CD-ROM Revving Up and Down in Speed

I have a Dimension 4550 with a CD-RW drive. I leave my back-up disc in the
drive and write important files to it about 3 times a week. Lately I've noticed
that the CD-ROM will rev up and down in speed, almost as if it is hesitating to
get to full speed. This happens upon computer start up and also when I'm
writing to the CD. Is this a hardware problem with the drive or is my disc
difficult to read and is about to become toast?

--
"When you argue with a fool be sure he is not similarly occupied."

See how the pros get their power!
http://www.powrwrap.com/press.htm

> I have a Dimension 4550 with a CD-RW drive. I leave my back-up disc in the
> drive and write important files to it about 3 times a week. Lately I've noticed
> that the CD-ROM will rev up and down in speed, almost as if it is hesitating to
> get to full speed. This happens upon computer start up and also when I'm
> writing to the CD. Is this a hardware problem with the drive or is my disc
> difficult to read and is about to become toast?

For the cost of a blank CDR, i`d reburn it asap !

>Colin Wilson void@btinternet.com

>> I have a Dimension 4550 with a CD-RW drive. I leave my back-up disc in the
>> drive and write important files to it about 3 times a week. Lately I've
>noticed
>> that the CD-ROM will rev up and down in speed, almost as if it is
>hesitating to
>> get to full speed. This happens upon computer start up and also when I'm
>> writing to the CD. Is this a hardware problem with the drive or is my disc
>> difficult to read and is about to become toast?

>For the cost of a blank CDR, i`d reburn it asap !

So you think it is the disc? What causes this?

--
"When you argue with a fool be sure he is not similarly occupied."

See how the pros get their power!
http://www.powrwrap.com/press.htm

I have a 2400 with a CD drive that does the same thing and always has. I
suspect it is just part of the drive design (obviously). It is a bit of an
annoyance but does not seem to affect the performance. FWIW the drive is a
Samsung.

Regards,
John O.

"Alan S. Wales" <powrwrap@aol.compost> wrote in message
> >Colin Wilson void@btinternet.com
>
>>> I have a Dimension 4550 with a CD-RW drive. I leave my back-up disc in
>>> the
>>> drive and write important files to it about 3 times a week. Lately I've
>>noticed
>>> that the CD-ROM will rev up and down in speed, almost as if it is
>>hesitating to
>>> get to full speed. This happens upon computer start up and also when I'm
>>> writing to the CD. Is this a hardware problem with the drive or is my
>>> disc
>>> difficult to read and is about to become toast?
>
>>For the cost of a blank CDR, i`d reburn it asap !
>
> So you think it is the disc? What causes this?
>

> --
> "When you argue with a fool be sure he is not similarly occupied."
>
> See how the pros get their power!
> http://www.powrwrap.com/press.htm

> >For the cost of a blank CDR, i`d reburn it asap !
> So you think it is the disc? What causes this?

It *may* be the disc, but if you have backup data you don`t want to lose,
i`d reburn it asap (as I said before) - better to be safe than sorry.

Do you overwrite the disc, or just add extra sessions to it ? (i.e. are
you using CDRs or CDRWs ?)

CDRWs can be a little more sensitive than CDRs, so a "weaker" burn done
at a higher speed might make it a little more difficult to read - that
can cause a drive to speed up and slow down as it makes multiple passes
trying to read the data. If you have multiple sessions on there, it may
also be seeking the new indexes, but i`m no expert on the index methods
used for multiple writes to the same CD.

If its important backup data, I would also be tempted to burn at a slower
speed (I only tend to use 12x-16x despite having a drive capable of 52x)
to ensure maximum compatibility across different hardware.

You may have found yourself that an audio CD burned at a higher speed
will simply refuse to play on "standard" audio equipment, whereas a
slower burn will almost always work (I haven`t had one fail to read yet
when burned at 12x).

>Colin Wilson void@btinternet.com

>Do you overwrite the disc, or just add extra sessions to it ? (i.e. are
>you using CDRs or CDRWs ?)

I'm using CD-R's. I backup my customer database (same file name) and cash flow
spreadsheet (same file name) along with my accounting software's data files
(different file name).

<snip good info regarding recording at slower speeds>

Thanks for the information.