SATA nightmare!!!

September 12, 2005 6:55:30 PM

Hi there,

Please help! I've got a new x64 system with a 200gb SATA hard drive.
I'm using 32bit XP Pro. The second day of use and my system started blue
screen looping (blue screen, crash, reboot, etc etc etc.). It turns out
that its an issue with the RAID configuration within Windows "apparently".
Anyway, my only resolve was to attempt to reinstall Windows. This is where
my problem gets deeper, I needed to obtain the SATA drivers on a floppy
disk, all good and they worked, except that Windows setup would hang when
examining the drive. The only way I could resolve this was by using
Partition Magic rescue disk and removing all partitions and starting again.

Now Windows setup starts installing, which is great, except it stops at
seemingly random points during install with "Setup cannot copy file
<foo.bar>". I've tried re-burning my image of XP Pro but it still does
exactly the same thing, if I reformat the parition and try again it stops on
a different file. Surely my MSDN download isn't corrupt?!?

What is wrong? I have RAID disabled, should I enable it? I have an
Asus K8V Deluxe. Arrgh! It's so painful trying to install Windows!

--
Nick Pateman

Please do not reply directly to me, but the entire newsgroup.
Any views expressed above are my own
Without predjudice

More about : sata nightmare

Anonymous
September 12, 2005 6:55:31 PM

Most Motherboard chipset derived SATA controllers are seen by
XP without the use of the Diskette. The BIOS takes care of the
handling of the drives. Over the weekend I built up a XP-64 PC w/
a similar setup (Abit A8V). Your description sound more like a
defective hard drive or an inability to read your Optical device to
install XP. You are correct that the RAID function in BIOS should
be disabled. I would carefully go through the BIOS and ensure
that all Mass Storage settings are correct. If necessary create your
system partition as FAT32. Boot to a DOS floppy with CD-ROM
support - copy the I386 folder to the FAT32 partition. Then invoke
the XP setup via WinNT.Exe. After XP is running convert the drive
to NTFS. Copying the folder will verify the contents are readable.

"Nick" <a@a.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> Please help! I've got a new x64 system with a 200gb SATA hard drive.
> I'm using 32bit XP Pro. The second day of use and my system started blue
> screen looping (blue screen, crash, reboot, etc etc etc.). It turns out
> that its an issue with the RAID configuration within Windows "apparently".
> Anyway, my only resolve was to attempt to reinstall Windows. This is
> where my problem gets deeper, I needed to obtain the SATA drivers on a
> floppy disk, all good and they worked, except that Windows setup would
> hang when examining the drive. The only way I could resolve this was by
> using Partition Magic rescue disk and removing all partitions and starting
> again.
>
> Now Windows setup starts installing, which is great, except it stops at
> seemingly random points during install with "Setup cannot copy file
> <foo.bar>". I've tried re-burning my image of XP Pro but it still does
> exactly the same thing, if I reformat the parition and try again it stops
> on a different file. Surely my MSDN download isn't corrupt?!?
>
> What is wrong? I have RAID disabled, should I enable it? I have an
> Asus K8V Deluxe. Arrgh! It's so painful trying to install Windows!
>
> --
> Nick Pateman

> Please do not reply directly to me, but the entire newsgroup.
> Any views expressed above are my own
> Without predjudice

September 12, 2005 7:30:09 PM

Hi there,

> Most Motherboard chipset derived SATA controllers are seen by
> XP without the use of the Diskette. The BIOS takes care of the
> handling of the drives.

Unfortunately mine isn't picked up by XP setup, I'm using XP Pro with
Service Pack 2 integrated. I heard tale of SATA versions but can't see any
on MSDN subscriptions.

> Over the weekend I built up a XP-64 PC w/
> a similar setup (Abit A8V). Your description sound more like a
> defective hard drive or an inability to read your Optical device to
> install XP.

Well, if that is the case it doesn't make sense how it went wrong in the
first place. I left the pc on over night working perfectly, XP all updated
and everything running fine. Then at some point during the night it decided
to go into this loop. If the hard drive is defective then Partition Magic
should inform me surely? I'm hoping the Optical drive is okay as it is
brand new :-( Hmmmm!!!

> You are correct that the RAID function in BIOS should
> be disabled. I would carefully go through the BIOS and ensure
> that all Mass Storage settings are correct.

I've just tried setting up a RAID configuration with 1 drive and
plugging the drive into PRI_SATA. The array is created, and partition magic
picks up the drive fine, but Windows setup doesnt! Even with the Promise or
VIA drivers being loaded with F6! This is thoroughly frustrating.

> If necessary create your
> system partition as FAT32. Boot to a DOS floppy with CD-ROM
> support - copy the I386 folder to the FAT32 partition. Then invoke
> the XP setup via WinNT.Exe. After XP is running convert the drive
> to NTFS. Copying the folder will verify the contents are readable.

But if setup succeeds on Fat32 but fails on NTFS surely that's going to
result in more tears when it goes wrong again. Or would i be using Fat32
for another reason? My blood pressure arrrghhh!!!

Nick
September 12, 2005 7:30:10 PM

PQMagic can log errors & inconsistencies but I would opt for Chkdsk
to repair any found. Is the optical on a traditional PATA IDE channel
or did you go for the newer SATA model? When you say fully updated
did you update the RAID drivers after setup ?, Also is your new PC
an AMD/VIA chipset system ?

"Nick" <a@a.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
>> Most Motherboard chipset derived SATA controllers are seen by
>> XP without the use of the Diskette. The BIOS takes care of the
>> handling of the drives.
>
> Unfortunately mine isn't picked up by XP setup, I'm using XP Pro with
> Service Pack 2 integrated. I heard tale of SATA versions but can't see
> any on MSDN subscriptions.
>
>> Over the weekend I built up a XP-64 PC w/
>> a similar setup (Abit A8V). Your description sound more like a
>> defective hard drive or an inability to read your Optical device to
>> install XP.
>
> Well, if that is the case it doesn't make sense how it went wrong in
> the first place. I left the pc on over night working perfectly, XP all
> updated and everything running fine. Then at some point during the night
> it decided to go into this loop. If the hard drive is defective then
> Partition Magic should inform me surely? I'm hoping the Optical drive is
> okay as it is brand new :-( Hmmmm!!!
>
>> You are correct that the RAID function in BIOS should
>> be disabled. I would carefully go through the BIOS and ensure
>> that all Mass Storage settings are correct.
>
> I've just tried setting up a RAID configuration with 1 drive and
> plugging the drive into PRI_SATA. The array is created, and partition
> magic picks up the drive fine, but Windows setup doesnt! Even with the
> Promise or VIA drivers being loaded with F6! This is thoroughly
> frustrating.
>
>> If necessary create your
>> system partition as FAT32. Boot to a DOS floppy with CD-ROM
>> support - copy the I386 folder to the FAT32 partition. Then invoke
>> the XP setup via WinNT.Exe. After XP is running convert the drive
>> to NTFS. Copying the folder will verify the contents are readable.
>
> But if setup succeeds on Fat32 but fails on NTFS surely that's going to
> result in more tears when it goes wrong again. Or would i be using Fat32
> for another reason? My blood pressure arrrghhh!!!
>
> Nick

September 12, 2005 7:59:19 PM

Hi there,

> PQMagic can log errors & inconsistencies but I would opt for Chkdsk
> to repair any found.

Okay I tried Chkdsk but it crashed on 72% and just sat there. I didn't
bother trying again as it's so time consuming to get to that point,
repetative too.

> Is the optical on a traditional PATA IDE channel
> or did you go for the newer SATA model?

Yup, traditional PATA.

> When you say fully updated
> did you update the RAID drivers after setup ?, Also is your new PC
> an AMD/VIA chipset system ?

I think what *might* have happened was the Promise Raid controller got
enabled after it failed to overclock (the mothereboard has an automatic
overclocking feature). When this happened I accidently reverted the
settings to their default. Although Windows was running when I left it
overnight. I'm going to try another optical drive in it and see what
happens...

Nick.
September 12, 2005 8:49:39 PM

Right I managed to successfully copy the I386 folder to my hard drive on
another system, so the disk must be fine. So I tried another drive in the
computer and setup failed on "kbduser.dll" again. So could that only leave
the hard drive to be at fault?

Nick.

"Nick" <a@a.com> wrote in message
news:o jOLSq6tFHA.2952@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Hi there,
>
>> PQMagic can log errors & inconsistencies but I would opt for Chkdsk
>> to repair any found.
>
> Okay I tried Chkdsk but it crashed on 72% and just sat there. I didn't
> bother trying again as it's so time consuming to get to that point,
> repetative too.
>
>> Is the optical on a traditional PATA IDE channel
>> or did you go for the newer SATA model?
>
> Yup, traditional PATA.
>
>> When you say fully updated
>> did you update the RAID drivers after setup ?, Also is your new PC
>> an AMD/VIA chipset system ?
>
> I think what *might* have happened was the Promise Raid controller got
> enabled after it failed to overclock (the mothereboard has an automatic
> overclocking feature). When this happened I accidently reverted the
> settings to their default. Although Windows was running when I left it
> overnight. I'm going to try another optical drive in it and see what
> happens...
>
> Nick.

Anonymous
September 12, 2005 8:49:40 PM

"Nick" <a@a.com> wrote in message
> Right I managed to successfully copy the I386 folder to my hard drive on
> another system, so the disk must be fine. So I tried another drive in the
> computer and setup failed on "kbduser.dll" again. So could that only
> leave the hard drive to be at fault?

Hard drive, CD drive, ram, motherboard, CPU, power supply, could be any of
them, most likely to cause problems copying files during install in the
order listed.

Kerry
September 13, 2005 12:04:16 AM

Hi Kerry,

I have managed to get the drive working on another system, created 3
partitions and run chkdsk on one of them so far. It returned with 46240KB
in bad sectors and problems with the volume bitmap and MFT's bitmap
attributes.

And that's only 1 60gb partition! I'm checking it again and it's taking
ages, and I'll check the other 2 partitions after. Looks like a dodgy hard
drive then :-(

Nick.

> "Nick" <a@a.com> wrote in message
>> Right I managed to successfully copy the I386 folder to my hard drive on
>> another system, so the disk must be fine. So I tried another drive in
>> the computer and setup failed on "kbduser.dll" again. So could that only
>> leave the hard drive to be at fault?
>>

> Hard drive, CD drive, ram, motherboard, CPU, power supply, could be any of
> them, most likely to cause problems copying files during install in the
> order listed.
>
> Kerry

September 13, 2005 12:35:25 AM

Second scan, bad sectors increased and now I'm getting IO errors, I think
the drive just flat lined! :-(

Nick.

"Nick" <a@a.com> wrote in message
news:o cFQMz8tFHA.2964@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Hi Kerry,
>
> I have managed to get the drive working on another system, created 3
> partitions and run chkdsk on one of them so far. It returned with 46240KB
> in bad sectors and problems with the volume bitmap and MFT's bitmap
> attributes.
>
> And that's only 1 60gb partition! I'm checking it again and it's
> taking ages, and I'll check the other 2 partitions after. Looks like a
> dodgy hard drive then :-(
>
> Nick.

>> "Nick" <a@a.com> wrote in message
>>> Right I managed to successfully copy the I386 folder to my hard drive on
>>> another system, so the disk must be fine. So I tried another drive in
>>> the computer and setup failed on "kbduser.dll" again. So could that
>>> only leave the hard drive to be at fault?
>>>

>> Hard drive, CD drive, ram, motherboard, CPU, power supply, could be any
>> of them, most likely to cause problems copying files during install in
>> the order listed.
>>
>> Kerry

Anonymous
September 13, 2005 12:35:26 AM

"Nick" <a@a.com> wrote in message
> Second scan, bad sectors increased and now I'm getting IO errors, I think
> the drive just flat lined! :-(

If any bad sectors show up on a modern hard drive the drive is toast. They
have spare sectors which the drive automatically substitutes for bad sectors
before the OS sees them. If the OS is seeing bad sectors then all the spares
are used. Trash the drive and get a new one.

Kerry
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 12:35:27 AM

Before you "Trash" the drive, I would expend a little more time on
verifying it's integrity. Recently, I worked on a PC that had drive
errors. I dropped in a replacement drive - soon afterward it also
had drive issues that Chkdsk could not resolve. Finally determined
the IDE controllers on the motherboard where bad. Took both
drives to a workbench setup and formatted and 100% tested the
surface, each passed. I would take the drive to another system &
delete all existing partitions from it. Download and run the drive
manufacturer's diagnostics on it. Choose to do a full test, not the
quick variety (Which only spot checks areas of the disk). Only if
the Manufacturer's diagnostics fail would I replace it and in your
case it should have full warranty coverage.

> "Nick" <a@a.com> wrote in message
>> Second scan, bad sectors increased and now I'm getting IO errors, I think
>> the drive just flat lined! :-(
>>

> If any bad sectors show up on a modern hard drive the drive is toast. They
> have spare sectors which the drive automatically substitutes for bad
> sectors before the OS sees them. If the OS is seeing bad sectors then all
> the spares are used. Trash the drive and get a new one.
>
> Kerry

September 13, 2005 12:57:50 AM

Hi Nick.

I had a similar config - and experienced similar problems.

It turned out to be my memory - no idea why memory problems arose during a
mobo upgrade but they did. Memory was (and is) fine in other systems.

Installing SATA in this mobo is a nightmare.

Bobby

"Nick" <a@a.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> Please help! I've got a new x64 system with a 200gb SATA hard drive.
> I'm using 32bit XP Pro. The second day of use and my system started blue
> screen looping (blue screen, crash, reboot, etc etc etc.). It turns out
> that its an issue with the RAID configuration within Windows "apparently".
> Anyway, my only resolve was to attempt to reinstall Windows. This is
> where my problem gets deeper, I needed to obtain the SATA drivers on a
> floppy disk, all good and they worked, except that Windows setup would
> hang when examining the drive. The only way I could resolve this was by
> using Partition Magic rescue disk and removing all partitions and starting
> again.
>
> Now Windows setup starts installing, which is great, except it stops at
> seemingly random points during install with "Setup cannot copy file
> <foo.bar>". I've tried re-burning my image of XP Pro but it still does
> exactly the same thing, if I reformat the parition and try again it stops
> on a different file. Surely my MSDN download isn't corrupt?!?
>
> What is wrong? I have RAID disabled, should I enable it? I have an
> Asus K8V Deluxe. Arrgh! It's so painful trying to install Windows!
>
> --
> Nick Pateman

> Please do not reply directly to me, but the entire newsgroup.
> Any views expressed above are my own
> Without predjudice

Anonymous
September 13, 2005 10:43:02 AM

"R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Before you "Trash" the drive, I would expend a little more time on
> verifying it's integrity. Recently, I worked on a PC that had drive
> errors. I dropped in a replacement drive - soon afterward it also
> had drive issues that Chkdsk could not resolve. Finally determined
> the IDE controllers on the motherboard where bad. Took both
> drives to a workbench setup and formatted and 100% tested the
> surface, each passed. I would take the drive to another system &
> delete all existing partitions from it. Download and run the drive
> manufacturer's diagnostics on it. Choose to do a full test, not the
> quick variety (Which only spot checks areas of the disk). Only if
> the Manufacturer's diagnostics fail would I replace it and in your
> case it should have full warranty coverage.

Guess you missed the post where it has already been confirmed that it
doesn't work in another computer :-) Good point though. I always test drives
in a known good computer before chucking them.

Kerry
September 13, 2005 1:12:00 PM

Hi Bobby,

> Installing SATA in this mobo is a nightmare.

That's the statement of the year! :-)

Nick.
September 13, 2005 1:38:03 PM

Hi there,

> Before you "Trash" the drive, I would expend a little more time on
> verifying it's integrity. Recently, I worked on a PC that had drive
> errors. I dropped in a replacement drive - soon afterward it also
> had drive issues that Chkdsk could not resolve. Finally determined
> the IDE controllers on the motherboard where bad. Took both
> drives to a workbench setup and formatted and 100% tested the
> surface, each passed. I would take the drive to another system &
> delete all existing partitions from it. Download and run the drive
> manufacturer's diagnostics on it. Choose to do a full test, not the
> quick variety (Which only spot checks areas of the disk). Only if
> the Manufacturer's diagnostics fail would I replace it and in your
> case it should have full warranty coverage.

Yup I put it into my old pc which works great, the drive worked to start
with and after the second chkdsk it gave up and stopped working altogether.
The number of bad sectors also increased the second scan. I think it is
well and truely mashed :-(

Nick.
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 1:59:03 PM

Missing the point is very, very common as I get older :) ,

I seem to know less and assume a lot more. Because Technology
changes so fast, I'm hoping that trying to keep up with it will make
what neurons I have, fire a while longer. Every time I have a beer,
I wonder what engineering Info/Data is being overwritten with a
"Blank Space". Getting older is somewhat like BIOS, you start
out Optimized, by middle age you're back to Default values and
then after that you revert to "Failsafe" settings.

> "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>> Before you "Trash" the drive, I would expend a little more time on
>> verifying it's integrity. Recently, I worked on a PC that had drive
>> errors. I dropped in a replacement drive - soon afterward it also
>> had drive issues that Chkdsk could not resolve. Finally determined
>> the IDE controllers on the motherboard where bad. Took both
>> drives to a workbench setup and formatted and 100% tested the
>> surface, each passed. I would take the drive to another system &
>> delete all existing partitions from it. Download and run the drive
>> manufacturer's diagnostics on it. Choose to do a full test, not the
>> quick variety (Which only spot checks areas of the disk). Only if
>> the Manufacturer's diagnostics fail would I replace it and in your
>> case it should have full warranty coverage.
>>

> Guess you missed the post where it has already been confirmed that it
> doesn't work in another computer :-) Good point though. I always test
> drives in a known good computer before chucking them.
>
> Kerry

Anonymous
September 13, 2005 8:19:45 PM

"R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:o uXEOtGuFHA.2948@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Missing the point is very, very common as I get older :) ,
>
> I seem to know less and assume a lot more. Because Technology
> changes so fast, I'm hoping that trying to keep up with it will make
> what neurons I have, fire a while longer. Every time I have a beer,
> I wonder what engineering Info/Data is being overwritten with a
> "Blank Space". Getting older is somewhat like BIOS, you start
> out Optimized, by middle age you're back to Default values and
> then after that you revert to "Failsafe" settings.

I'd rather compare myself to a well used car than a computer. If the
maintenance is done even a vintage model will keep up to the new ones. They
don't get obsolete, just takes more work to keep them running as they get
older.

Kerry
September 13, 2005 8:32:58 PM

Hi,

> Missing the point is very, very common as I get older :) ,

Twas an easy mistake :-)

> I seem to know less and assume a lot more. Because Technology
> changes so fast, I'm hoping that trying to keep up with it will make
> what neurons I have, fire a while longer. Every time I have a beer,
> I wonder what engineering Info/Data is being overwritten with a
> "Blank Space". Getting older is somewhat like BIOS, you start
> out Optimized, by middle age you're back to Default values and
> then after that you revert to "Failsafe" settings.

Noooo! You can't blame the beer, beer is your friend, it doesn't
overwrite brain cells if just makes you not give a cr*p about them anymore!
:-D

Well I hope you dont start waking up in Safe mode every morning :-(

Nick.
!