upgrade from 1700xp

tkyn

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2004
Hi all, first time poster, so be gentle...

I currently have an MSI KT266a Pro2 MB with an AMD 1700xp processor. I'm trying to figure out what the best upgrade option is for the processor, and want to make sure I buy the right thing too. I don't really want to overclock anything, and I'd like to just use the stock heatsink/fan too. So I have a few questions, I appreciate your time and answers.

1. Will my MB support a "barton core" processor?
2. Will my MB support a "MP" processor?
3. Will my MB support a mobile processor?
4. What is the fastest processor I can buy for my MB?

spak_man

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2003
No your board wont support Barton processors. The highest CPU you can put in there is the 2400+ (unless im mistaken and there are Athlon XPs with a 266 FSB higher than that)
as for the MPs and Mobile Processors, I dont think so but im not 100% sure

here is where I got my info from (MSI's website)

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=320

-Spak_Man
"All your pants are belong to me"

---------------------------
MSI-K7n2 Delta-L
Athlon 2600+
512meg 400mhz ddr Ram(2x256 dual Chanel)
MSI Geforce FX 5700 128
---------------------------

Snorkius

Splendid
Sep 16, 2003
You can buy a really good nforce2 board for real cheap nowadays, the Nf7 for example (70.99 on newegg.com). A good quality MB is more important than most things in a computer, more important then the CPU surely, and yours is not exactly what I would call good quality.

A long long time ago, but I can still remember, how that music used to make me smile... <A HREF="http://www.nexus.hu/zonix/DIGGER.MID" target="_new"><b><font color=blue>Digger rulz</font color=blue></b></A>

tkyn

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2004
I'm confused. I've got a computer that I've been using for a couple of years, that works great. I know the motherboard will support a higher speed processor, and the prices are a lot lower on the the processors than when I originally bought it. I thought I could just buy a newer faster processor, and swap it out on my motherboard, and the computer would then run faster with a minimum of added investment. Why do I need to get a new motherboard now?

Are MSI motherboards truly that bad? Would swapping out the existing motherboard with an nforce board while keeping the same processor make the system run faster? Would it be as much of an increase in performance as just upgrading the processor on the existing motherboard?

hogfather

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2003
I believe there was a 2600 made with 266fsb, but its impossible to find these days. I would go with buying a 2400, not a new board. While its true a high quality board is best, I think a 2400 on the msi will be a lot faster than an 1700 on the other one.

That said, I'm not sure upgrading from one athlon xp to another will give you a big increase.

XP2000, 256ddr 2100ram, GF4 MX440, XP Pro

DeEvolution

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2004
but its impossible to find these days
Go to <A HREF="http://www.pricewatch.com" target="_new">Pricewatch</A> and type in "cpu 2.133" (without the quotes). Impossible? Try not even difficult. :smile:

That said, I'm not sure upgrading from one athlon xp to another will give you a big increase.
A 500MHz upgrade should be at least noticable. You are probably right in that it would not be "big" though.

"Sad is the elephant upon the ice who went to put on his wooly coat only to realize that he left it in his other trunk." - DeEvolution