Best Converter Setup for Wii/PS2/Xbox 360/PS3 > Asus 242H?

Waterfiend33

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
I'm trying to get my consoles connected to my monitor instead of my 37" TV (trying to consolidate room in anticipation of moving into a smaller house). I want to bypass my computer (don't want to hear fans whirring when I play games or to waste electricity) and connect them directly to my monitor and speakers...

I was thinking of using the following setup to get my consoles (Wii and PS2 via component, Xbox 360 and PS3 via HDMI) connected to my ASUS 242H monitor and 3.5mm speakers. Is this a good setup, or is there something better?

PS3 > HDMI 3-In-1-Out
Xbox 360 > HDMI 3-In-1-Out > Monitor > SPDIF Out > SPDIF to 3.5mm Converter > Speakers

PS2 > Component 2-In-1-Out
Wii > Component 2-In-1-Out > Component to VGA Converter > Monitor

PS2 Sound > LR to 3.5mm Converter > 3.5mm 2-in-1-Out
Wii Sound > LR to 3.5mm Converter > 3.5mm 2-in-1-Out > Speakers

I'd probably throw in an extra 3.5mm splitter so I can switch from the Wii/PS2 audio coming from the consoles and the Xbox 360/PS3 audio coming out from the monitor.

All this sets me back about $117. Not bad, I think. I'm a bit concerned about signal degradation with all those switches... Any better ideas?

Solution
first things first..
if you want to play the ps3 on the lcd monitor make sure it is HDCP compliant or you might not get any signal.

for $117 you could buy a cheaper a/v unit which could switch between everything with ease. The only downside is that you'd have to get home theatre speakers. in the end you might spend a bit more money but you could have everything you own connected and switch between them at will (even with multiple systems running!).

Granted, I spent quite a bit more than your budget but I currently have my PC & PS3 hooked up to the tv & 5.1 theatre speakers via such a box. To switch all you have to do is turn a knob. A much easier (if more expensive) option to consider.

Why convert from the monitor's SPDIF output to 3.5mm? It has a 3.5mm earphone jack, so couldn't you use that? As far as signal degradation, that depends a bit on the quality of the switches and whether they're separately powered, so perhaps you could provide links to the switches and converters you're planning to buy.

first things first..
if you want to play the ps3 on the lcd monitor make sure it is HDCP compliant or you might not get any signal.

for $117 you could buy a cheaper a/v unit which could switch between everything with ease. The only downside is that you'd have to get home theatre speakers. in the end you might spend a bit more money but you could have everything you own connected and switch between them at will (even with multiple systems running!).

Granted, I spent quite a bit more than your budget but I currently have my PC & PS3 hooked up to the tv & 5.1 theatre speakers via such a box. To switch all you have to do is turn a knob. A much easier (if more expensive) option to consider.

Solution

Waterfiend33

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010

Thanks. Out of curiosity, which A/V unit do you recommend for what I'm trying to do? I did look around but couldn't find a switch with two HDMI and two component connections for around my budget... Also I checked and my monitor is HDCP compliant, so that's good... A decent 5.1 system is probably beyond my budget or desk space, unfortunately, but it's good to keep in mind...