How to remove icon

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

Could anyone let me know how to remove the Windows Messenger icon from the
tool bar.

I tried uninstalling software associated with it but no luck.

If anyone could let me know how to remove the LAN icon, I'd appreciate that
also, tried everything, even re-setting the toolbar settings, but it ALWAYS
comes back. I've set these icons to 'Always hide' but they always come back.

Thanks

Try opening Windows Messenger, select Tools from the menu, go to Options and
select the Preferences tab. Deselect the item "Run this program when windows
starts". The only time the icon shows on mine is if I start Messenger.

Steve

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 17:01:07 +0000 (UTC), "Tony" <poipoipoi@poipoipoi.com>
wrote:

>But have been unable to get rid of the LAN icon

Open your Network Connections. Right click on the LAN connection and choose
Properties. There should be a checkmark to "Show icon in notification area
when connected". Unclick that option and your icon should be gone.
--
<<<SgtRich>>>

Desktop: Dell Dimension XPS T550
Notebook: Dell Inspiron 8600
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on both

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 17:01:07 +0000 (UTC), "Tony"
<poipoipoi@poipoipoi.com> wrote:

>Thanks for the tips.
>
>I have found that I am able to at least get rid of it by changing the
>settings for the Taskbar.. so its hidden, something XP has which previous
>systems didn't have.
>
>But have been unable to get rid of the LAN icon, and also the HP "Share To
>Web" icon on my desktop, which cannot be deleted.
>
>Any ideas on how to get rid of that would be much appreciated!!

Control Panels -> Network Connections -> right click the appropiate
LAN icon -> choose Properties -> uncheck "Show icon in notification
area when connected".

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

I tried that.. but it still comes back..

Thanks anyway!

"Tom S." <toms@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 17:01:07 +0000 (UTC), "Tony"
> <poipoipoi@poipoipoi.com> wrote:
>
> >Thanks for the tips.
> >
> >I have found that I am able to at least get rid of it by changing the
> >settings for the Taskbar.. so its hidden, something XP has which previous
> >systems didn't have.
> >
> >But have been unable to get rid of the LAN icon, and also the HP "Share
> >Web" icon on my desktop, which cannot be deleted.
> >
> >Any ideas on how to get rid of that would be much appreciated!!
>
> Control Panels -> Network Connections -> right click the appropiate
> LAN icon -> choose Properties -> uncheck "Show icon in notification
> area when connected".

That works for the connected LAN for me, but I would love to get rid of
the one for the unconnected LAN. Any ideas how to do that would be
appreciated. With a NIC in the laptop, one in the APR, a wireless NIC and
Bluetooth, those are a lot of LANs that usually aren't connected.

--
Thomas M. Goethe

"SgtRich" <UseNewsgroup@NotEmail.invalid> wrote in message
> On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 17:01:07 +0000 (UTC), "Tony" <poipoipoi@poipoipoi.com>
> wrote:
>
> >But have been unable to get rid of the LAN icon
>
> Open your Network Connections. Right click on the LAN connection and
choose
> Properties. There should be a checkmark to "Show icon in notification area
> when connected". Unclick that option and your icon should be gone.
> --
> <<<SgtRich>>>
>
> Desktop: Dell Dimension XPS T550
> Notebook: Dell Inspiron 8600
> Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on both

Go to Device Manager and select 'Do not use this device (Disable)' for the
one you don't use. Otherwise enjoy the icon.
kw

"Thomas M. Goethe" <goethe11@lycos.com> wrote in message
> That works for the connected LAN for me, but I would love to get rid
of
> the one for the unconnected LAN. Any ideas how to do that would be
> appreciated. With a NIC in the laptop, one in the APR, a wireless NIC and
> Bluetooth, those are a lot of LANs that usually aren't connected.
>

> --
> Thomas M. Goethe
>
> "SgtRich" <UseNewsgroup@NotEmail.invalid> wrote in message
> > On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 17:01:07 +0000 (UTC), "Tony"
<poipoipoi@poipoipoi.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >But have been unable to get rid of the LAN icon
> >
> > Open your Network Connections. Right click on the LAN connection and
> choose
> > Properties. There should be a checkmark to "Show icon in notification
area
> > when connected". Unclick that option and your icon should be gone.
> > --
> > <<<SgtRich>>>
> >
> > Desktop: Dell Dimension XPS T550
> > Notebook: Dell Inspiron 8600
> > Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on both

---

Let me take a stab at this...

By any chance, do you have a Firewire card installed? (Technical name: IEEE
1394.) Windows sets up network software for Firewire cards, because one of
the original ideas behind Firewire was that it could be used to connect
computers.

If you do have this type of card, go to Control Panel > Network Connections.
If you have an icon called 1394 Connection, it will also place an icon in
the tray (until you tell it not to.)

Rocky