Certain keys nt wrking n keybard.

missingkeys

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
Hi. These keys are working on my keyboard: f, x, o, p and the , and ) key (I typed them using on-screen keyboard).

I was eating soup and spilled it on my Microsoft natural keyboard and I was getting sticky keys, you know how you type one key and you get like two or three? So I opened it up and cleaned the sticky soup off it. I pulled the three plastic circuit apart and cleaned them throughly with a good quality alcohol.

The problem is, now a few of those keys aren't working.

What should I do? The middle film has no electric circuits on it. Maybe I shuld ditch it t get more contact between the circuits?

Thanks

Solution
i did that once when repairing my previous model m keyboard. it worked for awhile (until i cleaned it again!) but occasionally skipped keys off and on. its a cheap fix, and as such doesnt always work.

you can try such a fix but the best fix is copper circuit tape or similar. do not even think about trying to use solder! looking at the price of such tape a new keyboard might be the cheaper route if the pencil fix doesnt work.
the middle film acts as a barrier between the top and bottom sheets so they don't contact eachother. i believe it is required to have this sheet in place for the keyboard to work. if it wasn't needed it wouldn't have been provided.

it sounds like you either
a) put a hairline scratch through a few circuites (will cause dead keys)
b) have the sheet misaligned somehow, or assembled wrong
c) have something blocking the key from bottoming out on the circuit board

i know from experience, it doesnt take much of a scratch to cause dead keys!

i did that once when repairing my previous model m keyboard. it worked for awhile (until i cleaned it again!) but occasionally skipped keys off and on. its a cheap fix, and as such doesnt always work.

you can try such a fix but the best fix is copper circuit tape or similar. do not even think about trying to use solder! looking at the price of such tape a new keyboard might be the cheaper route if the pencil fix doesnt work.

Solution

missingkeys

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011

Thanks for the info. Flat broke at the moment and behind on my mortgage so that might have to wait. Anyway, I've master typing with my left hand on my keyboard and right hand on mouse to fill in the missing letters. LOL