desktop icons wont open

Hello,
I recently purchased a new Dell computer, Dimension 3000 desktop. I
uninstalled the Norton antivirus and installed my own 5-in-1 software. Since
I did that I havent been able to open the icons my documents, my computer,
recycle bin, unused desktop items folder or get to my control panel from
desktop icons or start menu. I did the uninstall and re-install from my user
account and it is the only one I cannot access this stuff from, if I go to
another user account, those things will open. Did I mistakenly change
something or remove something I shouldnt have?
5 answers Last reply
More about desktop icons wont open

    Hello,
    I have the same problem except with my Sony Vaio PCV-RX550. After turning
    it off for a week, I turned it on to exactly the same problem, no desktop
    icons, no start menu, no taskbar etc., & no start-up programs start. I can
    use any programs or open any file by Alt+Control+Delete, (or Opening the Task
    Manager) & opening them under NEW TASK.

    I don't have mulitple user accounts though.

    Any help would be much appreciated, & thank you in advance for your time.
    -Joe

    sassafrasgyrl wrote:

    > Hello,
    > I recently purchased a new Dell computer, Dimension 3000 desktop. I
    > uninstalled the Norton antivirus and installed my own 5-in-1 software. Since
    > I did that I havent been able to open the icons my documents, my computer,
    > recycle bin, unused desktop items folder or get to my control panel from
    > desktop icons or start menu. I did the uninstall and re-install from my user
    > account and it is the only one I cannot access this stuff from, if I go to
    > another user account, those things will open. Did I mistakenly change
    > something or remove something I shouldnt have?

    Try running the file association fixes on Doug Knox' site at
    http://www.dougknox.com/. Click on Win XP Fixes | File Association
    Fixes. Start with the .exe file association fix.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    spookyjoe wrote:

    > Hello,
    > I have the same problem except with my Sony Vaio PCV-RX550. After turning
    > it off for a week, I turned it on to exactly the same problem, no desktop
    > icons, no start menu, no taskbar etc., & no start-up programs start. I can
    > use any programs or open any file by Alt+Control+Delete, (or Opening the Task
    > Manager) & opening them under NEW TASK.
    >
    > I don't have mulitple user accounts though.
    >
    > Any help would be much appreciated, & thank you in advance for your time.
    > -Joe
    >
    > "sassafrasgyrl" wrote:
    >

    >>Hello,
    >>I recently purchased a new Dell computer, Dimension 3000 desktop. I
    >>uninstalled the Norton antivirus and installed my own 5-in-1 software. Since
    >>I did that I havent been able to open the icons my documents, my computer,
    >>recycle bin, unused desktop items folder or get to my control panel from
    >>desktop icons or start menu. I did the uninstall and re-install from my user
    >>account and it is the only one I cannot access this stuff from, if I go to
    >>another user account, those things will open. Did I mistakenly change
    >>something or remove something I shouldnt have?

    spookyjoe, your problem isn't the same. Besides you shouldn't hijack
    another person's thread. Repost your question as a new thread.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Hello,
    See the thing is, all the icons are there, I can open internet explorer and
    yahoo messenger, but when I try and get into anything else like my documents
    or control panel, it makes a funny noise(kinda like huh, ya right!) and it
    wont open. I guess what I ended up doing was just going in under a different
    user and deleting my account and creating myself a new one. I hope that took
    care of the problem. Things seem to be working fine now. Let's see for how
    long......

    sassafrasgyrl wrote:

    > Hello,
    > See the thing is, all the icons are there, I can open internet explorer and
    > yahoo messenger, but when I try and get into anything else like my documents
    > or control panel, it makes a funny noise(kinda like huh, ya right!) and it
    > wont open. I guess what I ended up doing was just going in under a different
    > user and deleting my account and creating myself a new one. I hope that took
    > care of the problem. Things seem to be working fine now. Let's see for how
    > long......
    >
    > "sassafrasgyrl" wrote:
    >

    >>Hello,
    >>I recently purchased a new Dell computer, Dimension 3000 desktop. I
    >>uninstalled the Norton antivirus and installed my own 5-in-1 software. Since
    >>I did that I havent been able to open the icons my documents, my computer,
    >>recycle bin, unused desktop items folder or get to my control panel from
    >>desktop icons or start menu. I did the uninstall and re-install from my user
    >>account and it is the only one I cannot access this stuff from, if I go to
    >>another user account, those things will open. Did I mistakenly change
    >>something or remove something I shouldnt have?

    Glad it's fixed and thanks for posting back the fix.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Desktop Icons Windows XP