comment that comes up on computer when I turn it on

I have the following comment come up when I turn my computer on and it just
started doing this about 3 weeks ago: The application or DLL
C:\Windows|dsr.dll is not a valid windows image. Please check this against
your installation diskette.
What does this mean? And, what do I do?
I am a real novice so I need answers in clear straightforward non-technical
form please.
Thank you

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

scubacat wrote:

> I have the following comment come up when I turn my computer on and it just
> started doing this about 3 weeks ago: The application or DLL
> C:\Windows|dsr.dll is not a valid windows image. Please check this against
> your installation diskette.
> What does this mean? And, what do I do?
> I am a real novice so I need answers in clear straightforward non-technical
> form please.
> Thank you

Please don't post HijackThis logs here. If the other programs don't
remove the pest and you need to run HJT, post the log to one of the
specialty forums for it.

Forums to Interpret HijackThis Logs:

http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Download, install, update and run all of the following.

Ad-Aware
http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/aawsepersonal.exe

Spybot search and destroy
http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/spybotsd14.exe

Ewido Security Suite Trial version

Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta1)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=321CD7A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en

a copy of the log file and cut and paste it back here to this group so that
I can analyze it. Ignore anyone especially the troll Leythos, who will tag
along a nonsense post to this message, who tells you to post it elsewhere. I
need to see it not them.

HijackThis

The authors of the above programs, with the exception of Microsoft has given
the owner of pcbutts1.com express written permission to redistribute their
software.

"scubacat" <scubacat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have the following comment come up when I turn my computer on and it just
> started doing this about 3 weeks ago: The application or DLL
> C:\Windows|dsr.dll is not a valid windows image. Please check this
> against
> your installation diskette.
> What does this mean? And, what do I do?
> I am a real novice so I need answers in clear straightforward
> non-technical
> form please.
> Thank you

Nightowl

Distinguished
May 17, 2001

scubacat <scubacat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote on Mon, 12 Sep 2005:

>I have the following comment come up when I turn my computer on and it just
>started doing this about 3 weeks ago: The application or DLL
>C:\Windows|dsr.dll is not a valid windows image. Please check this against
>your installation diskette.
>What does this mean? And, what do I do?
>I am a real novice so I need answers in clear straightforward non-technical
>form please.
>Thank you

Hi scubacat

I'm afraid dsr.sll is a nasty, Adware.ZQuest.

Go here for instructions on how to remove it:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/adware.zquest.html

Just work through the steps methodically one by one. If there's anything
you don't understand, please do ask.

You will also need a good anti-virus program. If you don't have one
already, two good free ones are:

AVG
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

Avast!

Also if you can, get programs that search out adware, spyware and other
kinds of malware. These are excellent and free:

Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

Spybot Search and Destroy
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/home/index.html