Sign in with
Your question

Omid needs to apologize to AMD users

Last response: in CPUs
February 20, 2004 5:16:28 PM

Check it out front page stuff

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.
February 20, 2004 6:52:52 PM

damn another one.

wpdclan.com cs game server - 69.12.5.119:27015
now featuring (optional) cheating death!
February 20, 2004 7:03:32 PM

I registered on this forum just to make this post.

The column by Bruce Gain, "Intel's 64 bit Lye" (sic) was so badly written and chocked full of innacuracies in its original form, it makes me cringe. The version you see now is updated. The original included such choice bits as:

"In fact, many failed to note the context in which Intel announced this week the availability of its 64-bit extensions for its x86 Itanium server platforms."

x86? Itanium? What?

"Second, Intel has sold 64-bit (non x86) processors for years, it has been a failure"

Itanium 2 is flourishing where it was meant to flourish - big iron. It wasn't meant to host mom & pop's web server. Some numbers: http://www.tpc.org/tpcc/results/tpcc_perf_results.asp

"Absent, of course, was the fact that 64-bit Windows has long supported AMD's 64-bit Opteron and Athlon64."

Really? I was under the impression that Windows for x86-64/IA32e was just released a week ago, and it was the Itanium version that's been out for years.

~Berj
Related resources
February 20, 2004 7:56:35 PM

What the heck ? Sheesh, I guess this makes it allright; have one delirious anti AMD flamebait article followed by another pretty worthless pro AMD "kiss-and-make-up column".. I'm not sure which of both i find worse :rolleyes:

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =
February 20, 2004 8:02:30 PM

Quote:
Itanium 2 is flourishing where it was meant to flourish - big iron. It wasn't meant to host mom & pop's web server. Some numbers: http://www.tpc.org/tpcc/results/tpcc_perf_results.asp

This may be true...but how much money has intel really made off the itanium? My guess would be less than they have put into R&D and other production costs...

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a processor
110% BX fanboy
February 20, 2004 8:13:06 PM

Haha P3, I used to have a 440BX chip hanging off my keychain, off a busted motherboard.

That's true about Intel & Itanium but I strongly believe Intel is VERY far-sighted. They never intended for Itanium to drop into the server or PC market, considering it's a new design from the ground up with the only backwards compatability through emulation. I'll be surprised if IA64 doesn't start gaining momentum by 2006.

~Berj
February 20, 2004 8:34:49 PM

Useless article.

Bruce Gain clairified nothing. Almost everybody was well informed about Intel and AMD64 stuff before Omid wrote his delusional garbage and Bruce wrote his remedy article.

And I highly doubt there's a word called "Apology" in Omid's dictionary.

----------------
Please vote in this poll: <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?na..." target="_new">Should Tom Fire Omid?</A>
February 20, 2004 8:35:33 PM

heh...i should make some keychains...i got 3 busted bx boards and 2 815e's...and now im broke lol...

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a processor
110% BX fanboy
February 20, 2004 8:53:17 PM

Re: And I highly doubt there's a word called "Apology" in Omid's dictionary.

Yeah IMHO he's not the kinda man to admit he was wrong or apologize. He's been posting flamebait for quite a while now I doubt anything is going to change.

If thg want someone posting extream opinions then also use a cloumnist who is just as extreame on the other side of the spectrum.

Personally I'd like to see it kept profesional so keep the extreamists away but if for marketing terms the site feels it needs controversy then do as newspapers do and use a columists showing the flip side as well. How hard could that be?

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.
February 20, 2004 8:54:47 PM

"However, AMD is only continuing to operate as it has successfully done for years and years, a strategy that has made it a largely profitable company..."
From AMD's site:

2003 Annual GAAP Financial Position Overview
Revenue: $3.519 billion
Net loss: $274 million
Net loss per share: $0.79

Now I know you don't mean 2002 (even worse if I recall?). Nope, lost money in 2001 as well. I am glad I don't make as much as they do!!!

"...while maintaining a steady and consistent market share"

Umm...2001 Intel held 78.7% of the microprocessor market and AMD held 20.2%, in Q4 2003 Intel held 82.8% and AMD held 15.5%. That does not appear steady and consistant.

Seems ironic that the author referenced Clinton's assault on the truth while practicing the same eloquence.
February 20, 2004 9:10:50 PM

I see your point but now that it’s clear AMD is making a superior product maybe things can now improve a little for them.

This would be a good thing right?? because we know Intel is here to stay.

Time will tell

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart. <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by darko21 on 02/20/04 06:13 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
February 20, 2004 9:56:50 PM

> because we know Intel is here to stay.

Same thing has once been said about 3Dfx, IBM (in the PC market), Bull, SGI, DEC, ... most of those companies still live, but are only a relic of the mighty near monopolists they once where in their respective markets, and have been forced to abandon their former strongholds and reinvent themselves as a also run in other markets.

Sure intel is not going anyware anytime soon, but its almost a given they won't hold their cpu market supremacy indefinately. Wether it will take 5 or 50 years is anyone's guess; but it *will* happen, and it could happen faster than you think (not saying I necessarely believe it will, but its more possible than you'd think).

For a few diversification idea's where current megacorps might be heading check this out:
<A HREF="http://www.theintelstore.com/xtreme_product_display.asp..." target="_new">intel's plan B </A>
<A HREF="http://www.e-sunware.com/ptistore/control/product?prod_..." target="_new"> Sun's future core market ? </A>

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =
February 20, 2004 10:22:38 PM

Spitfire, you just chop off the motherboard controller chip (440BX = a single chip, no north/south bridge), file off the pins, round the edges and drill a hole in one of the corners to attach a thin chain through =)

~Berj
February 20, 2004 10:24:58 PM

I think you know what I ment.

yes things can change quickly just look at ATI. But Intel is a bigger company with huge name branding and an excellent marketing setup with some coin to boot. So IMHO they are not as vunerable as say Nvidia.

Your right though all companies empires do seem to fall and this is a competitive industry where things can change quickly.

What's the oldest company still going.? Hudsons bay company goes back to the 1600's although not quite as powerful as they once were.

February 20, 2004 10:46:05 PM

Okay, point one, and I only do so in defense of Bruce and Tobias who wrote their articles in response to mine: they did it because, they felt strongly that they had to respond to my column.

Editors have minds of their own, and differ in their opinions.

If you can't see that then, you are all blinded by your own negative attitudes towards THG.

It just seems like you are not happy unless you are ripping into editors.

Furthermore, back off these guys. If you're problem is with me, fine. But the rest of the editors shouldn't be included in the same nastiness.

At least have some courtesy.

Omid
February 20, 2004 10:50:49 PM

You caught me at a bad time I gotta run. but kudos for showing up.

February 21, 2004 12:16:08 AM

If you can't see that then, you are all blinded by your own negative attitudes towards THG.

We are the THGC. What is written in THG reflects on us. When people who are supposed to be professional fail to use spellcheck, or editors refuse to edit, it reflects on us as well.
Many people, including myself, seriously question the bias that has become evident on this site. As you are the managing editor, and this bias reflects your own, I would like to take this oportunity to call you on this. Is THG a site where we can garner true hardware information, or will we continue to see a move to Intel PR status?
a b à CPUs
February 21, 2004 11:42:52 AM

LOL Good one!!!!

You know I have always thought that your job was to throw fuel on the fire.(Flamewars)for the not so bright. And thought you did an excellent job at it.

I find your articles very amusing,and downright funny.
A little poke here,a stab or two there, and the whole time steadily throwing Gasoline(petrol) on the smoldering embers.

I mean it really is funny that every time the Flamewars start to die down,along comes Omid and an inferno happens. I mean a real,can't get too close ,paint blistering flamewar that brings out all of the zealots. From other forums as well.

Oh and Spitfire I find it really anoying that almost every time Omid publishes an OPINION piece article it sends you through the roof. You imediately start your stupid dumb a$$ Fire Omid posts and polls.

But then again I think that this is the primary action Omid WANTED to get out of his articles. So you were baited and fell for it 200%.

These are my opinions,and observences, yours may be different.And that is your right.

I aint signing nothing!!!
February 21, 2004 1:20:37 PM

Quote:
Same thing has once been said about 3Dfx, IBM (in the PC market), Bull, SGI, DEC, ... most of those companies still live, but are only a relic of the mighty near monopolists they once where in their respective markets, and have been forced to abandon their former strongholds and reinvent themselves as a also run in other markets.

Intel will be here as long as U.S. of A. is still america.

Intel will never go out of business, I think it's more likely that Microsoft will go bankrupted. And Omid is right ,and speaking the truth about the AMD fanboys. Don't let finiancial stature dictate or judge a products quality. Just because Intel is expensive and unaffordable, doesnt mean it is a bad product and inferior to AMD.

-------
Intel Pentium 4 2800 MHz
ATI RADEON 9700
Microsoft Windows XP
<A HREF="http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=114823913..." target="_new">29,473 Aquamarks</A>#1 in class!
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Kanavit on 02/21/04 10:21 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
February 21, 2004 4:02:25 PM

Are you retarded? Your own words, not mine (I don't even agree with them): Intel is unaffordable.

Unaffordable product = bad product. I don't care if it's gold. If no one can afford it, it's bad. A F1 racer would be a horrible product. Good car, yes. Good product, NO!

Oh btw, Omids article is not bad because of some percieved slight to AMD. It's bad because it is horrible jouranlism. It has no clear purpose, worse grammar and spelling, enrages a large number of people, etc. etc. Fifth graders write articles like that. A "ooooooh, you're all poo-poo heads cause I rulz" type of article simply has no place on any site. Let alone one so establsihed as this one.

Btw, Omid needs to apologize to all THG <i>readers</i>. AMD has nothing to do with it.

A long long time ago, but I can still remember, how that music used to make me smile... <A HREF="http://www.nexus.hu/zonix/DIGGER.MID" target="_new"><b><font color=blue>Digger rulz</font color=blue></b></A>
February 21, 2004 4:16:58 PM

Snorkus I completely agree. My problem with the article was that it was designed to bait people into an uproar, not to inform. But yes, AMD forces Intel to release product and advance technology sooner, they force prices to drop, and they force product to be available. AMD is the most influential company in technology right now because they can force Intel to compete. You think we would have p4 if AMD did not exist. Intel would be releasing the 586 Extreme Edition right now, holding onto the technology to make more money later. Omid, how about them apples?
February 21, 2004 7:25:16 PM

Perhaps Kanavit your wording was to extreme in nature. Intel counterparts are generally more expensive true. But as of late I have seen AMD's just as high in certain lines.

You should have said Intel products are generally unaffordable to students/unemployed guys living in their parents basements/or limited budget users.

Xeon
February 21, 2004 10:57:49 PM

Re:... Okay, point one, and I only do so in defense of Bruce and Tobias who wrote their articles in response to mine: they did it because, they felt strongly that they had to respond to my column.

Furthermore, back off these guys. If you're problem is with me, fine. But the rest of the editors shouldn't be included in the same nastiness.

At least have some courtesy.

Omid

Well I'm back sorry I had to run away but I to have a life.

First of all I have only criticized you in regards to YOUR column. Omid why do you think other editors are now criticizing your column? I'll tell you why because it's childish unprofessional journalism. Omid you’re entitled to your opinion and to prefer Intel over AMD and write about it. However you went way beyond that. Omid columns like yours are giving THG a joke name throughout the enthusiast community on the Internet not just here in THGC forums.

Re:... What I find amusing is that AMD lovers, fanboys, and owners that dwell in forums, find it very easy to belittle, rant against, and denigrate anyone who uses Intel, yet, try and say anything about them, poke at them, satirize them, and they become these pompous, serious, thin-skinned conformists.

20 minutes ago I first went to the omid editorial thread and started reading from the bottom up (because I had been away for 24 hours) I read your quote above only it had the intel amd reversed. I thought to myself what a stupid comment because a person could say the same in reverse. I kept scrolling up and sure enough it had first been written in reverse by you. Go figure. That statement shows your stupidity and lack of comprehension. I know there are whacks of immature idiot fanboys (both sides) who say stupid things like that, but as an editor you need to be above that sort of drivel.

Re:... Interesting how all you can pick on is one of my columns, knowing that I don't actually care for any hardware vendor because, I have a life, and that expressing my opinion, and having a satirical way, seems to leave you agog.

Omid your column was delusional and you gotta be the biggest least informed (technically) fanboys I have ever seen. you need to stop trying to defend your column and apologize but somehow I don't see you doing that.

February 23, 2004 12:47:22 AM

Quote:
Snorkius, a mercedes benz, and Bimmer is unaffordable. Are those cars bad product?

First, they are not unaffordable in europe.
Second, Bimmer=Beamer.

Third, if one was buying these cars in North America-
Yes they are a bad product if you view overpaying for what is proportionately less gain adjunctly compared to the increase in price as "bad".
I certainly do.
Intel is in the same boat.

----
RESIDENT FORUM WARRIOR
Support the terrorists, vote democrat
NV/AMD/IBM axis of evil team leader
Who cares about HL2/D3 when we have Call of Duty today!!
February 23, 2004 12:54:53 AM

SGI is not a relic there altix sell show very good improvement and sold a buch in 2003.Lower end altix been release they were just needing a cpu with power now they got it.

Just to show dad
February 23, 2004 3:33:50 PM

Apologize for what? Saying Intel's PR strategy did 3 things to negate AMD's technical advantage with AMD64?

Gimme a break.

You guys think I am an Intel fanboy, and you tend to forget that I don't give a hootin' nanny about any of them. That's the problem that you have, you actually base your opinions on the position of a multi-billion dollar company.

That, to me, in my opinion, is very sad.
February 23, 2004 3:43:50 PM

I cant belive you dont see one reason that ppl might be a tad bit upset with your remarks? I know you see it, I dont know why youd want to ignore it. I dont care about what you wrote about intel's pr or about amd, and i have a feeling there would be no threads at all concerning this if you hadnt tried to insult amd users. You cna make your point without attacking the other side. If it was ment sarcasticly or not ment to offend ppl, then unfortunately it didnt get taken that way. Im not saying you should stop writing or should be banned everywhere, but at least you can see why ppl have gotten angry and could at least say you didnt mean to offend anyone, without insulting them agian in the same sentence. If your not an intel fanboy, then it shouldnt be hard to admit you may have used the wrong words.
February 23, 2004 5:34:27 PM

RE: Apologize for what?

For writing nothing but trashy flamebait.

That's why your own editors disagree and its why most ppl here disagree it was unprofessional garbage.

But you are not going to apologize so why carry this on.

February 23, 2004 6:01:50 PM

Quote:
But you are not going to apologize so why carry this on.

Exactly my point!

Why post 500 topics in one day discussing the exact same thing when it's accomplishing NOTHING! Make ONE BLOODY THREAD saying how upset you are and stick to that one thread. I hate getting drowned in the mess of Omid suxxors AMD roxxors threads.

Why is it so important? It's not like Omid is here answering questions with blatent misinformation (ala SoD). We all know Omid isn't some kind of chip prophet. AMD will succeed or fail based on it's own merits; not by what Omid said or didn't say. You use what's best for you... it's only a CPU. Don't take it personally. If it does everything you want it to, then you can sit there with a smug smile on your face telling yourself how wrong Omid was.

Seriously now. Unless you helped design the thing, why take it personally? Why should it matter to you what Omid says? You write him off as a blathering idiot, yet you are here making like it DOES matter what he says. I know when it comes time for me to buy a new processor, I won't be asking Omid for his opinion, so what he writes doesn't mean sh!t to me.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>
February 23, 2004 6:44:30 PM

Re: Exactly my point!

What point? this is your first post in this thread.

You don't like the thread then ignor it.

The man should have apologized but he is not going to so I said i'd drop it.

If people in these forums want to respond to a column like omids its there right to do so untill they feel it's resolved wheather it takes 300 posts or not. If you don't like that zoron tuff luck find another thread.

February 23, 2004 7:52:39 PM

I believe I mentioned this last time the front page was plastered with anti-Omid threads. Are you trying to prove him right?

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>
February 23, 2004 7:55:58 PM

Quote:
Okay, point one, and I only do so in defense of Bruce and Tobias who wrote their articles in response to mine: they did it because, they felt strongly that they had to respond to my column.

Hi Omid. To start off, I actually supported your right to write that column, whether I agreed with it or not. (Which I only partially did, not that it really matters.) And you are right again, the other editors have every right to write their own rebuttal columns as well. That part is all good.

Quote:

Here however is where you go astray. Did you actually <i>read</i> their columns? Talk about lies, damn lies, and statistics! (As was already proven above, thankfully, and thus saving me the effort of doing so myself.) The amount of misinformation in them buries anything that you wrote six feet under. And the grammar between you three is just atrocious. No offense, but such bad writing from editors? Come on, Omid. There is certainly a plethora of <i>legitimate</i> reasons to be "ripping into editors". Certainly even you cannot deny that? :eek:  A bad article is a bad article no matter who wrote it or why.

"Sad is the elephant upon the ice who went to put on his wooly coat only to realize that he left it in his other trunk." - DeEvolution
February 23, 2004 9:31:10 PM

Quote:
Apologize for what?

Let's see, under your guidance THG has gone from a well thought out 1-2 reviews a week site to the current monstrosity it is. You obviously changed the format to cater more to the younger crowd by adding numerous game reviews for that all important page hit. That’s all your right. But then am I the only one that finds it odd that after you courted and received the viewing audience you were after (teens) then you rip into them for being just that? Perhaps you fail to realize that the Fanboyism you see from the two camps is not any different from what you experienced growing up with fast cars.

Here’s another tidbit, people that have to claim they have a life most often don't. And just who appointed you judge and jury anyways?

It's not what they tell you, its what they don't tell you!
February 27, 2004 8:11:51 AM

Re..."Apologize for what? Saying Intel's PR strategy did 3 things to negate AMD's technical advantage with AMD64?"

Omid, exactly where in this entire database of threads has anyone complained about you reporting about Intel's PR? Do you even read these posts before you respond with nonsense? Or does Intel hand you a list of retorts so all you have to do is cut and paste? This is why you sound completely unintelligent.

I am sure your next drivel will be something incoherent about masterbation or my mom. Which will be priceless...

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eatmeimadanish on 02/27/04 05:13 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
!