APC UPS query

mb

OK ---another very elementary question. After having a bit of a scare (power
outage last week; computer acted very flaky for a few hours but has been
working fine since) I took the advice of many on this group and today
purchased a UPS.

I bought the APC Back-UPS ES (500). I got it for $47. at Sams Club. It
seemed to be a good deal for my basic DIMENSION 2400 system.

Now, my question. I installed the Powerchute software. It seemed to install
just fine but it never asked any questions during the installation. So, my
question is what will it do??

Specifically, if I am gone and the system is on and there is a power
failure, will this software perform an orderly shutdown? Will it save open
files (suppose for some reason there is a WORD or WORKS file open)?

Mel

You can open it and adjust the settings. However,
the defaults are to beep every 30 seconds when
the power fails; throw up a warning at 50% battery
and shuts down at 10% battery power remaining.

"MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
> OK ---another very elementary question. After having a bit of a
scare (power
> outage last week; computer acted very flaky for a few hours but
has been
> working fine since) I took the advice of many on this group and
today
> purchased a UPS.
>
> I bought the APC Back-UPS ES (500). I got it for $47. at Sams
Club. It
> seemed to be a good deal for my basic DIMENSION 2400 system.
>
> Now, my question. I installed the Powerchute software. It
seemed to install
> just fine but it never asked any questions during the
installation. So, my
> question is what will it do??
>
> Specifically, if I am gone and the system is on and there is a
power
> failure, will this software perform an orderly shutdown? Will
it save open
> files (suppose for some reason there is a WORD or WORKS file
open)?

> Mel

Of course if curiosity is got to you, simply pull the plug from the wall and
time it out. It should do the job and save and shutdown the system in an
orderly fashion. APC used to suggest that you test the UPS in just such a
way but I am not sure if they still do.

Regards,
John O.

"MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
> OK ---another very elementary question. After having a bit of a scare
> (power
> outage last week; computer acted very flaky for a few hours but has been
> working fine since) I took the advice of many on this group and today
> purchased a UPS.
>
> I bought the APC Back-UPS ES (500). I got it for $47. at Sams Club. It
> seemed to be a good deal for my basic DIMENSION 2400 system.
>
> Now, my question. I installed the Powerchute software. It seemed to
> install
> just fine but it never asked any questions during the installation. So, my
> question is what will it do??
>
> Specifically, if I am gone and the system is on and there is a power
> failure, will this software perform an orderly shutdown? Will it save open
> files (suppose for some reason there is a WORD or WORKS file open)?
>
> Mel

TRENDING THREADS