank you both. Obviously you both having a better Monday
> then Richard and Pegasus. I will try your suggestions! Beers all round
> (except for the terrible twosome above!!).

I note with amusement that you chose not to answer
the question about you working for your boss for free.
Wise decision!
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 2:36:48 AM

Wise decision? Why, you gonna come round and bash my computer? I didn't
answer cos I got bored reading your reply. Social skils = 2/10. Tech skills
= 3/10. Overall score = 2/10. Try harder mate. In fact, try switching off
your PC, go outside, breath in, breath out, look at surroundings, go for a
walk. There you go, real life.

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> I note with amusement that you chose not to answer
> the question about you working for your boss for free.
> Wise decision!

Anonymous
September 13, 2005 3:22:56 AM

I'm intrigued about getting a rating in my tech skills of 3/10
from someone who just managed to delete both partitions
from his hard drive and who, by his own admission, had
not backed up his data for "new a year" (nearly a year?).

This would be equivalent to a professional car driver
getting a rating from someone who just smashed his car,
then admits that he forgot to pay his insurance premium
one year ago.

> Wise decision? Why, you gonna come round and bash my computer? I didn't
> answer cos I got bored reading your reply. Social skils = 2/10. Tech
skills
> = 3/10. Overall score = 2/10. Try harder mate. In fact, try switching
off
> your PC, go outside, breath in, breath out, look at surroundings, go for a
> walk. There you go, real life.
>
> "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
>
> > I note with amusement that you chose not to answer
> > the question about you working for your boss for free.
> > Wise decision!

Anonymous
September 13, 2005 3:22:57 AM

Do you trawl these boards looking for trouble? Listen mate, I came on here
for help, and I get attitude off you. Take my advice and get a life. Two
users above can happily give advice. And I deleted one partition, not two,
so that speaks volumes about your motivates for being on here. Bullied at
school?

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> I'm intrigued about getting a rating in my tech skills of 3/10
> from someone who just managed to delete both partitions
> from his hard drive and who, by his own admission, had
> not backed up his data for "new a year" (nearly a year?).
>
> This would be equivalent to a professional car driver
> getting a rating from someone who just smashed his car,
> then admits that he forgot to pay his insurance premium
> one year ago.
>

> "Thomas, UK" <ThomasUK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Wise decision? Why, you gonna come round and bash my computer? I didn't
> > answer cos I got bored reading your reply. Social skils = 2/10. Tech
> skills
> > = 3/10. Overall score = 2/10. Try harder mate. In fact, try switching
> off
> > your PC, go outside, breath in, breath out, look at surroundings, go for a
> > walk. There you go, real life.
> >
> > "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
> >
> > > I note with amusement that you chose not to answer
> > > the question about you working for your boss for free.
> > > Wise decision!

Anonymous
September 13, 2005 3:53:44 AM

Quoting from your first post:

> Do you trawl these boards looking for trouble? Listen mate, I came on
here
> for help, and I get attitude off you. Take my advice and get a life. Two
> users above can happily give advice. And I deleted one partition, not
two,
> so that speaks volumes about your motivates for being on here. Bullied at
> school?

Anonymous
September 13, 2005 3:53:45 AM

Lordy, you really have nothing better to do but pick at peoples comments?
Don't tell me. Your short, bald and wear bottle rimmed glasses? And single?
Switch off your PC mate. Social skills now = 0/10. But 10/10 for picking
at my comments. 0/10 for people skills though. Tosser.

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> Quoting from your first post:
> "asked me to format and partition the new hard drive BUT,
> for some unknown reason, when I was prompted to choose
> which HDD, I choose BOTH"
>

> "Thomas, UK" <ThomasUK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Do you trawl these boards looking for trouble? Listen mate, I came on
> here
> > for help, and I get attitude off you. Take my advice and get a life. Two
> > users above can happily give advice. And I deleted one partition, not
> two,
> > so that speaks volumes about your motivates for being on here. Bullied at
> > school?

September 15, 2005 4:55:21 PM

I dont think it is unreasonable for the op to ask if there is a free
partition recovery tool out there. Plenty of programmers put software out
free of charge. I could understand the attitude if the op had asked for a
crack or serial for software but he didn't he asked a legfitimate question.

OP check out www.terabyteunlimited.com they have a program called mbrwork
which is free and might let you recover the partition.

Glen

"Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message

> "Thomas, UK" <Thomas, UK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi, I've searched the internet for a simple way to do this, but it seems
> it
>> all revolves around paying for the privilege, hence I hope you can help.
>> introduced a new hard drive into my machine which was going to be the
> primary
>> drive, along with a secondary hard drive which contained all my MP3,
> MPEGs,
>> JPEGs, etc. And before I go further, the second HDD hadn't been backed up
> for
>> new a year. As I type this, I now understand the importance and value
> behind
>> backup!! Anyway, I inserted my Windows XP operating disk, and started
>> the
>> machine. It went through the usual start up procedure, asked me to
>> format
>> and partition the new hard drive BUT, for some unknown reason, when I was
>> prompted to choose which HDD, I choose BOTH! So, I have deleted, but not
>> formatted, my second HDD. I know when I chose delete Windows moved the
>> first line of code on this HDD so that it's not recognised on the system
> as a
>> partitioned HDD. Through various free tools on the internet, I have
>> found
>> all the files and folders on this drive, they're still there, but I now
> need
>> to make this HDD realise it's a HDD again or recover these files and
> folder
>> either onto the new HDD or onto CD. Can anyone suggest a way of doing
>> this
> in
>> Windows or anything else without having to pay 3rd party suppliers? The
> HDD
>> has around 100Gb of data to recover, and the system is running XP Home
>> Edition.
>
> I have used Acronis Recovery Expert with good results. Unfortunately
> the programmers who did such a fine job creating this product have
> a very peculiar attitude: They expect to be paid for their great effort.
> Now if all of us were as noble as you are and agreed to work for
> nothing (you don't take money from your employer, do you?) then
> the world would be a much better place.

Anonymous
September 16, 2005 9:35:23 AM

Hi,

Active@ Undelete is really able to restore data. It has great recover
metods so it is really able to restore any possible data.
http://www.active-undelete.com
May 31, 2011 11:55:01 AM

In order to restore data from the deleted or formatted partition you need to make use of third party partition recovery software. By making use of this application you will be able to restore deleted as well as corrupted files from formatted partition safely.

This software makes use of extensively advanced algorithms to complete scanning process and recover damaged data safely.
February 23, 2012 10:53:53 AM

I did the exact same thing (deleted the wrong partition on a nearly full 500G slave drive while installing XP on a new master HDD) and NO you shouldn't pay BIG $$$ for software that's unnecessary. That's just stealing.

To fix this problem in XP go to http://www.petri.co.il/recover_a_deleted_ntfs_fat32_vol... . In the 3rd step they will give you a link to MS ( http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=153973 ) which will guide you the rest of the way. If you need dskprobe.exe you can down load it FREE from http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=18... as part of the Windows XP Service Pack 2 Support Tools.

This all took me about 45 minutes and everything is back exactly the way it was.

Quote:

!