Sign in with
Your question

Dell has no plans to use AMD chips

Last response: in CPUs
February 19, 2004 9:58:46 PM

<A HREF="http://news.com.com/2100-1006_3-5161443.html?tag=nefd_t..." target="_new">Dell has no plans to use AMD chips</A>

No comments.

----------------
Please vote in this poll: <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?na..." target="_new">Should Tom Fire Omid?</A>

More about : dell plans amd chips

February 19, 2004 10:10:18 PM

NO! :eek:  How? Why? I don't believe it.

A long long time ago, but I can still remember, how that music used to make me smile... <A HREF="http://www.nexus.hu/zonix/DIGGER.MID" target="_new"><b><font color=blue>Digger rulz</font color=blue></b></A>
February 19, 2004 11:26:04 PM

I believe it. Dell never sold AMD chips. Not surprised at all.
Related resources
February 20, 2004 12:03:19 AM

I expected it also, no suprise.
The good thing is HP is offering Opteron based servers, Dell will only lose customers.

Toms Hardware Site is a joke !
February 20, 2004 9:00:29 AM

Quote:
Dell has no plans to use AMD chips.

I don't either, Intel has always been the market leader and standard in the microprocessor market, it would be a terrible investment to use AMD chips. Compaq and Gateway use AMD and they never recovered from the damage and losses. There is only one word in the chip business and it's "intel" inside. AMD is for hobbyists and enthusiasts not real serious PC users. AMD=gaming, INTEL= working

DELL=money

-------
<i><b>512MB-P4 2.8B-RADEON 9500PRO</i></b>
<A HREF="http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=114823913..." target="_new">29,473 Aquamarks</A>#1 in class!
February 20, 2004 9:37:46 AM

LOL, yeah, we believe you :D 

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =
February 20, 2004 9:59:34 AM

Heh - what a cretin...

(there used to be a business case for Intel chips in single user PCs/terminals etc., but only because AMD didn't use integrated heat spreaders on pre-A64/Opteron chips[ask Crashman about that])

If a tree falls on coop, but noone is there to hear it - do less people rejoice?
February 20, 2004 1:04:06 PM

*yawn*

Well, this thread went to [-peep-] pretty quick.

Now pardon me while I tattoo the word "*PLONK*" on your forehead. :tongue:

<i><Lionel Hutz> I'll be defending...The SCO Group!!!??? Even if I lose, I'll be famous!</i>
February 20, 2004 2:01:25 PM

Quote:

Intel has always been the market leader and standard in the microprocessor market

Who is adopting AMD64 ?
Quote:

There is only one word in the chip business and it's "intel" inside.

Why do you think that is ? Because those people know chit about CPU`s and performence.
It takes a while to convince the Joe Smoe`s that an other brand is cheaper faster and you dont need to install an extra airco-system !

Kanavit, you cant keep on fooling the people...
Quote:

AMD is for hobbyists and enthusiasts not real serious PC users. AMD=gaming, INTEL= working

And wich persons know what is best ? i think hobbyists and enthusiasts know much more of it then the working people who use it to type in word/excell and all that !
Besides, have you seen Opteron against Xeon ?

Kanavit, you have to write for Toms Hardware Forum.
Work together with omid, he is your soulmate !
Think there would be some romantic tension between the 2 of you...

February 20, 2004 2:14:44 PM

Coop, you're no better than Kanavit, just on the opposite side.

Pot, meet Kettle.

Just because your misinformation supports AMD, doesn't make it any more right than Kanavit's misinformation.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>
February 20, 2004 2:42:33 PM

You know something Zoron. You’re no better than coop. Sure you jump all over the amd fanboys like sod and coop but look at the Omid editorial thread. Twice you have knocked a couple of newbies for simply criticizing the most blatant Intel fanboy thing I have ever seen written anywhere.

Don’t be such a hypocrite

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.
February 20, 2004 2:43:24 PM

Quote:
It takes a while to convince the Joe Smoe`s that an other brand is cheaper faster and you dont need to install an extra airco-system !

It is not a matter of time. It is a matter of marketing, which is something that AMD does not do very well.

Just as winning major OEMs is not about product superiority but about consumer demand and production capacity, which again are two things that AMD lacks compared to Intel. The fact that AMD makes a more technically compelling CPU right now is meaningless.

"Sad is the elephant upon the ice who went to put on his wooly coat only to realize that he left it in his other trunk." - DeEvolution
February 20, 2004 3:44:56 PM

Dell has a locked contract, but rather sweet deal, with intel. Dell sells machines to people that are componently challanged and dont know much about computer parts. Since people know intel and probably never heard of AMD, Dell will stick with Intel chips till AMD starts their own commercial compaign.

Barton 2500+ @ 2200mhz (10x220 vcore @ 1.8)
Asus A7N8X Dlx 440 FSB
1gb Geil GD pc3500 Dual Channel (2-3-3-6)
Segata 80gb SATA 8.5ms seek
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro(420/720)
February 20, 2004 3:46:11 PM

Let's be honest here, for a moment.

Bitching to high heaven about an editorial written by someone who is clearly biased on these forums doesn't accomplish anything. I see nothing insightful or informative coming as a result; just a lot of screaming AMD fans.

Sorry, but you lose. I am neither an Intel nor and AMD fanboy. To suggest otherwise would make you look like an idiot. The last two computers I owned were AMD (still both running, I might add) and my next computer could very likely be AMD. Just because I am currently running a P4 doesn't make me a fanboy. Look at Popey's posts for Christ's sake... he owns a P4 machine and look at the way he bitches Intel out.

Please buy a few clues before writing such responses.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>
February 20, 2004 3:54:43 PM

Its sad taht the fact that amd chips are better performers in alot of areas is meaningless. Its sad but true that ti comes down to marketing. AMD couldnt provide the supply intel does becuase its doesnt control 85% of the market. If they gained share, Im sure they could adapt to produce in larger quantities. I do wish amd would look into a bit more advertising, but it doesnt really hurt me. If i want an amd chip, 'Intel Inside' isnt going to sway my decision, it just comes down to the numbers. Its too bad more of the public wasnt aware of this. Maybe if AMD gets more on a stable, profit earning track, then they can work some more on advertising.
February 20, 2004 4:11:05 PM

Re: Let's be honest here, for a moment.

How’s this for honesty. Attacking a couple of amd fanboys is fine (it's pointless really and accomplishes nothing) but it's fine to speak the truth.

However attacking a couple of posters criticizing a blatant intel fanboy column is wrong. It might be pointless to criticize the column but it's even more hypocritical (and pointless) to attack the person responding to the column. Or can you not see that.

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart. <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by darko21 on 02/20/04 01:17 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
February 20, 2004 4:28:12 PM

And it's pointless to tell me it's pointless, because we both know it's pointless, so it's pointless.

:smile:

February 20, 2004 4:50:29 PM

I never read Omid's column; I just assumed it was typical IT crystal ball nonsense like all of the rest...

If a tree falls on coop, but noone is there to hear it - do less people rejoice?
February 20, 2004 4:53:22 PM

I didn't read it either, but after all of this, I suppose I just HAVE to read it. Just goes to show that there is really no such thing as bad publicity.

February 20, 2004 5:10:00 PM

STFU everyone.

i mean cmon who would buy an DELL here anyway......

Athlon 2700xp+ (oc: 3200xp+ with 200fsb) , Radeon 9800pro (oc: 410/370) , 512mb pc3200 (3-3-3-2), Asus A7N8X-X<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by coylter on 02/20/04 02:11 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
February 20, 2004 7:38:00 PM

love this quote from 10tonrage at an other forum :

I've always thought Dell uses AMD as a tool to get the best pricing from Intel.

I can hear them now.

Dell: "We've been looking at this new AMD chip, and it's got 64-bits.
Do you have 64-bits?"

Intel Rep: "Not yet, but [wink wink] it's on the way.
Need a refill on your drink?"

Dell: "Thanks. We were really thinking about coming out with a new line of servers with this new Opteron chip.
It's fantastic."

Intel Rep: "What can we do for you to keep you with us?"

Dell: "Well, I don't know. How about a better price than you're giving us now.
Oh, and, put on this hat and dance around like a circus monkey."

Intel Rep: "Sure."

February 20, 2004 8:18:56 PM

Holy [-peep-]!

I agree with one of coop's posts!

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

(Well except the THG site being a joke part)

February 20, 2004 9:28:46 PM

What funny about this is Dell going to be buying out Emachines. Which are both Intel and Dell computers. So would this mean Emachines just run Intel after Dell buys them.
February 20, 2004 9:34:27 PM

It funny how you say that. But I have two friends who have dell which aka as Hell. For they dont seem to run great. Then Gateway and Compaq. They also had problems with Intel.

So this bring up this Fact. They dont know how to make computers right or People who never own a computer buys it. Then messes up with a program they should not. And they have to take back. Or have someone who they know to reinstall windows.

So this is telling me It all chips Not Just amd. And new computer users.

So Next time get your Fact right.
February 20, 2004 11:32:04 PM

Quote:
Some people who are supporting Omid thinks so. They read THG columns for having a good laugh.

Omid's editorials are but a small part of this website. I too, read them for shits and giggles. I certainly don't expect a hard-hitting, unbiased review from him. If you do, you're in for a huge disappointment.

You cannot possibly judge an entire hardware site by the content of a single column. You don't like what Omid has to say? You don't have to read it. There's plenty of other content here that he didn't write.

February 21, 2004 2:06:32 AM

I think it's safe to say that the average Pentium user is a retard when it comes to a computer, compared to the enthusiast that may use an AMD.
I'm not saying ALL pentium users are retards(or all amd users are halfway computer literate), but as everyone seems to agree with due to the truth.. Intel has the market share as of now, and i see many retards in the office place which are mainly running Intels.

You know why co-workers want a pentium? Becuase they see a high ghz number and FSB and think it's godly.
These are the people that shell out 3 grand on a computer to play solitare and try and get onto the internet.

"They don't know what the internet is, or even how to get on the internet, but they have to be on it."

<A HREF="http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=610166081" target="_new">http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=610166081...;/A>
Figured i'd do it too..reality my ass.
!