Microsoft Anti spyware found malware: IBIS Toolbar

Subject: Microsoft Anti spyware found malware: IBIS Toolbar

I have XP Home and Microsoft Anti spyware found some malware (IBIS Toolbar) that was removed but on rescans, it shows up again, but now located in the restore points. I believe that I have to turn off System Restore and reboot and then turn restore back on and do a new restore point. Please advise. Thanks.
10 answers Last reply
More about microsoft anti spyware found malware ibis toolbar

    Yes, that is correct Turn off system restore then Download, install, update
    and run all of the following.

    Ad-Aware
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/aawsepersonal.exe

    Spybot search and destroy
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/spybotsd14.exe

    Ewido Security Suite Trial version

    a copy of the log file and cut and paste it back here to this group so that
    I can analyze it. Ignore anyone especially the troll Leythos, who will tag
    along a nonsense post to this message, who tells you to post it elsewhere. I
    need to see it not them.

    HijackThis

    The authors of the above programs, with the exception of Microsoft has given
    the owner of pcbutts1.com express written permission to redistribute their
    software.

    "NewBaol" <NewBaol@SupportX.com> wrote in message
    > Subject: Microsoft Anti spyware found malware: IBIS Toolbar
    >
    > I have XP Home and Microsoft Anti spyware found some malware (IBIS
    > Toolbar) that was removed but on rescans, it shows up again, but now
    > located in the restore points. I believe that I have to turn off System
    > Restore and reboot and then turn restore back on and do a new restore
    > point. Please advise. Thanks.

    "NewBaol" <NewBaol@SupportX.com> wrote in message
    > Subject: Microsoft Anti spyware found malware: IBIS Toolbar
    >
    > I have XP Home and Microsoft Anti spyware found some malware (IBIS Toolbar)
    that was removed but on rescans, it shows up again, but now located in the
    restore points. I believe that I have to turn off System Restore and reboot and
    then turn restore back on and do a new restore point. Please advise. Thanks.

    > Any restore points that were created after the removal of the malware should
    not contain the malware. If it should be necessary to restore a point that
    contains it, simply run the malware removal tool after the restore. That should
    work. Dick M.

    NewBaol wrote:
    > Subject: Microsoft Anti spyware found malware: IBIS Toolbar
    >
    > I have XP Home and Microsoft Anti spyware found some malware (IBIS
    > Toolbar) that was removed but on rescans, it shows up again, but now
    > located in the restore points. I believe that I have to turn off
    > System Restore and reboot and then turn restore back on and do a new
    > restore point. Please advise. Thanks.

    re: "shows upon rescans"

    Immediate rescans?

    Immediate rescans after reboot?

    Or rescans some days later?

    Hi all...

    A collegue and I got notification this morning from MSAS that I have a "High
    Threat Level" with the "IBIS Toolbar (Adware)". The problem file is
    "C:\Windows\unvise32qt.exe".

    I believe that this is a False Positive. I ran the usual gambit of tools
    and I come up clean. I checked the IE 6.0 "Manage Add-Ons" and IBIS Toolbar
    is not listed.

    I never got this hit until the new defs dated 09/10/2005 (Spyware Definition
    Version: 5753 (9/10/2005 8:26:51 AM)

    I also got this same IBIS Toolbar Notification on my home PC. Again I ran
    the usual gambit of "Spyware tools" and came up clean.

    I am a "HijackThis" advisor on a few forums and know how to analyze a
    HijackThis log. Both my home PC and my work PC logs come up clean.

    Could this be a False Positive???

    Thanks,

    Kent

    "NewBaol" wrote:

    > Subject: Microsoft Anti spyware found malware: IBIS Toolbar
    >
    > I have XP Home and Microsoft Anti spyware found some malware (IBIS Toolbar) that was removed but on rescans, it shows up again, but now located in the restore points. I believe that I have to turn off System Restore and reboot and then turn restore back on and do a new restore point. Please advise. Thanks.

    I answered my own question of the FP. A couple threads down, the
    "unvise32qt.exe may not be spyware" thread mention that it is indeed a FP.

    Thanks,

    "Kent" wrote:

    > Hi all...
    >
    > A collegue and I got notification this morning from MSAS that I have a "High
    > Threat Level" with the "IBIS Toolbar (Adware)". The problem file is
    > "C:\Windows\unvise32qt.exe".
    >
    > I believe that this is a False Positive. I ran the usual gambit of tools
    > and I come up clean. I checked the IE 6.0 "Manage Add-Ons" and IBIS Toolbar
    > is not listed.
    >
    > I never got this hit until the new defs dated 09/10/2005 (Spyware Definition
    > Version: 5753 (9/10/2005 8:26:51 AM)
    >
    > I also got this same IBIS Toolbar Notification on my home PC. Again I ran
    > the usual gambit of "Spyware tools" and came up clean.
    >
    > I am a "HijackThis" advisor on a few forums and know how to analyze a
    > HijackThis log. Both my home PC and my work PC logs come up clean.
    >
    > Could this be a False Positive???
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Kent
    >
    > "NewBaol" wrote:
    >
    > > Subject: Microsoft Anti spyware found malware: IBIS Toolbar
    > >
    > > I have XP Home and Microsoft Anti spyware found some malware (IBIS Toolbar) that was removed but on rescans, it shows up again, but now located in the restore points. I believe that I have to turn off System Restore and reboot and then turn restore back on and do a new restore point. Please advise. Thanks.

    If it identifies C:\Windows\unvise32qt.exe as IBIS Toolbar, it's a
    False/Positive. UNVISE32QT.EXE is a legit QuickTime uninstaller.

    Microsoft has established separate newsgroups for the Microsoft Windows
    AntiSpyware Beta. Please post your query to:

    http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=spyware&sLCID=us

    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

    NewBaol wrote:
    > Subject: Microsoft Anti spyware found malware: IBIS Toolbar
    >
    > I have XP Home and Microsoft Anti spyware found some malware (IBIS
    > Toolbar) that was removed but on rescans, it shows up again, but now
    > located in the restore points. I believe that I have to turn off System
    > Restore and reboot and then turn restore back on and do a new restore
    > point. Please advise. Thanks.

    It come up on a new scan after reboot, and every night when MS Antispyware runs automatically at 3 AM. The IBIS Toolbar ihas been removed from the computer but it's still is the Windows restore files.

    NewBaol wrote:
    > It come up on a new scan after reboot, and every night when MS
    > Antispyware runs automatically at 3 AM. The IBIS Toolbar ihas been
    > removed from the computer but it's still is the Windows restore
    > files.

    If it's only showing up in the restore files, you can either delete the
    files manually (delete only the infected ones) or (this will wipe your
    entire restore tree) disable restore, reboot, enable restore and reboot
    again.

    On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 18:14:54 -0400, "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >If it identifies C:\Windows\unvise32qt.exe as IBIS Toolbar, it's a
    >False/Positive. UNVISE32QT.EXE is a legit QuickTime uninstaller.

    snip

    UNVISE32QT.EXE is a legit QuickTime uninstaller

    Ha! so its actually a spyware uninstaller then?

    8-)

    Jonah

    QuickTime is not spyware.
    It is a legitimate player for QuickTime video files.
    http://www.apple.com/quicktime/win.html
    --
    A Professional Amateur...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
    "jonah" <jonah@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 18:14:54 -0400, "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>If it identifies C:\Windows\unvise32qt.exe as IBIS Toolbar, it's a
    >>False/Positive. UNVISE32QT.EXE is a legit QuickTime uninstaller.
    >>
    > snip
    >
    > UNVISE32QT.EXE is a legit QuickTime uninstaller
    >
    > Ha! so its actually a spyware uninstaller then?
    >
    > 8-)
    >
    > Jonah

Malware Microsoft Anti Spyware Windows XP