mb

I have a Dell Dim 2400 (P4). I also have a 6-year old Gateway (P3). It has a
working USB port. I would like some easy way to back up files from my Dell,
that I can use with my Gateway.

I have been using Intellimover. That works fine, but wouldn't a flash memory
device (say 256 meg with a USB connection) work easier?

I have never used flash memory, so if it would work with my older Gateway, I
have some questions: Is there any specific brand (if so, what would be the
cost and should I just look for it on EBAY)? Also, does it act just like an
extra drive (say like E: drive) that I can access via Explorer or the
command prompt?

I always appreciate the help I get on this newsgroup. I know people bitch
about Dell Tech Support. I haven't used them. I think this group is a
tremendous resource!

Mel

mb

One addition: My Gateway uses W98; the Dell us XP Home.

Mel
"MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
> I have a Dell Dim 2400 (P4). I also have a 6-year old Gateway (P3). It has
> working USB port. I would like some easy way to back up files from my
Dell,
> that I can use with my Gateway.
>
> I have been using Intellimover. That works fine, but wouldn't a flash
memory
> device (say 256 meg with a USB connection) work easier?
>
> I have never used flash memory, so if it would work with my older Gateway,
> have some questions: Is there any specific brand (if so, what would be
the
> cost and should I just look for it on EBAY)? Also, does it act just like
an
> extra drive (say like E: drive) that I can access via Explorer or the
> command prompt?
>

> I always appreciate the help I get on this newsgroup. I know people bitch
> about Dell Tech Support. I haven't used them. I think this group is a
> tremendous resource!
>
> Mel

> I have a Dell Dim 2400 (P4). I also have a 6-year old Gateway (P3). It has a
> working USB port. I would like some easy way to back up files from my Dell,
> that I can use with my Gateway.

Depending on which version of win98 you have, you *may* have problems
with USB devices.

The cheaper and probably easier method might be to pick up a cheap
network card and a crossover cable and simply link them together !

SanDisk is the leading manufacturer of flash memory cards of all shapes and
sizes. Compact flash works nicely and USB reader/writer devices are cheap and
easy. But I concur that a 10/100 crossover cable works best. If the Gateway
does not have a network card, get and install one. They, too, are cheap and
easy... Ben Myers

"MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> writes:
> I have a Dell Dim 2400 (P4). I also have a 6-year old Gateway (P3). It has a
> working USB port. I would like some easy way to back up files from my Dell,
> that I can use with my Gateway.
>
> I have been using Intellimover. That works fine, but wouldn't a flash memory
> device (say 256 meg with a USB connection) work easier?
>
> I have never used flash memory, so if it would work with my older Gateway, I
> have some questions: Is there any specific brand (if so, what would be the
> cost and should I just look for it on EBAY)? Also, does it act just like an
> extra drive (say like E: drive) that I can access via Explorer or the
> command prompt?

I can't speak for the Gateway W98, but for a Dell with XP, the USB
Flash just looks like a disk drive. Drag n' drop from Explorer works
fine.

I doubt there's much difference between brands. With sales and
rebates, I doubt you'll save much on Ebay. Circuit City has 128 mbyte
Kingston for $20.

One difference is that a USB 2.0 drive will be faster and slightly
more expensive than a USB 1.?. I didn't care, but if you're moving
gbytes, you might.