1733Mhz Dothan on Sonoma: 533Mhz FSB, DDR2, PCIe

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
So this is what the "Centrino" Platform will look like in 2 months or so:

Dothan will be launched with its massive 2MB cache and enhanced 90nm architecture. It's not prescott, so it should have a smaller heat output. It will have a 533Mhz FSB, and this has been confirmed.

A new platform will be launched, featuring azalia audio, PCI-Express functionality, DDR2 - probably single-channel DDR2-533 to go with a faster 533Mhz FSB... Plus, the wireless technology on centrino will get much improved and won't be obsolete.

So figure this... 1733Mhz, 2MB P-M on Sonoma Chipset with up to 2GB DDR2-533Mhz. Enhanced Power saving features and PCIe...

They better make Prescott faster and better quickly as well! Dothan is looking almost as if it could catch up. Imagine if it scaled beyond 2Ghz!

<i><font color=red>You never change the existing reality by fighting it. Instead, create a new model that makes the old one obsolete</font color=red> - Buckminster Fuller </i>

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
It's not prescott, so it should have a smaller heat output.
True it isnt the prescott, but still i would imagine the heat output/battery usage will still be a good amount more than the fastest pentium M processors. No matter what core it is intel and most other manufacturers are still having those gate leakage problems, unless they can straiten that up im not sure that 90nm is a very good idea for a notebook cpu(especially one to succed the pentium M).

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a procesor
110% BX fanboy

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
That's possible, of course... I do hope you're wrong, though. :wink:

P4Man: at least Centrino won't be that piece of crap it is now like you said!

<i><font color=red>You never change the existing reality by fighting it. Instead, create a new model that makes the old one obsolete</font color=red> - Buckminster Fuller </i>

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
You didnt provide a link, is this the dothan desktop announcement ? If so, allow me to comment (most comments are also valid for mobile BTW) :

I think heat is going to be the least of intels problems for this platform on the desktop. After all, its designed from the ground up as a mobile chip. If intel does have issues with 90nm, than it will hurt in the mobile market, but on the desktop, Dothan could easilty double Banias power consumption, and it would still run pretty damn cool.

>Dothan will be launched with its massive 2MB cache

This was known for ages; and I said more than once, I dont expect a huge jump over 1 MB banias, for the simple reason that a castrated Pentium M with half the cache, and half the associativity is barely slower than the real Pentium M. If cutting it in half doesnt hurt, doubling won't do miracles IMHO.

> It will have a 533Mhz FSB, and this has been confirmed.

This could help for sure.

> featuring azalia audio,

[irony]wow![/irony]

> PCI-Express functionality,

obviously, like every other platform

>DDR2 - probably single-channel DDR2-533 to go with a faster
>533Mhz FSB...

Like any other platform, and you know I'm not expecting much from DDR-II initially.

>So figure this... 1733Mhz

This is actually the biggest dissapointment. I would have hoped for faster clocks, specially for the desktop. Banias reached 1.7 GHz..

>They better make Prescott faster and better quickly as
>well! Dothan is looking almost as if it could catch up.
>Imagine if it scaled beyond 2Ghz

Now all if this isnt too impressive, nevertheless I'm a big believer; how about this: if Dothan can scale with a skewed process, Dothan could potentially turn out to be the real competitor to K8/9, both desktop as server. Its a big IF though, but from what I heard, Dothan even with is 2 Megs of cache is still a tiny little 89 or so mm² chip. The core has to be miniscule (someone got an estimate ?) It should be very feasable making multicore Dothan chip; power consumption is very low, size is small, performance is pretty impressive per clock, and outstanding considering its size. Ideal for multicore in other words. Bolt on AMD64, and there is a chip to look forward to. How about dual core for desktop, and quad core for servers ? It could make anyone quickly forget Prescott I think... IF it scales :) And if it doesnt, it would still be a damn nice server chip at ~2 GHz even in 2005.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
I think this is just for mobile.

Also, I saw it somewhere that Dothan's TDP was indeed lower than Banias'. I'm not sure about that, but I distinctly recall reading that...

As for 1733Mhz, That was just a guess. Dothan was originally slated in 1.7 and 1.8Ghz flavors; maybe they'll get a 1866Mhz out too, who knows? It would certainly do no harm to them... And it would be a great chip.

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
> I saw it somewhere that Dothan's TDP was indeed lower than
>Banias'

What I recall, TDP for Dothan (mobile) was first identical to Banias, then raised, and now lowered again to the same level as Banias. Won't be far from it anyway.

> Dothan was originally slated in 1.7 and 1.8Ghz flavors

So how does that rhyme with a 533 fsb ?

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
So how does that rhyme with a 533 fsb ?
It doesn't... It has to be 1733Mhz and 1866Mhz, I guess...